Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #571 of 1,487
Just to breathe some extra life into the new IER series.
Got good buddies of mine to blind buy a IER-M7 for me as soon as the first stock landed in the SEA region a couple months ago already, and got it shipped back to EU via express courier. Don't regret a penny on these.

In typical sony fashion, their good, sometimes great products tend to be overlooked due to the massive consumer portfolio that are, lets be entirely honest, quite bad.
While technicalities aren't quite TOTL, I would pick these over the recent CFA products probably....

For those that may have missed it due to the tags not working properly, I did a fairly extensive write up on em'
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-m7.23437/reviews#review-21185

I had missed this review, thanks for reposting it. I agree with most if not all of your review.

I bought mine in Bangkok in October by accident! I went in to a Sony shop and saw the M7 and M9, new arrivals. Auditioned both and bought the M7. I think the main reason for buying the M7 over the M9 was the price. The difference at the time between the two was not that big to my ears and the M9 was almost double the price.

To be honest the first few weeks I had a bit buyers remorse for not buying the M9, but that have faded over time. The M7 doesn't wow at first but it's grows on you.

In many ways it's similar to Mrspeakers Aeon Open. Warm, smooth very coherent with excellent tonality. I can listen to it for hours without any fatigue. With my IT04 is the opposite, 1-2 hours and fatigue start to appear, but they also have a very different tuning.

I would not call the M7 boring but can understand why some does and the M7 is definitely not perfect. Low end are spot on, never overdone, just the right amount of quantity with good speed and slam. The Xelento mentioned above has (unfortunately) in my opinion way to much low end, otherwise it's a great iem. The biggest drawback with the M7 are probably the treble it would benefit with a bit more sparkle.

It's mentioned many times before! Both the M7 and M9 needs and wants lots of power. On my X7II in balanced I am way beyond 50% power (low gain).

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #572 of 1,487
This is a quote from https://nerdtechy.com/sony-ier-m7-m9-review
Who did a comparison between both M7 & M9

“By contrast, Sony IER-M9 are for someone willing to spare almost no expense in the pursuit of flawless audio fidelity. It might be the best sound performance per dollar in existence.”

Could be right here for the price I don’t know what is in the M9s league? Having said that I have not listened to all the latest IEMs either.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #573 of 1,487
What a long week, this weekend I’ll spend it with m9 and WM1A.

Listening this setup I realise how lucky I’m to have access to such a setup.

I’m thinking of experimenting with a variety of cables I got but I love how the stock cable feels.
Yep, the stock cable feels good, I've used it on my EX1000, it's a new experience, shame the design of the cable does not match. I want to try the Z1R before I consider the M9, although I'm not a fan of BA, but the M9 is a hard to beat IEM.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #575 of 1,487
7264E0BB-D5D5-42C7-AA9E-B3534B8BE4DE.jpeg
C353A151-BEC7-439F-B7D6-74A52F78AD0E.jpeg
Another purchase to end the year. Shilling hard for Sony.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #577 of 1,487
@toughnut Great new year present to yourself. Can you compare with Andromeda shortly?

I tried M9/M7 few times before buying, together with few TOTL (Solaris, Andro S, PP8, Trinity, CL2 etc). Solaris and M9 leave me with best impression but sadly Solaris fitment issue and that’s my main beef with Andro (plus potentially QC issue). M9 fit perfectly and not as fragile.

In term of M9 vs Andro SQ, I can’t say much better than this review below. Quite spot on, in term of treble airiness and bass presence. Bass presence a Plus in my book compared to Andro, not a Con. Sub bass extend deeper and more presence.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-m9-in-ear-monitor-headphones.23359/reviews

I see that you already have Solaris. If the fitment not an issue, you should stop looking and enjoy the music! It sound grand. The only advantages M9 over Solaris, with several short session with Solaris;
1. Not as sensitive, less/no hiss. In my case, with ZX300 Bal, zero hiss with M9. Andro/Solaris have audible hiss in quiet environment.
2. Fitment, as mentioned above. M9 also lighter IIRC.
3. Durability. M9 built like a tank. Solaris have that jewellery vibe. Give me less OCD and make M9 grab-and-go IEM. The matte finish matches ZX300. #matteblack

Yes, none above is related to sound lol

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #578 of 1,487
I tried M9/M7 few times before buying, together with few TOTL (Solaris, Andro S, PP8, Trinity, CL2 etc). Solaris and M9 leave me with best impression but sadly Solaris fitment issue and that’s my main beef with Andro (plus potentially QC issue). M9 fit perfectly and not as fragile.

In term of M9 vs Andro SQ, I can’t say much better than this review below. Quite spot on, in term of treble airiness and bass presence. Bass presence a Plus in my book compared to Andro, not a Con. Sub bass extend deeper and more presence.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-m9-in-ear-monitor-headphones.23359/reviews

I see that you already have Solaris. If the fitment not an issue, you should stop looking and enjoy the music! It sound grand. The only advantages M9 over Solaris, with several short session with Solaris;
1. Not as sensitive, less/no hiss. In my case, with ZX300 Bal, zero hiss with M9. Andro/Solaris have audible hiss in quiet environment.
3. Durability. M9 built like a tank. Solaris have that jewellery vibe. Give me less OCD and make M9 grab-and-go IEM. The matte finish matches ZX300. #matteblack

I really love Solaris, probably the best purchasing in 2018 for me.
Solaris body is bigger than the most earphones in the market, so it wouldn't fit for some people who has small ear/shape, but luckily I got a good seal with Solaris.
Thank you for the information that you shared. Most important advantage of M9 against to Solaris is sensitivity I think.

I missed this review, thank you.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #579 of 1,487

How were the Trinity's? Also I wish the Z1R was also matte black :/

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #580 of 1,487
How were the Trinity's? Also I wish the Z1R was also matte black :/
My impression seem not to align with other review on that piece. Maybe gear mismatch or lack of driving power? Was testing it out via iPhone dongle as my ZX300 run out of fuel that day lol. Can’t recall much as was not impressed due to fit alone. Treble sound shrill, mid is lifeless and bass is boomy.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #581 of 1,487
looking good

thanks for the review, just wondering why there is only 1, i mean these are Sony's TOTLs

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #582 of 1,487
Here's my take on the IER-M9s.

Background

I don’t write reviews much but I hang around Head-Fi sometimes. I pulled the trigger on the M9s a few weeks ago and they have really inspired me to write a review because these IEMs are really quite special. My knowledge of audio terminology is pretty basic; I’m not too comfortable with using some of the descriptors familiar to many on these forums (as I’m not sure I’ll be using them correctly or in the right context) so sound review wise it’ll be a bit different than a normal review, it’s more notes on my experience to date, plus it’s a bit heavier on real usage scenarios.

I come from someone who owned quite a few IEMs in the past usually all in the mid-range and test-drove quite a few higher range ones incl. Sony Ex1000, multi-BA Westones and UEs, never really liked them, either too sibilant or just plain tiring to listen to. Lately I owned the Sony XBA-N3 (which I annoyingly lost at the airport) and recently I’ve been using the iBasso IT01. I play these through my Sony ZX300 and sometimes through an original dragonfly black connected to a Samsung S8 phone and I also have a Beyerdynamic T1 at my desk through my Sound Blaster ZXR on my PC. My Beyer T1s are clearly on another level but it’s not exactly a correct comparison as they are open ended headphones. I also have a pair of Quad floor standing speakers in the Living Room. I won’t be comparing them directly all the time but these are all context to my music experience.

I was fairly pleased with my Sony N3s but there was way too much bass echo that it would overwhelm some male vocals and mid-range instruments on some pop tracks. They gave a kind of boominess to everything I play, much like the JVC FX range of wooden IEMs which I also used to own (and lost, at the airport). The IT01 were really quite a surprise, they were quite an upgrade on everything I ever owned in the past, and they sounded as good as the N3s I had without the boomy echo yet still had sufficient bass.

I listen to all kinds of music, rock, classical, pop, dnb, dance music, jazz, acoustics. I like my base but I also like texture, detail and a wide feel to the music and a separation to the different instruments that are being played. I do not like the original Dragonfly that I plug into my phone sometimes and generally stuff with an ESS Sabre DAC; they make very detailed music but it sounds flat with no-timbrey sibilance, it’s like everything is presented in front of you which is nice, but there’s no sound coming at me from any other direction. I generally like the Sony house sound of having sound in my head and all around with a slight V-shape.

Sound

They sound absolutely sublime, they have that perfect tonal balance to the music, ever so slightly v-shaped. It’s also got that high-end mid-to-high range zing to it, where certain synths or guitars are played on a track and you realise after hearing the M9s that it’s textured rather than just a single note that you thought it was in the past. I get that with my Beyer T1s also, and I know comparing it with headphones is apples vs oranges, but it’s the only time I’ve heard this effect before in an IEM.

The detail is remarkable and the magic is it doesn’t sound sibilant at all. It’s as if Sony tried to make a Beyer earphone but gave it the “Sony depth”. I’ve been hearing stuff in tracks that I haven’t heard before (cliched I know) but even when compared with my T1s. The isolation of the IEMs obviously helps, but it’s also the presentation of where the instruments are, it’s like they kind of have a separate little tweeter just for that particular instrument (given the amount of BAs in this device, it probably has..). I can hear the harmonics (intentional or otherwise) and plucking of guitars that again I’ve never heard before on some vocal/instrumental heavy tracks. I think it also has something to do with timing, it’s like I hear the flailing strum of a final flick of a cymbal or the click of a tongue as a word falls off that I never heard before because previous devices I’ve heard weren’t quick enough to pick it up.

Bass is strong, very deep, but it does not have that boomy bass echo that my N3s had. When the instruments/vocals kick in on a bass heavy track they do not sound recessed or covered as some earphones/headphones tend to present. There were certain bits in tracks, especially in EDM, between mid-bass and low-mid-range, that with past earphones would be muddy sounding which I just put down to poor recordings --nope they actually have detail there(!) that just weren’t translated properly. Again, it seems like a timing thing, I think some of the changes in bass attack are just so fast that some earphones (especially dynamic drivers?) just can’t pick it up. The best part about the bass: I can really crank the volume, the bass will go with it but there is zero loss in detail, I just get more detailed bass and it just scales, whereas I do that with a dynamic driver and at some point, it all just begins to sound rumbly.

Do you remember when you first got your first Discman, then you went and played your favourite song back on the cassette player and thought -wow, that sounded cack? Well I got that exact feeling listening back to some sub-300kbps MP3s. I know most of you can tell the difference but the difference gap is hugely magnified with the IER-M9, it felt the jump was as big as the Walkman --> CD-player in difference for me; especially the bass which was clearly very, very muddy on the MP3s. I can blind test this with the M9s and tell you whether that was a low bit rate MP3, high bit rate MP3 or a FLAC. Basically, anything sub 300kbps sounds like a cassette recording, high bit rate MP3s just sound thin but more remarkably though, 96-24 FLACs felt clearly thicker and had more “spatial separation” between instruments and voices than they do with a normal FLAC. This is something that normally I cannot tell much difference from on my normal IEMs or on my T1. Basically, these IEMs are really going to show up your MP3s or badly mastered tracks.

They require quite a bit of power, I’m usually on 76 volume (no gain) on my ZX300, whereas these need mid-90s for the same volume. I can also pick up very minor electronic disturbance from my PC where I couldn’t do before from my T1 headphones.

Ergonomics

The cable is very comfortable, it has no microphonics unlike the stock XBA-N3 cable. It’s got a 2 layer-protection thing going on; plastic on the outside and another inner-fabric layer, the combination somehow keeps it from tying itself in knots -this is really useful. The plastic is not overly thick either (looking at you Sony Kimber cable). The earhooks are perfect, there’s some microphonics if you rub the earhooks hard enough but nothing that’s going to affect everyday use, I imagine I can go running in these but I haven’t yet tried.

The box comes with 2 full sets of hybrid silicone rubber and triple comfort earbuds. The triple comforts don’t work well for me whereas the hybrid silicone ones are perfect. They’re not your standard silicone buds, these are different to the Sony XBA-N3 ones I had; these are thicker and they don’t get slippery after extended contact with your ear canal (grease). The seal is perfect, it totally isolates noise from the inside and out [had some DnB played right next to my wife, she couldn’t hear a thing (or chose not to?)]. You might want to be careful as well when you take them out because the seal is so good it always gives me a “suction effect” when I take them off.

Here’s the kicker: you know the little notch at the bottom where it labels the L and R. Well that’s not for aesthetic reasons, you use it to leverage the earphone in to your lower ear canal (as your ears are angled upwards ever so slightly) to get that seal. At least I’m using them for that purpose, and at first, I was hesitant to do so, fearing it might snap off but they’re completely solid. It’s such a quality of life plus that I don’t ever want to use another IEM without the notch. I really liked my N3s because it was fairly easy to push into my ears as it was designed to be slim laterally (although it still took some wiggling), whilst with my IT01’s I literally had to spend half a minute to push both of them in to get that good seal before I can start playing music. The M9s are just on another level in terms of ease-of-use: I just push the notch and I get a good seal, no more faffing around.

It’s also the combination of being built like a tank whilst being also fairly light and easy to insert that it really ticks one of my boxes for that “end-game-IEM”. Another box ticked is the understated look, no-bling or other BS so I can actually walk around the office and not have people think I’ve had a mid-life crisis or are able to look right through into the BA drivers and my ear canal (srsly What is with the design these days?).

Conclusion

In all, for me, I’ve been subconsciously going after *that* earphone, I’ve been chasing it no doubt but I was never willing to spend the silly money on some CIEMs on offer. This was an expensive purchase no doubt and although I currently own nothing of a similar price-point in the IEM space that I can compare directly with, I can assure people that are looking to jump up from the mid-range that it is indeed worth it for this set of earphones, they sound absolutely superb and technically the best thing I’ve heard. If you were to look for an alternative in the price-range, the points on ease-of-use (which I wouldn’t have factored in before making the purchase, but in hindsight I would, make these essential points knowing the quality-of-life differences that it would bring) would (at least for me) probably push this IEM well over the line vs the competition.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #583 of 1,487
Mikecli some great points you make - the only one I would disagree with is that the M9 is mildly v shaped. I would say it’s really well extended in the bass but it’s fairly neutrally balanced across the whole frequency range.

Happy New Year all from down under...

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #584 of 1,487
Nice review @mikecli. I agree on the the ease-of-use aspect. I missed the old Westone/Shure design with their matte finish and rugged look. Some might said it doesn’t look “high end” but crap I want something durable no-babying daily driver.

IMHO, if Xelento and Andromeda have a child, it’s M9. It fixed downside of both IEMs for me while combining the strength of both. Which meant Xelento and Andro off to chopping block!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back