There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #5,761 of 5,942
not really searching, just having fun...I had good faith in Ultrasone after hearing the 780 SS, but they seem to know little about HD-sounding mids....and apparently the T50RP has killer mids but a lousy SS.

The winning phone is the one that's got both. The cd3k is killer but can hardly play narrow stereo, everything's wiiiiiiiiide. I want the exact same but w/ a more scalable SS...I was told that the sa5k could be narrow or wide if needed but I need a closed phone, we'll see about the cd900st. Some rate it as high as the O2 and even cd3k owners call it very similar and yet even more detailed w/o the wide SS. The 780 SS was everything I could hope for AFAICR....versatile and not cavernous.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #5,762 of 5,942
What a coincidence. I am getting the sa5000 next week because I want to see if it really has a narrow soundstage. The pfr-v1 SS is perpetually big fyi, so you wouldn't like that.

Have you tried adding a 1mm layer of cotton inside the 780 earcups? Would likely improve mids.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #5,763 of 5,942
Well, you just made a phone/speakers analogy...I don't think speakers have such a versatile SS to boot, as it's fully dependent on the room shape. I want the cd3k sound w/ the 780 headstage, hah.

The 780 wasn't mine so I didn't dare modding it whatsoever...but there is no question that its headstage sounds like pure state of the art gold. Movies were quite something on this thing, oh my oh my.

I was told that the sa5k had a very natural heastage, not overblown/unreal like the cd3k...and a higher PRaT too \o/. The cd3k from a good source/low jitter transport sounds dreamy as if you were in a bubble, it will NEVER sound realistic.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #5,764 of 5,942
I find that the "quick release" ear pads on the Pro-750's have an annoying habit of working loose and dropping off from time to time.  Does anyone else share this peeve, and has anyone developed an ingenious mod to improve it?  I would not want to use glue - it seems that the little plastic tabs do not tighten up enough before they hit the end stops.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #5,765 of 5,942
Yes it happens from time to time. It´s a bit annoying since you have to figure out where the top end was. I have had my 900 so long the ear pads are shaped around my head a bit. But once every week or so. I would never think of gluing it or something. You never know when you want to fiddle with it again.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #5,766 of 5,942
It's very simple, turn the pads a bit further into the cups, just using like slightly more force than usual when turning the pads. It will then be a firm hold, I've never had it get loose on me when I do this.

And the earpads will go back to full thickness if you wash it, but it will lose its directional texture and become all fuzzy. Soak in lukewarm (not hot!) water for 10 minutes, then squeeze the pads lightly back into shape. You must dry it completely before wearing again or it will quickly compress again, maybe 20 hours of direct sunlight, if you try to speed it up by putting it near a heater, be careful not to make them too hot as they can get hot when there's water in them.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #5,767 of 5,942
Quote:
It's very simple, turn the pads a bit further into the cups, just using like slightly more force than usual when turning the pads. It will then be a firm hold, I've never had it get loose on me when I do this.

They don't seem to go much further. I think they're up against the end stops of the little tapered grooves they slot into.  After a closer look one side locks in pretty well, but the other one remains loose.  Perhaps just variations in manufacturing tolerance?

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #5,768 of 5,942
Maybe add more thickness to the switchpad things on the pads. I use mack's pillow soft silicone ear plugs for everything related to headphone mods :xf_eek:. I think if you coat the switchpads a bit before rotating them into the headphones they will be more reluctant to fall out.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #5,770 of 5,942
If you never heard ultrasones before, you might not like them (or maybe be schizo like me and hate and love them :D).

What kind of sound are you looking for? What source and do you have an amp? The good thing about pro 900 is we already know it sounds good when dampened.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #5,771 of 5,942
2900 hasn´t taken off it seems. Should been released together with the Pro 900 perhaps. Please buy both and come back :)

Otherwise it´s open vs closed so except for impact and isolation the 2900 should be better if done right. Bigger soundstage and more air should be a given unless they have other design goals then the 900.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #5,772 of 5,942

Quote:
If you never heard ultrasones before, you might not like them (or maybe be schizo like me and hate and love them :D).

What kind of sound are you looking for? What source and do you have an amp? The good thing about pro 900 is we already know it sounds good when dampened.

Well, i was looking for a definitive headphone for at least 5-6 years. I listen to all kind of genres (except maybe for classical, but i think that is because of my alessandro, with a simple iem like a she9800 with a good soundstage i'm enjoying even classical) i want a detailed sound still with a good bass (not an "oohmp oohmp" one). I'm not gonna use an amp for some months, but i'm gonna take a Yulon d100 in the future.

Quote:
2900 hasn´t taken off it seems. Should been released together with the Pro 900 perhaps. Please buy both and come back :)

Otherwise it´s open vs closed so except for impact and isolation the 2900 should be better if done right. Bigger soundstage and more air should be a given unless they have other design goals then the 900.

i can find them here:
http://www.redcoon.it/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B190851/cid/68002/Ultrasone_PRO900/
http://www.redcoon.it/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B237489/cid/68002/Ultrasone_Pro_2900/

Same price.

I think that the 2900 will be the best choices, i don't need isolation if they sounds better.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #5,773 of 5,942
Do you mind the bulky and somewhat heavy headband of the pro 900? For a phone for 5 years, I would like it to have streamlined exterior and low weight which I don't think the pro 900 has, but maybe these two things don't bother you. Another thing to consider is sometimes people consider ultrasones to have recessed mids, some like the sound, some do not. For studio headphones I may recommend them for their good technical performance, but for audiophiles looking for a "go to" phone for 5 years... not sure. I do know pro 900 sounds balanced when dampened, and the pro 2900, I speculate, MIGHT likely be more balanced than unmodded pro 900 because of its open design, ie less bass and more airiness.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5,774 of 5,942
Maybe i can try them, i've found an ultrasone shop in my town. I'm gonna email them.

The 2900 will be more lighter than the 900? For the recessed mids... maybe a little eq will solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back