Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #528 of 1,487
Many thanks for sharing this. Good to know that m9 is on a different level. I currently have wm1a which might be OK to drive m9?

I don't want to say yes, but I want to say HELL YES! Best synergy if you ask me. A better pairing will be with the LPGT, but I love the onboard DSP features of WM1A so much, and with M9 you can really hear them work.

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #529 of 1,487
As much as I like my T8iEMKII (which is a warmer Xelento), M9 is just on a different level. It has the deep subbass of Xelento, when music calls for it, Xelento by nature always has that in its sound signature.
I say, if you can, save your money, get the M9 and later on a powerful source for it.

What about timbre/tonality?
I suppose the Xelento is more natural, emotional and engaging being a DD vs BA.

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #530 of 1,487
What about timbre/tonality?
I suppose the Xelento is more natural, emotional and engaging being a DD vs BA.
Supersingly I find the tonal balance of M9 more coherent than the single driver Xelento, which compared to M9 is less balanced.
The way DD physically moves air will always remain as such and no BA can copy it , but honestly M9 is truly a great all rounder, its an iem that upon first listen many will overlook as it isnt coloured to please or grabs attention. It needs a good source and it will shine if the recording has something to show off. As a result many will overlook it.

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #531 of 1,487
Supersingly I find the tonal balance of M9 more coherent than the single driver Xelento, which compared to M9 is less balanced.
The way DD physically moves air will always remain as such and no BA can copy it , but honestly M9 is truly a great all rounder, its an iem that upon first listen many will overlook as it isnt coloured to please or grabs attention. It needs a good source and it will shine if the recording has something to show off. As a result many will overlook it.
It's hard to believe. I'm using the Xelento and has a brief listen with the M9, I think the M9 is great but Xelento is more coherent and polite sounding

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #533 of 1,487
It's hard to believe. I'm using the Xelento and has a brief listen with the M9, I think the M9 is great but Xelento is more coherent and polite sounding
M9 is better all round than the Xelento. It's also better than any high end Campfire I've heard including Andro, Vega, Atlas, and Dorado. This is next on my shopping list.

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #535 of 1,487
M9 is better all round than the Xelento. It's also better than any high end Campfire I've heard including Andro, Vega, Atlas, and Dorado. This is next on my shopping list.

Totally agree. Campfire Audio is way over-rated anyway.

Dec 26, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #537 of 1,487
A2A allows demos? Might have to pop in sometime soon to give these new Sony IEMs a listen.

Yes they certainly do have a pair of M9's for demo. In sydney anyway.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #539 of 1,487
Yeah Dark wing the BAs are made in-house by Sony. They have a different topography than previous generations of Sony BAs.

I was able to do a demo prior to buying at A2A.
I brought my own dap too. Spent at least 45 minutes with the M9 and a demo pair of Noble Encores.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back