Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Jul 9, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,456 of 1,485
I have monarch mkII and S8 too, they aren't in the same level with Z1R, not even Mest.
Z1R isnt warm, not having weak mids, they just overshadowed by great bass and excellent trebles, not the quantity but Z1R more famous for the bass and the trebles, but their mids aren't bad at all. Not too bassy too. The bass are impactful but not over in quantity on decent volume level and source.
i have meze rai penta .neutral linear sounding with big soundstage and very musical. for my ears maybe i need more highs. im not bassy head. what look to another iems to get a bit better sound vs rai penta. also im still not burn them,bought new half year ago and listen about 6-7hours in travel. mostly home use headphones. but want somethink with 7-10 drivers for fuller sound. but not bassy as z1r. want neutral or w shaped, monarch mk ii or fiio FH9 better or they same league sound with pentas? how this BGVP Phantom 8 Driver 2BA+2DD+2EST+2BCD ?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,457 of 1,485
I have monarch mkII and S8 too, they aren't in the same level with Z1R, not even Mest.
Z1R isnt warm, not having weak mids, they just overshadowed by great bass and excellent trebles, not the quantity but Z1R more famous for the bass and the trebles, but their mids aren't bad at all. Not too bassy too. The bass are impactful but not over in quantity on decent volume level and source.
Totally agree. Read about the mids before buying and I'm a fan of great mids with my M9's & SE846 and nothing wrong with Z1R mids for me.

Apart from the large size and therefore less comfy fit, I can't find a thing wrong with the Z1R sonically. Its like the best of all the others put together then add in the really wide sound stage.

I'm not a base head either, this is just natural, real sounding (and feeling) base, not over bloated.

I had a set of Sony XBA-N3 and sold them same day to a work college because I found it had over bloated base IMO

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,458 of 1,485
i have meze rai penta .neutral linear sounding with big soundstage and very musical. for my ears maybe i need more highs. im not bassy head. what look to another iems to get a bit better sound vs rai penta. also im still not burn them,bought new half year ago and listen about 6-7hours in travel. mostly home use headphones. but want somethink with 7-10 drivers for fuller sound. but not bassy as z1r. want neutral or w shaped, monarch mk ii or fiio FH9 better or they same league sound with pentas? how this BGVP Phantom 8 Driver 2BA+2DD+2EST+2BCD ?
How much is your budget actually?

Andromeda have similar tonality with Meze Rai Penta if you want similar. Driver numbers isn't always better.
S8 and Monarch mkII will have more bites on lower treble than Penta, they are more sub bass focused too instead of mid bass. The S8 is 8 BAs. Maybe you will like them

Sorry but your question back was looking for better than Z1R but in much cheaper price, so I simply answer nothing.

Actually you may like 64audio u12t, thats 12BAs and tonality quite neutral with great technicalities but you must ready for quite hefty price tag, they are sold around $2000 brand new.

How about trying sony IER-M9 instead? For me its a better set than Rai Penta, better imaging and bass too, and still on reference set, different tuning from the fun Z1R. They are around $1000 brand new, you can find used around $600ish if you're lucky. I owned the M9 too last time and kinda miss them.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,459 of 1,485

Andromeda have similar tonality with Meze Rai Penta if you want similar. Driver numbers isn't always better.
S8 and Monarch mkII will have more bites on lower treble than Penta, they are more sub bass focused too instead of mid bass. The S8 is 8 BAs. Maybe you will like them

Sorry but your question back was looking for better than Z1R but in much cheaper price, so I simply answer nothing.

Actually you may like 64audio u12t, thats 12BAs and tonality quite neutral with great technicalities but you must ready for quite hefty price tag, they are sold around $2000 brand new.

How about trying sony IER-M9 instead? For me its a better set than Rai Penta, better imaging and bass too, and still on reference set, different tuning from the fun Z1R. They are around $1000 brand new, you can find used around $600ish if you're lucky. I owned the M9 too last time and kinda miss them.
Agree again, my Noble K10U had... 10 BA drivers per side but the Z1R bests it IMO.

I will still use my M9 while out & about over my Z1R, down to size/weight/comfort, and they just stay in with no chance of dropping out of place.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,460 of 1,485

im about 800-900eur see at used top IEMs better for my meze penta. will see how good M9, but for 900eur maybe used z1r will find to try. so,new ones about 700eur priced like from grands thieaudio,dunu,moondrop,fiio wiil not better sounds vs meze rai penta ? better sounds new ones for 2000eur and them will get used for 1000eur is best sound/price ratio? im read that noble khan 2500eur valued only slightly better for meze rai penta sounds... so,from 1000eur and more all sounds top and very small difference?
im want find iems new or used for 700-900eur with this parametric :
  • Neutral sound signature with slight emphasis on vocals
  • Tight, linear but detailed bass
  • Lean but very articulate and uncolored midrange
  • Forward low to mid treble with good microdetail and decent extension
  • Decent stage but with superb separation and layering
  • Unique overall aesthetic and presentation

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #1,461 of 1,485
im about 800-900eur see at used top IEMs better for my meze penta. will see how good M9, but for 900eur maybe used z1r will find to try. so,new ones about 700eur priced like from grands thieaudio,dunu,moondrop,fiio wiil not better sounds vs meze rai penta ? better sounds new ones for 2000eur and them will get used for 1000eur is best sound/price ratio? im read that noble khan 2500eur valued only slightly better for meze rai penta sounds... so,from 1000eur and more all sounds top and very small difference?
Z1R is a big difference to M9 IMO.

Based on your bullets, the M9.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,462 of 1,485

I tried the Noble flagship, limited edition Noble Audio Nodachi that priced $6000ish and that was a flop, no better than my Monarch MkII, Z1R or Mest.
20230423_123653.jpg

And based on your preferences and budget, your first choice is the sony IER-M9. Brand new or budget, they are on your range.
Sony M9 is very difference tuning from Z1R despite being brother.
The M9 are tuned as reference tuning, with thick and bodied mids, linear bass that precise snappy, best BA bass I ever heard beside u12t. Mids are forward but not shouty or overdone. Soundstage isn't as large as Z1R but they are on correct spherical, think as studio reference size, with superb separation, imaging with layering that i think slightly better than Z1R. The imaging of M9 is one of the best I ever heard from IEM world, along with Mest and u12t and Odin.
Now it's easier to recommend you. Try the IER-M9 i think you'll like them.
Note : listen on high volume or slightly higher volume for more dynamics.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #1,463 of 1,485
I tried the Noble flagship, limited edition Noble Audio Nodachi that priced $6000ish and that was a flop, no better than my Monarch MkII, Z1R or Mest.

And based on your preferences and budget, your first choice is the sony IER-M9. Brand new or budget, they are on your range.
The M9 are tuned as reference tuning, with thick and bodied mids, linear bass that precise snappy, best BA bass I ever heard beside u12t. Mids are forward but not shouty or overdone. Soundstage isn't as large as Z1R but they are on correct spherical, think as studio reference size, with superb separation, imaging with layering that i think slightly better than Z1R. The imaging of M9 is one of the best I ever heard from IEM world, along with Mest and u12t and Odin.

For best neutral analysis/study of the music the M9. For pure musical pleasure, the Z1R.

With Noble your paying for the Jewelery Premium watch effect IMO.

My aspiration was a set of Z1R and now I have them I can't honestly see why I would want any others, except if Sony make a smaller, more ergonomic version of Z1R with near same sound.

Its early days for me with Z1R but already have the wow factor I didn't get with the M9 and if only keeping one for my tastes it would be the M9 being sold.

Plan to keep both as so different to each other.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,464 of 1,485
20230423_123653.jpg

im like want similar sound to my focal stellia sound,stellia neutral with punchy bass,but im add +6db highs with my rme adi2 fs dac, so, i want similar sounding IEMs. meze rai penta not bad,but seems missing a bit highs

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,465 of 1,485
20230423_123653.jpg

What volume (db) would you say to listen at for the dynamics? I tend to listen a bit quiet, my airpod pros list my average at around 60ish decibels

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #1,466 of 1,485
What volume (db) would you say to listen at for the dynamics? I tend to listen a bit quiet, my airpod pros list my average at around 60ish decibels
Not sure about the decibels but just play the M9 louder than your usual (applied to othet neutral reference tuned IEMs too)

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,467 of 1,485

andromeda is neutral sound with more highs vs meze rai penta, bass on penta i like and no need more. S8 maybe too bassy for me. M9 bass fast precise or deep like from DD ?

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,468 of 1,485
andromeda is neutral sound with more highs vs meze rai penta, bass on penta i like and no need more. S8 maybe too bassy for me. M9 bass fast precise or deep like from DD ?
M9 bass is from open BA, sounded great like u12t bass but more linear rather than sub bass focused on u12t.
M9 bass is fast and precise without smears, maybe you'll like it
On top of that the M9 speciality is the sharp imaging.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #1,469 of 1,485
You could tru IER-M7 its bass is also like DD bass but faster, great detail and imaging

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #1,470 of 1,485
Actually IER M7 and M9 bass are exactly same, with same BA driver, similar tuning.

Just because your budget is up for M9, i recommended M9 instead of M7 because the M9 is better on details and imaging and treble extension.

I owned the 3 IERs M7 M9 and Z1R but sold the M9 due funding for other audio equipment that time, but beside value price the M9 is absolutely better than M7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back