There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jan 30, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #736 of 5,942
Yet another *very* interesting piece of info from Ultrasone: "We'll continue to concentrate on headphones and not diversify too much. It's a market I believe we're good at. For this year, we'll carry on with the models we have, but for 2007 we will be introducing up to five new products". This is according to Ultrasone's Michael Zirkel, in this interview.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #737 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see where you're coming from, but there might be semi-reliable methods to get a rough idea of the effect. For example, you could setup an Ultrasone and a Sennheiser where you measure their dB to be the same with an SPL meter. Then you make people put on both headphones and tell you which one they think is at a higher volume. You could make it a blind test and do something with the pads & headbands so the comfort & weight is identical, etc.

To make it more interesting, you then let them raise & lower the volume on each headphone until they feel they are at the same volume. Averaged over a large number of participants, this would actually start to give you some hard numbers (e.g. their alleged 40% lower dB output at the same loudness perception).

Of course all you would get are the participants' subjective opinions. But then again, we're always making a subjective decision when we move the volume knob.

No sweat. I wasn't really trying to make a technical point, and certainly wasn't attacking their claim as being frivilous, or even questioning whether it could be empirically tested. It's just that your question asked whether anyone had verified this 40% claim, and I was having a hard time trying to imagine how I'd be able to do that sort of thing myself.

But I suppose if I were to measure the output with an SPL meter at 90 dB (or whatever number) and then compare it to other headphones at the same output level, it would give me a sense of what they're talking about. For my purposes, I wouldn't need a whole lot more. As you say, you could then adjust the volume of the Ultrasones to where is "sounds" (to you) just as loud as the comparative headphones, and then measure them at that volume with an SPL meter.

So I guess I simply didn't think it through carefully enough. That kind of thing would good enough for me, because I'm not out to prove or refute any manufacturers claims. I just love music and enjoy playing around with gear and learning more. In fact, maybe I'll try it. The only problem is in determining how to accurately use my SPL meter with headphones. Perhaps I need a primer of that topic first.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #739 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet another *very* interesting piece of info from Ultrasone: "We'll continue to concentrate on headphones and not diversify too much. It's a market I believe we're good at. For this year, we'll carry on with the models we have, but for 2007 we will be introducing up to five new products". This is according to Ultrasone's Michael Zirkel, in this interview.

Thanks for the link, Zoide, I hadn't seen that one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #740 of 5,942
How would the ultrasone proline 750 sound comparing to the senn 600? I know; closed vs. open. But I am wondering. I like the sound of the senn 600 very much. Probably the best one I have heard. (Not that I have heard so many headphones
wink.gif
But anyways.. Wonder if anyone once compared the two of them.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #741 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
150 hours of burning-in Edition 9.

They sound 95% of the Edition 7 who has been used for many thousand hours and is fully burned-in.

Do you expect them to become equal to the Ed.7?
Or what exactly are you missing, where do you hear differences?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #742 of 5,942
Got my HFI-2200 ULE. I got even bigger discount on it because it was the last one they had, and it had been on display out of the box. Total price came down to 137 EUR.

Out of the box it doesn't sound very impressive but the bass is quite promising already. The headband and overall build quality feels very flimsy. I feel like I could snap the headband easily without applying too much force. The headband also squeaks quite a bit when bent.

It's time for burn-in!

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #743 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuhnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my HFI-2200 ULE. I got even bigger discount on it because it was the last one they had, and it had been on display out of the box. Total price came down to 137 EUR.

Out of the box it doesn't sound very impressive but the bass is quite promising already. The headband and overall build quality feels very flimsy. I feel like I could snap the headband easily without applying too much force. The headband also squeaks quite a bit when bent.

It's time for burn-in!

If it has been a display piece, I guess it has older type of headband? Anyway, enjoy.

Last piece? Are they going to stop selling Ultrasones!?
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #745 of 5,942
Oh. Well, it doesnt matter much anyway. Carbos doesnt have Proline 750 anymore anyway and its not a proper time for me to get one yet. (not to talk about lack of money and such)

But when the time comes, (summer, im waiting!!!) lets see if Starlike can match Meier Audios price, including shipping and all.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #746 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. Well, it doesnt matter much anyway. Carbos doesnt have Proline 750 anymore anyway and its not a proper time for me to get one yet. (not to talk about lack of money and such)

But when the time comes, (summer, im waiting!!!) lets see if Starlike can match Meier Audios price, including shipping and all.

MaZa,

By the summertime you'll be a Headphoneus Supremus (you're only 42 posts away at the moment) which means that there will be yet another Headphoneus Supremus Ultrasonista in our ranks!!! Plus who knows, at the rate that Dex is posting around Head-Fi spreading the good word about Ultrasones to any and all who care to read about it, we may have still another H.S.U. (Headphoneus Supremus Ultrasonista) by the summer.

Dex, I suggest that you send a PM to Jahn asking for some pointers on the best way to get your post count up there in a hurry. He seems to be the acknowledged master around these parts and he's one heck of a nice guy to boot, he's from NYC so I happen to know him.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #747 of 5,942
Fellow Ultrasonistas:

A few impressions from my Proline 650 as they're burning in:

- As often mentioned, you're really have to get used to the presentation first.
My first impression of the soundstage, was that everything was to the far left and right ,and the middle was a bit empty. But when you're getting used to it, it really is a different but good way of sound representation you get. I wouldn't call it "sourround" or "out of the head", but it's nice nevertheless.

-The middle was nice right from the start. Quality-like very near to the HD650, although the perception is quite different due to the "special soundstage".

- The bass is still a bit too much bloated in some of my songs, but with others it's just great, for example the organ piece from the demo cd sounds just right. if burn in settles the bass just a bit more, it will be really good in terms of extension and especially "ommmph!"
icon10.gif

Overall i really like the 650's, although i suspect, that even when burn in is completed, my other 650's - the HD650 - will still be my most favorite can.
But as the Proline 650 is "only" my complementary closed can, i couldn't be more happy (in this price range that is
cool.gif
)

Final judgment next week^^

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #748 of 5,942
How is this "3D effect". Anyone run them using CMSS3D with an X-Fi and also has experience with open cans or cans with prooved good positional sound like the A900?

Is it easy to pinpoint where the sound comes from?

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #749 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall i really like the 650's, although i suspect, that even when burn in is completed, my other 650's - the HD650 - will still be my most favorite can.
But as the Proline 650 is "only" my complementary closed can, i couldn't be more happy (in this price range that is
cool.gif
)

Nice to read this, rg!
650prolinetl7.png

Yes, I suspect that you'd absolutely need to move up to the PROline 2500 before you begin questioning your HD650; they are very nice cans indeed! But for closed and portable application I can totally understand how the PROline 650 have secured themselves a valued place in your repertoire.

I ordered the short iPod cable from Ultrasone today. Alexandra there could not have been kinder or more helpful!
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #750 of 5,942
My Proline 650s are gone now too. Rhymes Galore, I don't think the bass ever gets to the magical point that you are expecting. The HD650 is just superior to them unfortunately. They are a great sounding can none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back