There's Something About Ultrasone…
Dec 14, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #196 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. The issue with the Qualia 010 is fit, not burn-in. Get the fit right, no issues. No brain transplant necessary.

Sorry but we will disagree one more time, the echoe problem of the Qualia, does not go away with the proper fit, at all, it has nothing to do with it, see markl's posts about it. I tried all 3 sizes and all positions that you can imagine moving it all around my ears, and one should be right, and the echoe was still there in all positions, with all cables, with all amps, and in all fits...And yes I still need a brain transplant to accept that echoing sound honestly, as that do not happen with any other headphone I have heard, not even its small siblings (SA5K for example does not has that effect at all).... And it costs two times as much as the Edition 9, and ten times as much as the Prolines...BTW

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #197 of 5,942
I have a Proline2500 for almost 2 months now and they are simply amazing. what a sound! the bass, so deep and controlled, the mids and highs so clean, organic and neutral. I also find the phones to be analitical and musical at the same time. The soundstage is big and 3D. In comparasion with my Etys 4S they are just better in every way except isolation (but thats obvious). Not to say Etys are bad, far from it with lots of detail, very clear and neutral but imo lacking a bit of bass impact and musicality (i find them a bit boring with electronic music). It's just the proline2500 are on a diferent level and very comfortable. I use Foobar2000>ASIO>Dared MP5 which i find a great synergy. the tubes give the warmth and organic feel that balances well with the natural neutrality of the phones. I advise anyone to try these phones and be ready for a great time!
I listen to a lot of electronic music (techno, dub, industrial, trance psy, chillout, all kinds
smily_headphones1.gif
and sometimes i feel amazed how deep the bass can go, specially Scorn, with sub bass lines that go righ there to the 30hz field that makes such a wierd feeling to my head ( but gooooooood) without losing any defenition in the bass/lower mids. actualy in some tracks you can hear 2 and 3 bass lines very deep with diferent timbre and textures all mixed together. It's very interesting.
Another point i would like to talk about is the apresentation. The S-Logic is just great, giving you a great sense of space and making very easy to pin-point the instruments in the mix.

I think Ultrasone gain a customer for life, though i dont think i would buy $1500 cans, maybe because its very out of my range. I just wish a future version of the prolines to have less plastic, a more appealing design
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #198 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried all 3 sizes and all positions that you can imagine moving it all around my ears, and one should be right

Wrong again. By definition, you simply have not been able to get a good fit.

Not your fault though (the fit part). One of the worst design flaws of the Qualia 010 is their very limited adjustability. If the three headband sizes & minor screw tweaking do not produce a good fit, you are unfortunately SOL. Admittedly a bad design, and I would never recommend the Qualias to anyone who is not able to try a pair on in person before buying. But I digress...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusamars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the proline2500 are...very comfortable.

Compared to what - a medieval head vise??? One of the universal complaints about Ultrasones, even amongst fans of their sound, is the uncomfortable headband.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #199 of 5,942
Quote:

Not your fault though (the fit part). One of the worst design flaws of the Qualia 010 is their very limited adjustability. If the three headband sizes & minor screw tweaking do not produce a good fit, you are unfortunately SOL. Admittedly a bad design, and I would never recommend the Qualias to anyone who is not able to try a pair on in person before buying. But I digress...
Compared to what - a medieval head vise??? One of the universal complaints about Ultrasones, even amongst fans of their sound, is the uncomfortable headband.

That was one lightning-fast edit James!!!

Btw: I don't have any problems with their comfort either, and I've been wearing them for hours on end the last couple of days. Guess I'm used to the HD650...and the K81DJ.
Well, any way, my ears are not as prominent as they used to be any more.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #200 of 5,942
Quote:

Compared to what - a medieval head vise???

Actually, I've got a couple of those, and prefer the comfort of the Ultrasones by a wide margin.

You crack me up sometimes, Jimmy. So cantankerous, but always on point nonetheless.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #202 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK guys, I ordered a pair of 750's today
eggosmile.gif
. Now I just have to wait until they arrive... I can't wait

And then the burn-in starts.
tongue.gif

But since you're in Amsterdam you can come over here and have a sneak pre-audition if you want.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #204 of 5,942
Quote:

I really think they are comfy, and they're light. Universal complaints? i dont know about that jpelg
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #206 of 5,942
Quote:

Yeah right, I have heard the story many many times before, but honestly by definition I simply do not buy this "fit argument" of the Qualias, it may be true to you, and to many people, and if you want to buy it, that is up to you, but simply I found that story really hard to believe. IMO it is simply impossible for a headphone to be so picky with the position, and even harder to believe that any of the Sony engineers who design it, to be stupid enough to create a product which fit has to be adjusted by the watchmaker on duty in your town to get a proper fit, and over this offer only 3 sizes!!!!! OK I understand that to some degree the fit will make you heard better or worst this or that, or affect to some degree the sound, but not to a point of a hate/love situation, no way Jose!!! Sorry and for third time in a row, I do not believe that argument...I wish I would love it, but this never happen, I was looking for a real substitute, for the R-10, or for my beloved CD3K, but sorry this never happen...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Now about the third point, well more comfortable compared to any of the Grado line for example, a lot more comfortable if you ask me, those are indeed medieval torture sounding devices...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #207 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James, if I were still living in the States I would gladly send you my PROlines to try at your leisure.

Nonetheless, I do have a sporting proposition for you to help shed a little more light on this matter, if you feel up to the challenge.
280smile.gif

Check your PM inbox shortly for my cunning plan!
tongue.gif

Still waiting...are you still with us, James?
280smile.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #208 of 5,942
Anyone compared the 750/650/2500/2200 with either the Sennheiser HD650 or the Beyerdynamic 990?

I would be specially interested on how they compare on the bass department.

I find that my Ultrasone's Proline 650 bass is much more present and impactfull than either the HD650 or the Beyer 990.

If I would rate the bass of the Proline 650 a 10, the HD650 would be a 5 and the 990 would be a 6.

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #209 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compared the 750/650/2500/2200 with either the Sennheiser HD650 or the Beyerdynamic 990?

I would be specially interested on how they compare on the bass department.

I find that my Ultrasone's Proline 650 bass is much more present and impactfull than either the HD650 or the Beyer 990.

If I would rate the bass of the Proline 650 a 10, the HD650 would be a 5 and the 990 would be a 6.

I'm right now accumulating notes for a review of the 750s. My reference is the HD650, but in the balanced version. I am not yet decided about how they compare quality wise (in the bass department), but the overall first impression is that the 750 are now (after 200 hours of burn-in) at least as bass heavy as the HD650.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #210 of 5,942
It's good to see the Ultrasone thread active again. I'm looking forward to reading about Sovkiller's new Edition 9 phones once they arrive and speaking about new arrivals, I finally got my recabled Proline 750's back from Moon Audio earlier this week. It's been a crazy busy week at work and I haven't had the chance to really give them a good listen, however I'm hoping to post a new thread about my impressions of them this weekend.....
280smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back