There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jan 17, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #331 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, Alberto, you lost me up until this point
wink.gif
:

...with which I wholeheartedly agree. No matter what the final outcome (and believe me, there is much more to the 750s than these early-hours reveal), James is a mensch and a half for hanging with us in spite of our sometimes incomprehensible ravings!
750prolinebx3.png

Not sure what exactly did I say to get you lost? But I have explained that in several posts in other prior threads, that at the beginning, as I was comming from the CD3K, I was trying to modify the Ultrasones, as I thought that the offset of the drivers will make the frequency spectrum to appear similar to the "off axis" of an speaker, but it seems that this off axis sound was meticulously calculated along with the distributuion of the holes in the front panel to create the near field point inside the cup for the S-Logic sound by Florian, so there is no way of messing with that and get any better result...

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #332 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there a general consensus on which one sounds best? 750 or 2500? I've been on the edge of buying one for a while now but it's getting very difficult to decide on which one to get...

It is more a matter of preference, if you need intimacy, then the 750 will be for you, if you like the more airy sound, and the isolation is not an issue, get the 2500...

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #333 of 5,942
Quote:

So is there a general consensus on which one sounds best? 750 or 2500? I've been on the edge of buying one for a while now but it's getting very difficult to decide on which one to get...

Well, now that I've gotten both, I can add a little more to the advice.

If you are planning to keep your PROline 650, I would say go for the 2500, as they add just that little bit extra in bass extension, soundstage, and ease of delivery over the 750. And you just might find yourself willing to part with your HD650!
wink.gif

OTOH, If you would like a closed-can of the highest-order, then you will not go wrong with the 750, in which case your PROline 650 would be kinda redundant.
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #334 of 5,942
Quote:

I don't know about general consensus, but I prefer the 2500. I have made some observations on the 750, and most drawbacks I found in the 750 are not to be found in the 2500.
The reverb/echo in particular.
This seems to make the tonal balance a bit more even for the 2500.
Gives the sound overall a bit more body (the reverb can make the 750 sound a bit hollow sometimes).
They sound a bit "flatter" too for that matter.
More neutral, slightly less fun.

Just my 2c.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #335 of 5,942
Quote:

This is great!!! Something else to bicker endlessly about and in the most detailed and impassioned ways imaginable. Boy oh boy this is going to be so much fun!!

Where to begin....Let's see....

The Proline 750's are closed so without a key you can't unlock them and then they're completely useless. On the other hand the 2500's are open which means if you forget to shut them, they can sometimes lose many of things that make them sound so wonderful in the first place.

So as you can see choosing between these two very good headphones can be a rather difficult and confusing task. Plus asking for advice from the folks around here can only make that difficult task into an impossible one.
tongue.gif
blink.gif
280smile.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #337 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through open phones you get a better view on music, while through closed phones you get to see nothing.....
wink.gif

Good point but not entirely true since with closed phones you can always open up your mind and let the music flow in there by negating the effect of the closed in nature of the phones. With open phones you're starting at a disadvantage since the phones are already open and if you try to open your mind at the same time you run the risk of having both the music and your mind flow right out. Very dangerous and not recommended.

To summarize:

Closed phones are best for open minded people while open phones best are for close minded people.
580smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #338 of 5,942
Quote:

Through open phones you get a better view on music, while through closed phones you get to see nothing.....

Through open phones you hear the distracting expanse of life, while through closed you only hear music....

happy%20(24).gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #339 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by miroslav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through open phones you hear the distracting expanse of life, while through closed you only hear music....

happy%20%2824%29.gif

.....and that little voice in your head telling you over and over "You should have bought the open headphones, you should have bought the open headphones, you should have bought the open headphones, you should have bought the open headphones, you should have bought the open headphones, ...."

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #340 of 5,942
LOL! You guys crack me up!
tongue.gif

After 12 hours of bass-thumping Pink "I'm Not Dead" overnight (I finally found a use for that CD!), I switched to the "Gladiator Soundtrack" before I left for work this morning.

A quick listen displayed a very interesting soundstage. I can understand what they are trying to do, and what you guys have been writing about. It is definitely more diffuse, less direct than any standard headphone I've heard before. Yes, more 'speaker-like'. Natural and absolutely non-fatiguing.

I'm a little worried how much FR response is affected by this feature though. There is still rolled-off highs. Details seem a bit masked. Kinda like cross-feed affects FR. I know it's still early on. Does this open up that much? Maybe my source is too smooth? I may have to try listening with my (currently unused) Benchmark DAC1 instead to purk them up.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #341 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! You guys crack me up!
tongue.gif

After 12 hours of bass-thumping Pink "I'm Not Dead" overnight (I finally found a use for that CD!), I switched to the "Gladiator Soundtrack" before I left for work this morning.

A quick listen displayed a very interesting soundstage. I can understand what they are trying to do, and what you guys have been writing about. It is definitely more diffuse, less direct than any standard headphone I've heard before. Yes, more 'speaker-like'. Natural and absolutely non-fatiguing.

I'm a little worried how much FR response is affected by this feature though. There is still rolled-off highs. Details seem a bit masked. Kinda like cross-feed affects FR. I know it's still early on. Does this open up that much? Maybe my source is too smooth? I may have to try listening with my (currently unused) Benchmark DAC1 instead to purk them up.

Mine had a upper midrange rise to it at first that smoothed out to allow the highs prominance again. (The highs are there, just overwhelmed at first by the peaks that are smoothing off hour by hour for you!) Everything is very smooth now, so hold on - there is pristine sound at the end of the tunnel! I just came off of another five hour stretch of music-listening bliss with a huge range of music playing in shuffle mode, and had a wonderful time. (Operative word: silky!! Operative imagery: music that is like bathing in cream warmed to just the right temperature!!) My speakers are getting very jealous!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #342 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point but not entirely true since with closed phones you can always open up your mind and let the music flow in there by negating the effect of the closed in nature of the phones. With open phones you're starting at a disadvantage since the phones are already open and if you try to open your mind at the same time you run the risk of having both the music and your mind flow right out. Very dangerous and not recommended.

To summarize:

Closed phones are best for open minded people while open phones best are for close minded people.
580smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

If having an open mind in your vocabulary means you need the closed phones to keep the music from blowing in one ear and out the other, you have a point.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #344 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If having an open mind in your vocabulary means you need the closed phones to keep the music from blowing in one ear and out the other, you have a point.
tongue.gif

This is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to when I wrote that one can not get any kind of reasonable advice from anyone around here. We were discussing the use of open and closed headphones for use with open and closed minded people and you go and bring up the the shape of my head, particularly the point, which I happen to be quite sensitive about and don't like to talk about, let alone discuss on public forum. Thank you very much!!

Let's try to keep this discussion focused on the topic at hand and not stray into areas that have not bearing on the sound of headphones.

So going back to your statement, yes you are completely correct, that's exactly what can happen with an open mind when coupled with open headphones. Very risky business indeed.

Jan 17, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #345 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to when I wrote that one can not get any kind of reasonable advice from anyone around here. We were discussing the use of open and closed headphones for use with open and closed minded people and you go and bring up the the shape of my head, particularly the point, which I happen to be quite sensitive about and don't like to talk about, let alone discuss on public forum. Thank you very much!!

Let's try to keep this discussion focused on the topic at hand and not stray into areas that have not bearing on the sound of headphones.

So going back to your statement, yes you are completely correct, that's exactly what can happen with an open mind when coupled with open headphones. Very risky business indeed.

Well, for being on topic: I think acoustics count.
For some people more than others maybe.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back