There's Something About Ultrasone…
Dec 11, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #166 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have a Stealth coming up, to try as a replacement for the Prehead as a pre-amp. Altough I have heard that this amp is not the be-all-end-all of headphone amps, especially for lower impedance headphones, I am still also curious how this amp will perform with the Prolines.

'Scuse me for asking, Kees, but what is a Stealth?

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #168 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Ray Samuels pre-amp / headphone amp.

Thanks, it looks rather, uh, substantial!
dude.gif

Will it be with you for the meet?

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #169 of 5,942
i got the edition 9 about a week ago.

it is not so much better sounding then the 2500. they are super cool and very exclusive. to me it was worth the money for a serious collector.

you get most of the same sound from the 2500 though. that is not all that is important to me or probably anyone else that would buy them.

like the qualias, a lot goes into the "cool factor". not just the sq.

i knew that when i bought them and i am happy with them.

music_man

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #171 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, it looks rather, uh, substantial!
dude.gif

Will it be with you for the meet?

I won't bring it to the meet. Too fragile & far too much installing / uninstalling / packing / unpacking.

By the way, for those who want to listen to any of the gear I'm not bringing to Terneuzen (or who can't make it there): you can always come by and listen at my place. Just send me a PM and we'll arrange something.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #172 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it is not so much better sounding then the 2500. they are super cool and very exclusive. to me it was worth the money for a serious collector.

you get most of the same sound from the 2500 though. that is not all that is important to me or probably anyone else that would buy them.

music_man

I find this pretty hard to believe.
So you actually pay $1000 for the bling-factor?
Disappointing to say the least....
frown.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #173 of 5,942
Quote:

Strange only in that one is open (2500) and the other is closed (E9). Do you actually own both? How long have you had the E9?

Although I am not a fan of either one, I do know that the 2500 sounds different than its closed counterpart, the 750. And of course there is the infamous Ultrasone burn-in factor
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #174 of 5,942
Quote:

music_man

Did you get them in US? From whom? That is strange as IIRC I'm expecting mine from the first batch that will come to US (according to them), and it will ship this same week...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Now I'm pissed...
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #175 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I am not a fan of either one, I do know that the 2500 sounds different than its closed counterpart, the 750. And of course there is the infamous Ultrasone burn-in factor
wink.gif

So, would that be different as in even more muddy, or different as in slightly less muddy, but still really really muddy?

Welcome back to the thread, your insights into the Ultrasone sound have been missed.

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #176 of 5,942
Quote:

Welcome back to the thread, your insights into the Ultrasone sound have been missed.

Thanks, Dex. I'm just trying to get clarification myself.

Besides, I didn't want the three or four of you to be bored just talking amongst yourselves
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #177 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Dex. I'm just trying to get clarification myself.

Besides, I didn't want the three or four of you to be bored just talking amongst yourselves
wink.gif

No problemo, jpelg, it must get awfully tiresome engaging in the ho-hum, run-of-the-mill AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, etc. lovefests. Ultrasone retains that irresistible lure of the outsider, so no wonder you can't help yourself in wanting to be where the action is!
cool.gif

Besides, it is always a special thrill to see the Caped-Crusader (to quote Jim Morrison, "West is the Best") on the prowl!
images

Fun Fact: 28 different members (and most of them quite handsome indeed, let me assure you) have contributed to this thread.

Cheers, Dex

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #178 of 5,942
Quote:

Fun Fact: 28 different members (and most of them quite handsome indeed, let me assure you) have contributed to this thread.

Well, I' not so handsome, but 28 guys here, and a few hundreds in the pro industry worldwide, and a few more DJ's, well that makes a significant number for now, good enough, don't you think??? of course you will find million with htose earbuds around....but well at least not bad for a company that is only maybe a few years old, at least in the heapdhone industry...

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #179 of 5,942
i think the 750 sounds somewhat similar to the 2500. understanding that one is closed and the other is open. companies have a "house sound".

the e9 does not take this technology to the moon or something. it improves it somewhat. how much, i guess will be up to each individual person that hears all of the offerings. don't let the bling factor pull the wool over your eyes. i can't wait to sovkiller get's his. i wonder if he will agree with me or think they are out of this world. we'll see soon.

i should not have opened my mouth again. remember what happened in the k701 thread when i got them 2 weeks before anyone else? same deal. i work in the recording industry and have a relationship with some distributers/vendors.

anyhow i think they are very nice. i am not ashamed that they are a luxury item. i'll be honest they are very good. somewhat better than the 2500 with the same sound signature in mind. they are not putting the he90 or 02 in the trash as of this moment. i hope no one expected them to.

the 2500 were one of my favorite headphones(used extensively for recording). these are somewhat better. i'd say solid against the k701 or gs1000 leagues. if you already hate ultrasone then you are not going to like these either. they are not a departure from their other products. an improvement possibly.

the qualia sound completely different then these but i do not think that ultrasone would deny that it is the same idea behind these. they are "ultra luxury" headphones. i doubt that the rare sheep that were sacrificed for the ear pads improve the sound any more than a american bovine would. they do make them more valuable no doubt. these are aimed at the jet-set at least as much as they are at head-fi'ers. i don't think ultrasone would claim otherwise judging from the marketing material.

i am not saying they will let anyone down. if you are an ultrasone fan these take it a step further(in sound i mean). if you hate the other ultrasones these will probably not impress you at all. i guess that would mean jpelg.

beyond that i think i better wait to someone else has them in hand before i make more comments. that seems fair to ultrasone and everyone else.

music_man

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #180 of 5,942
Thank you for your early impressions, m_m.
280smile.gif

It seems that anytime such a statement product is released, it's bound to cause a stir, with some folks enchanted by its blingness as well as the inevitable questions about its real value. Problem is that reality has very little to do with it. Its worth lies only with the customer willing to pay for it, or not.

So I'm not surprised that the Edition 9 isn't leaps and bounds better sound-wise than the top PROlines. How could it be? Same driver, same basic application with a few select cosmetic refinements and comfort considerations.

Undoubtedly, the dual-entry cable must elevate it somewhat, and perhaps the finish of the ear-cups inside and out also comes into play, but it will still sound like an Ultrasone.

Glad you're enjoying them.

Cheers, Dex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back