This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #196 of 1,370
This is truly awesome work. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Major kudos to Jason & Mike!!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #197 of 1,370
can anyone compare the amp to say, the hifimediy or ud100?

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #198 of 1,370
double

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #199 of 1,370
Triple

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #200 of 1,370
Quadruple, it was just the mobile view

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #202 of 1,370
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #204 of 1,370
Exactly. The Magni should be a dream come true for low impedance, highly sensitive headphones. Didn't like the D7000 off the Lyr...at all, and that's not even talking about the hum. The more neutral Magni should be a much better combo.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #205 of 1,370
Quote:
Possible AC PSU for Magni amp. I use this company's DC1 PSU for my sqeezebox, originally used on my Onkyo ND-S1
http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/ac2-power-supply

Well, that PSU costs 3.2x as much as the Magni.

Seems to me that it's not a cost-effective solution...would there not be better amps available for $425, or are you suggesting this as an option for someone who needs that high power output?

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #206 of 1,370
I will buy one Magni. At least. But not now, I'll do that once the really really big DAC is up for sale - and within financial reach. After all, I do live in Sweden. Shipping is surprisingly affordable, but it doesn't add up very well with these kind of prices. 
biggrin.gif

In many ways this is a fine fine complementary amp to the slightly impractical Mjolnir. But I have to ask, do Schiit ever intend to please those of us with sensitive ears and sensitive IEMs? This Magni, with that wondrously low output impedance, would be even more wonderful - to us - if it weren't for it's high gain. I'm guessing channel imbalance until it gets louder than I most often want it to be. I get that with my Mjolnir and my Denon 2000s... running single-ended. Maybe I'm just a little crazy for preferring my listening level that low. And buying that kind of loud-loving setup. 
tongue.gif

Point is, I don't really understand the high gain on this thing. I think you might never use the upper end of the volume pot. This is actually more or less standard on integrated stereo amps, which have headroom for speakers of much higher impedances than I've ever seen used. I don't get this practice. However, headphones comes with wildly varying impedances, which means the volume pot needs to span a larger range of amplifications. Let us do the easiest calculation, can you ever use the full volume pot without the amp clipping?

600 Ohms and 130 milliWatts equates to roughly 8.83 volts, using U² = R*P. Electrics were never my strongest part, but I'm pretty sure that holds. Dividing this by the gain, 5, would mean a signal of 1.77 volts.

And ouch, there goes my argument, this is actually spot on for a reasonably low signal. So, the gain is apparently correct in the easiest sense I could come up with: that in the situation that requires the most gain to drive the amp to clipping (low signal in and high impedance phones), you have just enough movement available on the pot to do that.

( The spec on 300 ohms gives the exact same voltage, the others lower at 7.07 V and 6.20 V - which means lower gain, lower volume setting, before clipping. )

I'm guessing that's a pretty unreasonable SPL though - but I do not know those equations yet. Could someone more knowledgeable elucidate us?

Hmm... I'm wondering if their upcoming monster of an amp will have a gain switch. I'm gonna have even more trouble not buying that one than I have right now not buying the Modi. Schiit.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #207 of 1,370
Well, it seems they are already shipping so we'll probably be seeing a few reviews or impressions pop up 'here and there'... I know I received an e-mail that it already shipped so... can't wait!!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #208 of 1,370
From what I know (also not an EE here!) the problem with limited usable range on volume pots stems from a physical limitation on their construction (within reasonably economic costs to build them.)

I cannot recall any amp with a audio taper volume control pot that I have owned over the years (receiver, preamp, integrated, or headamp) that I ran with the volume higher than 11 o'clock.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #209 of 1,370
Y'know... if I buy two of these and hack together some cables, it would be a great cheap "balanced" headphone amp  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back