There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jan 14, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #286 of 5,942
Any comparisons of the Sennheiser HD650 to another headphone far outside its general pricepoint is primarily for reference. The HD650/600/580 headphone is a well-known product of which many people are familiar, if not actually owned. This establishes common ground as basis for evaluating the other product.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #287 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comparisons of the Sennheiser HD650 to another headphone far outside its general pricepoint is primarily for reference. The HD650/600/580 headphone is a well-known product of which many people are familiar, if not actually owned. This establishes common ground as basis for evaluating the other product.

Is there any comparison made for any other purpose other than to serve as a reference for others???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Anyway, whatever...

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #288 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any comparison made for any other purpose other than to serve as a reference for others???

I said "primary reason". Of course there are others, Al.

The thing is that if a less expensive headphone performs well against a more expensive headphone, it will be considered an especially good value.

Comparisons of equally-priced products is just plain fair.

However, if a more expensive headphone performs better against a lower priced one, well...it just should.

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #290 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to look for some comparison posts again comparing the Proline 750 and 2500 differences in sound. Same drivers and positioning, just open vs closed. Does it make that big a difference? (Just an academic curiosity, as open cans would not serve my needs at all - well... except as a very pleasurable thing to own! But, I'm interested, nonetheless!)

Hey Terry,

I've had my PROline 2500 for a couple of months now, but there have been occasions when Mrs. Dex objects to the sound leaking from them.
basshead.gif

So when the after-Holiday sales came 'round here in Belgium, I finally picked up a pair of PROline 750 that I'd had my eye on for some time (along with a pair of scandalously-cheap HFI-2200 ULE
hfi2200ulezr6.png
; both for far less than the 750 list price alone
icon10.gif
).

I have just completed the burn-in on both and although it's early days yet, I can say that while the 2500 and 750 obviously share many of the same signature qualities, the difference between their respective open and closed-back designs is real and interesting, pretty much as one might expect comparing any other like-driver'd open/closed cans.

In short, the 2500s provide an ease of listening and spaciousness beyond that offered by the 750s, good though they are. Detail retrieval is about the same, but the extra breathing room afforded by the 2500 allows them to seem slightly less bright. Likewise bass and midrange are fuller and more natural sounding. I hope to do some more in-depth comparisons in the near-future.

Mind you, these are only the briefest impressions between the two and by no means reflect upon the 750 as stand-alone closed-back cans, and they may be more readily understood as degrees of nuance. I can also say that the PROline 750 are in quite another league from my HFI-650 (which I use in my portable rig), as well they should be. I'm thrilled to have them on-board as another killer option for those times when an open-back headphone just won't do.

So, Terry, if you're at all inclined to give the 2500s a go strictly for pleasure-listening, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the little extras that they offer!
750prolinebx3.png

Dex

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #291 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the first conclusion is that the descriptions from many first time users are correct. Ultrasone out of the box sound ordinary. That's the truth.

Correction. Ultrasone out of the box sound worse than ordinary. And on top of that, there's the offset driver orientation to contend with. And that's why Ultrasones are absolutely not the brand for anyone seeking instant gratification!

Quote:

By the way:
I don't know but I assume that the new Edition 9 headphones are old Edition 7 ones. Maybe they have sold only a 500 hundred and not all the 999 pieces. New cable, new colour for the earpads, new case.

Oh, dear, this should be worth a few pages from Alberto!
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #292 of 5,942
Quote:

The Edition 7 and 9 are now in my house together with the Proline 2500 and Proline 750.

The Edition 9 (from gaijin) - used only a few hours - are not burned-in.

I connected Edition 9, started the music and ... none of the magic I know from the Edition 7. Same signature of course, but that's all. At this time they are a pair of 300 Euro headphones.

Well, when I've bought the Proline 2500 new, it was the same. But after a burn-in - and I was a non-burn-in-believer till then - I think they will shine like the Edition 7 do.

So the first conclusion is that the descriptions from many first time users are correct. Ultrasone out of the box sound ordinary. That's the truth.

And I know that it is not easy to understand that the sound (not the Ultrasone house signature) will change that much.

But it does with my Proline 2500 headphones - and in two weeks we will know whether this will have happened again with the Edition 9!

!!!! Don't judge before the Ultrasone headphones are fully burned-in !!!!

By the way:
I don't know but I assume that the new Edition 9 headphones are old Edition 7 ones. Maybe they have sold only a 500 hundred and not all the 999 pieces. New cable, new colour for the earpads, new case.

Rudi own both as well, his pair of Edition7, that happen to be Wayne's, is on the 700+ order, IIRC, so at least they sold 700+ units, so do not understimate them...LOL...and he told me that they sound identical, so give them time, they will change, and I know they change, a lot...just a pic for your pleasure:

ultras0.jpg

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #295 of 5,942
Quote:

The serial number on the Edition 7 was on the case and on the cable, but not on the headphones themselves!

And what has Ultrasone now changed: Cable and case

I assume: They have sold 100 from 999 Edition 7 worldwide. The other 899 are changed in Edition 9 now. And when the 899 will be sold, Ultrasone will stop the Edition line. And the new line (still with the Edition drivers) will be much more comfortable. Hopefully!

Really, guys? Where did you get that info? From a reliable source, or are you speculating?....AFAIK Ultrasone sells the heapdhones to the dealers of course at dealers cost, I don't know to what extend a dealer will order an amount (and pay for it) imposible to sell from such expensive item, that issimply stupid, my guess is that they ordered them while they get an order...The Edition 9 batches are really small, I'm assuming that the 7 at that time was even smaller...And AFAIK Ultrasone do not take back the Editions as those are special ordered items, non returnable. From their website: "Item can not be returned. All sales final"

BTW the Edition drivers, are exactly the same as the ones used in the PROLines...

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #297 of 5,942
Quote:

AFAIK Ultrasone sells the heapdhones to the dealers of course at dealers cost,

Do you know that for certain? And if so, how?

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #298 of 5,942
Quote:

Speculating, not more.

Be careful with these speculations, there are a lot of people in this board, eager to convert the speculations into facts, not sure why???....It is not the fist time this happen...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I assume: They have sold 100 from 999 Edition 7 worldwide. The other 899 are changed in Edition 9 now. And when the 899 will be sold, Ultrasone will stop the Edition line. And the new line (still with the Edition drivers) will be much more comfortable. Hopefully!

I just made it mention again to the fact that they use the same drivers again as you seem to differentiate the Edition drivers from others, as stated above....maybe I misunderstood your post...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know that for certain? And if so, how?

Curiosity killed the cat!!!!

Good James, logic indicates that if they do not offer the dealers a discount on the price, how the hell they will get the profits, I do not know of any brand that gives the dealers and distributors full MSRP, do you???

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #299 of 5,942
...gee, and I thought my post about the "gotcha's" one could experience from the S-Logic pinnea-related listening system were going to be considered so ravishingly controversial! They harvested nary a peep of response! I guess timing was bad for that [really very controversial sounding] post...

(I edited my own review to point to those additional observations as a continuance. For the searchers to find someday.)

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #300 of 5,942
Quote:

logic indicates that if they do not offer the dealers a discount on the price, how the hell they will get the profits, I do not know of any brand that gives the dealers and distributors full MSRP, do you???

Of course dealers get their special cost - not the point. Your post indicated that you knew how Ultrasone handled distribution to their dealers.

So it seems that you too are speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back