There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jan 29, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #706 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is far from being the best qoute ever, this is only shows a little Ultrasone ignorance regarding that thye indeed are a different heapdhone with a different sound, and what is even more complicated a complete natural presentation that we are not used to, so IMO you can't judge the Ultrasone sound with the same rule you use for the rest of the heapdhones as simply they are different...This member simply will never understand the magic behind the Ultrasone heapdhones, or if he is trying to do it, he had choosen the hardest and longest way to do it...Of course his choice...

Sov, I've 30 years of varied experience in the local music scene, (though I'm certainly no musician), which you, of course, wouldn't know about, so I'm going to ignore the comment about my ignorance....
tongue.gif

However, I do think you're being crabby AND overprotective of your babies though.
blink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #707 of 5,942
Northern Sound & Light
253.00 but out of stock for at least 3 weeks. I called them last week. I paid 375.00 at a local store for my 2500

Oh I would like to mention that the 2500 are not very big. The ear cups are just big enough to cover my ears. Also they are not very thick and are very comfortable in my high back lounge chair and I can turn my head to the left or right with no problem. With the short cable they would be good size even for portable use. I e-mailed for a price and lenght for the short cord.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #708 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sov, I've 30 years of varied experience in the local music scene, (though I'm certainly no musician), which you, of course, wouldn't know about, so I'm going to ignore the comment about my ignorance....
tongue.gif

However, I do think you're being crabby AND overprotective of your babies though.
blink.gif

IIRC, Ultrasone is not that old of a technology, and of course that you do not need 30 years of experience in the audio field to understand them, but that will be a plus, of course...
You only need to have the headphones, and understand that they are not like the rest...period. Different headphones have different needs, this headphones need to be understood first, and compared later...otherwise you will never like them, or will like them if you try them for months, (the longest way)...There is nothing to protect, just to understand, psychoacoustic or not, that is the only way...

Just as an analogy, how many mechanics of 20 years of experience, went into school again while the GPS and Hybrid technologies came to the market? And probably the teacher was a 20 year old kid, that could be their grandson...Experience means very little while new technologies come to the market, and to ignore them is nothing bad, is logical, they are new...

BTW I did not mean any offense with my comment, sorry if you took it that way, and I know that sometimes my comments came across a little harsh. But IMO to ignore something does not mean that you are more or less than anybody else...BTW your reply at my original post was not so friendly neither, and IMO, was a little ironic as well...

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #709 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I would like to mention that the 2500 are not very big. The ear cups are just big enough to cover my ears. Also they are not very thick and are very comfortable in my high back lounge chair and I can turn my head to the left or right with no problem. With the short cable they would be good size even for portable use. I e-mailed for a price and lenght for the short cord.

Lou,

I take it you're well pleased with your 2500s and that they represent a solid worthwhile upgrade from the HD580s. I'm toying with the notion of upgrading and am only a couple years your junior. Hence my interest in your journey
smily_headphones1.gif

Best!

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #710 of 5,942
Bob A (SD)
HI: I am still burning them in. It is on day 6 so far so I am not listening to music till 200 hours but last night at about 1 am I listen to a TV movie and they sounded great with it. I did cheat a little with my Yanni live concert on my tivo and they sounded great also on music. I want to wait till the 200 hour burn in mark and then will have to accustom my ears to then for a while before I make a final judgment on them. I will say that I already sold my 580 in favor of the 2500. I am 64 years old and it nice to have a member near that age on board.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #711 of 5,942
Quote:

Bob A (SD)
HI: I am still burning them in. It is on day 6 so far so I am not listening to music till 200 hours but last night at about 1 am I listen to a TV movie and they sounded great with it. I did cheat a little with my Yanni live concert on my tivo and they sounded great also on music. I want to wait till the 200 hour burn in mark and then will have to accustom my ears to then for a while before I make a final judgment on them. I will say that I already sold my 580 in favor of the 2500. I am 64 years old and it nice to have a member near that age on board.

Lou,

Sorry about my confusion here. After going through the entire thread I found my eyes getting crossed
smily_headphones1.gif
Obviously I missed where you were still burning your 2500s in. I hit the big 60 in a few months and am retiring in just 2.

Your having sold your 580s already is an indicator although I respect your wanting to log a full 200 burn in first before providing a critique. I've lived with my 580s as my prime cans for 14 years now having bought them with my Headroom Supreme in Dec '93. I definitely have concerns about shifting colors after all this time. So I look forward to your analysis
smily_headphones1.gif
(As an aside the ESP-6As have long been retired although I seem to pull them out every year or so. The AKG K81DJs are used for exercise only. And the E2Cs only rarely these days.)

Best!

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #712 of 5,942
What seems to be the consensus about the 750/2500 with rock now that everyone's burn-in has been well under way? I read a lot about pianos sounding excellent, etc. but it seems there hasn't been that much evaluation with heavier music (metal, rock, punk, etc).

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #713 of 5,942
Bob A (SD)
HI: I must say that at our age at least for me my high end hearing is not what it use to be. LOL. but I am pleased to hear great high end with the 2500 but don't find it to be fatuging in the least. So far the 2500 seem to have a very full range of sound and very good comfort to boot.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #714 of 5,942
Quote:

Bob A (SD)
HI: I must say that at our age at least for me my high end hearing is not what it use to be. LOL. but I am pleased to hear great high end with the 2500 but don't find it to be fatuging in the least. So far the 2500 seem to have a very full range of sound and very good comfort to boot.

So thusfar you don't find yourself missing anything that the HD580s provided?

As for hearing, knock on wood, mine is quite good for my age... not as much degradation as the norm, which is a godsend given the enjoyment I get from my systems
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #715 of 5,942
Bob A (SD)
When I a/b the 2500 with the 580 with only 4 days of burn in I felt the 580 was more forward sounding with better comfort. I didn't take into consideration that the 2500 have a much different sound presentation over any other headphone that I have ever heard.

The 2500 offer a totally new sound experience for me. I have owned lots of different headphones but none of them offer what the ULTRASONE 2500 has to offer. Also I have read that the ULTRASONE take some getting use to. I am thrilled to have a new experience with a headphone and am more than ready for such a thing. The only other headphone that I have owned that comes close to the 2500 was the 701 but the 2500 has all that the 701 had to offer but with much better bass and sound presentation.

If you decide to try the ULTRASONE headphone check out the above Northern Sound & Light web site. They have the 2500 for 253.00 but aree out of stock for a while.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #716 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What seems to be the consensus about the 750/2500 with rock now that everyone's burn-in has been well under way? I read a lot about pianos sounding excellent, etc. but it seems there hasn't been that much evaluation with heavier music (metal, rock, punk, etc).

This is something I've really been wondering about as well. I've been very intrigued about the Ultrasones since I had a chance to listen to some really nice classical guitar music on the 2200 ULEs and the 750s at a local audio store. After finding this thread, I went back there with some of my own music and tried out the 2500s and the 750s again with some metal and industrial stuff, but I was quite underwhelmed compared to my previous experience - although it was very obvious that neither set was very well burned in, so I don't want to judge them too hastily.

So, I too would like to hear some opinions on how properly burned in Ultrasones handle heavier music. I'm also concerned with how well they deal with poorly recorded audio, since I find that a lot of metal is pretty bad in that respect. So far, what I've read hasn't been very promising.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #717 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is something I've really been wondering about as well. I've been very intrigued about the Ultrasones since I had a chance to listen to some really nice classical guitar music on the 2200 ULEs and the 750s at a local audio store. After finding this thread, I went back there with some of my own music and tried out the 2500s and the 750s again with some metal and industrial stuff, but I was quite underwhelmed compared to my previous experience - although it was very obvious that neither set was very well burned in, so I don't want to judge them too hastily.

So, I too would like to hear some opinions on how properly burned in Ultrasones handle heavier music. I'm also concerned with how well they deal with poorly recorded audio, since I find that a lot of metal is pretty bad in that respect. So far, what I've read hasn't been very promising.

I listen only Rock, and the handle it pretty well otherwise i would not kept them around, what for? They are very good for that....

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #718 of 5,942
Quote:

Bob A (SD)
When I a/b the 2500 with the 580 with only 4 days of burn in I felt the 580 was more forward sounding with better comfort.

You thought the HD-580s were more forward than the 2500s? That would mean the 2500s are waaaay too laid back, wouldn't it?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #719 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You thought the HD-580s were more forward than the 2500s? That would mean the 2500s are waaaay too laid back, wouldn't it?

No, the PROline 2500s are anything but laid back! They are grab you by the seat of your pants hang on you're in for the ride of your life here kinda cans.
tongue.gif
750prolinebx3.png

But they absolutely must be fully burned-in. I believe in the quote you referenced, Lou was only about 1/3 of the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back