Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Jul 11, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,471 of 1,485
Actually IER M7 and M9 bass are exactly same, with same BA driver, similar tuning.

Just because your budget is up for M9, i recommended M9 instead of M7 because the M9 is better on details and imaging and treble extension.

I owned the 3 IERs M7 M9 and Z1R but sold the M9 due funding for other audio equipment that time, but beside value price the M9 is absolutely better than M7
does i feel sound diferent upgraded from top of line of Meze IEMs meze rai penta 1DD 4BA to sony M9? im listen meze with warmer sounding ak sr25ii . if i try brighter dap shanling M7 maybe will get better sound and more details more open sounding set?

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #1,472 of 1,485
does i feel sound diferent upgraded from top of line of Meze IEMs meze rai penta 1DD 4BA to sony M9? im listen meze with warmer sounding ak sr25ii . if i try brighter dap shanling M7 maybe will get better sound and more details more open sounding set?
You will perceived more detailed or more analytical sounding especially on highs but i doubt the differences are that much, only more different tonality. "Better" is very subjective. Shanling house tuning also towards warm so I'm not too sure about it unless A B ing the 2 sources. And it's been a while since I heard the SR25, never try the mkII, I'm sorry.

About rai penta and M9, from my memory M9 have better imaging, better bass tuning to me and also more balanced. Better you try yourself and bring your Rai Penta to Sony or your local audio store mate.

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #1,473 of 1,485
You will perceived more detailed or more analytical sounding especially on highs but i doubt the differences are that much, only more different tonality. "Better" is very subjective. Shanling house tuning also towards warm so I'm not too sure about it unless A B ing the 2 sources. And it's been a while since I heard the SR25, never try the mkII, I'm sorry.

About rai penta and M9, from my memory M9 have better imaging, better bass tuning to me and also more balanced. Better you try yourself and bring your Rai Penta to Sony or your local audio store mate.
im compared A B sr25ii vs my rme adi2 fs dac and rme way neutral clean sound,sr25ii is warm. many like warm,but i like more sound my airpods pro ,neutral with details, not emphasis on any freequency. meze rai penta is neutral sounding,but a bit more mids pronounced,this good for me i like vocals forward,but need more highs too. for shanling M6 ultra is warm AK cpu,M7 is es9038pro bright cpu

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,474 of 1,485
I got the M7 at the time because I already had the Z1R. And I like it the M7 it is really not that bad, but has maybe a little bit less detail than the Z1R. I have never hear the M9 so I cannot comment on that one

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,475 of 1,485
I got the M7 at the time because I already had the Z1R. And I like it the M7 it is really not that bad, but has maybe a little bit less detail than the Z1R. I have never hear the M9 so I cannot comment on that one

M9 is just like older brother of M7, slightky better imaging and detail with slight more treble emphasize. M7 is like 80% of M9, yeah literally if you compare 4BAs in M7 and 5BAs in M9. They are both reference tuning IEMs and have similar tonality. M7 is more value but M9 is slightly better overall with better build shell

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,476 of 1,485
Between the IER-M7 and the IER-M9 is there much difference in sound?

What Sony inear do you recommend for metal and rock?

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,477 of 1,485

I have the IER-M7 and Z1R, and yes there's a notable difference between them. Mainly soundstage from Z1R is way bigger and spacious than M7. Also bass decay on M7 is faster and therefore less perceptible amount of punch

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,478 of 1,485

@DynamicEars described it nicely in his post:

M9 is just like older brother of M7, slightky better imaging and detail with slight more treble emphasize. M7 is like 80% of M9, yeah literally if you compare 4BAs in M7 and 5BAs in M9. They are both reference tuning IEMs and have similar tonality. M7 is more value but M9 is slightly better overall with better build shell

So the M7 and M9 are very similar in tuning, but comparing them head to head the M9 has noticeably better higher frequencies, better overall resolution, and better soundstage.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,479 of 1,485
I got the M9 and i really like it, never though of the Z1R after trying it out, just too big for my ears, and always drops out of my ears.
I like the M series, because they fit comfortable in the ears
I also have the classic EX series (EX600, EX800 and EX1000), and I really like those.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,480 of 1,485
I got the M9 and i really like it, never though of the Z1R after trying it out, just too big for my ears, and always drops out of my ears.
I also have the classic EX series (EX600, EX800 and EX1000), and I really like those.
Which one do you like the most from the ex?

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #1,481 of 1,485
All the EX series, I have them all at home like new, along with spare cable, and with 4.4 plugs, I know they are hard to find, so I got a few.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,482 of 1,485
Sorry but Rai penta is one of the worst iems ever made. It's objectively horrible. ANY sony will blow it away.

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,483 of 1,485
I like the M series, because they fit comfortable in the ears
I really wanted to like the EX800ST but it’s honestly unusable without EQ for 2/3 of my records. Even zoom calls can turn into a piercing sibilant mess.

With EQ however yeah I can understand the hype.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #1,484 of 1,485
And here I pull off the filter off my EX800st because they sound a tad muted for my taste.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #1,485 of 1,485
I not to demanding, as long as the sound is reasonable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back