THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,351 of 1,373
Quick question about staging i.e. specifically presentation on dynamic driver (Atrium) vs that of a relatively well-placed planar i.e. LCD4z for instance. Honestly I don't think the 4z has a particularly wide spacious sound stage comparatively when looking into the reviews. It does sound gorgeous (to my ears) but alas extremely intimate far as I can tell. I do not think I have ever really heard a headphone that has a truly wide and deep sound stage going by descriptions of this in many reviews. My current planar has just beautiful presentation, imminently listenable (I spend countless hours listening to it) but just really curious about how the Atrium would perform as a worthy stablemate to the venerable 4z. Since a prime attribute of the Atrium is the expansive sound stage, how would that compare to a planar driver in general, and the 4z planar in particular? Trying to imagine what such a wide and deep sound stage would be like referenced to my planars I have always owned (LCD1c, LCD2c, LCD3 pre-fazor, LCD-X, LCD4z, LCDi4) and never having listened to or owned a dynamic driver headphone. Obviously an actual audition to the new Atrium would be in order, but I have no way to do so.
Can't comment on the LCD-4z (haven't heard one), but I definitely have some thoughts about planar headphones co-existing w/dynamics.

From my first exposure to a planar headphone (ZMF Ori), I found them to sound significantly different from dynamics in certain ways:
  • Well-done planar bass pleases me to no end. It seems more pressurized and heavier than dynamic bass
  • Musical notes propagate differently from planar drivers: they just appear out of blackness, then disappear just as quickly. I've seen this described as inherently low driver distortion for planars...? Not sure, but I definitely hear it, particularly in the bass
  • Dynamics often soundstage with greater space and depth, though some planars are exceptional in this way, too
  • Dynamics vary quite a bit in their sound due to driver materials used (ie, biocellulose vs beryllium), while this is less of a factor w/planars
Net/net: I need both dynamics and planars.

Right now my top dynamic is the ZMF Verite Open, with the new Atrium in close pursuit. They sound rather different & each is spectacular in its own way.

My first-love planar remains the ZMF Ori; it gives me the best bass I've heard from any headphone other than the big Abyss. Recently I've gone crazy for the Final D8000 w/the Pro's "G" earpads. I've owned a number of planars, including a couple LCDs, but the D8000 is the first one that delivers everything I could ask for: musicality; great bass; big, expressive mids; high resolution; slight warmth.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,352 of 1,373
Thanks, great comments. Gonna have to order Atrium un-auditioned i think. May wait for an LTD in ironwood, cocobolo, blackwood etc. Sounds like the perfect complement to current cans. Plus gives me a good excuse to aim for a really good tube amp and the Holo May dac been lusting after... i guess it never really ends. 😕

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,353 of 1,373
I have had the Atrium for 3 days; thanks Zak for excellent international service.
As will all parcels, I left it in quarantine for 3 days as I need to take great care of my health.

A quick listen today was, as expected, inconclusive. Some quality to vocals, a touch of class showing through, but short on dynamics, space and musicality. A bit flat and not right,
But read on; this is what I expected from a device that has not run in.
I will be running it, at normal volume, on a stand that seals it similarly to my head, for about 20 hours a day and I expect to report a fundamental change in due course.

I'll mention running in as I found the following very significant. I had no axe to grind, no preconceived notions, nothing I wanted to prove, but it really happened.
I was voicing a pair of speakers and in particular was selecting a value for the main inductor on the woofer. Simulation (and experience of other builders) suggested a value of 1.2 to 1.4 mH, so I got inductors of 1.2mH and several small values about 0.1m; all were air cored by the same maker. I breadboarded the crossovers. Over a period, I narrowed it down to 0.1 or 0.2 in series with the 1.2mH, and swapped between these a few times. I then decided to try the 0.15 which I had not tried before.
The result was the speakers sounded well off, almost broken, all wrong. I was very puzzled ... I guessed the inductors were somehow wrong, and I was about to remove them. I didn't because it was a difficult task messing about in limited space behind the speakers, I had little time and just wanted to listen to music.
So I did that, and after a while the sound was OK; a few days later, say 10 hours use, the sound was very good.
The only explanation I have is that this piece of wire needed to run in; and I am totally perplexed by this!
What's more, the length of wire in the small 0.15mH indictor is very small compared to that in the 1.2mH inductor and in the amp OPT, yet the effect was clearly audible and I am not golden eared.
I know that opinions differ on the matter of running in. I can only say I know what I heard.

So I am expecting a significant improvement in the Atrium.

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,354 of 1,373
I have had the Atrium for 3 days; thanks Zak for excellent international service.
As will all parcels, I left it in quarantine for 3 days as I need to take great care of my health.

A quick listen today was, as expected, inconclusive. Some quality to vocals, a touch of class showing through, but short on dynamics, space and musicality. A bit flat and not right,
But read on; this is what I expected from a device that has not run in.
I will be running it, at normal volume, on a stand that seals it similarly to my head, for about 20 hours a day and I expect to report a fundamental change in due course.

I'll mention running in as I found the following very significant. I had no axe to grind, no preconceived notions, nothing I wanted to prove, but it really happened.
I was voicing a pair of speakers and in particular was selecting a value for the main inductor on the woofer. Simulation (and experience of other builders) suggested a value of 1.2 to 1.4 mH, so I got inductors of 1.2mH and several small values about 0.1m; all were air cored by the same maker. I breadboarded the crossovers. Over a period, I narrowed it down to 0.1 or 0.2 in series with the 1.2mH, and swapped between these a few times. I then decided to try the 0.15 which I had not tried before.
The result was the speakers sounded well off, almost broken, all wrong. I was very puzzled ... I guessed the inductors were somehow wrong, and I was about to remove them. I didn't because it was a difficult task messing about in limited space behind the speakers, I had little time and just wanted to listen to music.
So I did that, and after a while the sound was OK; a few days later, say 10 hours use, the sound was very good.
The only explanation I have is that this piece of wire needed to run in; and I am totally perplexed by this!
What's more, the length of wire in the small 0.15mH indictor is very small compared to that in the 1.2mH inductor and in the amp OPT, yet the effect was clearly audible and I am not golden eared.
I know that opinions differ on the matter of running in. I can only say I know what I heard.

So I am expecting a significant improvement in the Atrium.
Yeah, burn in on this headphone had probably the most significant changes in sound of any of my previous headphones.

We're moving all of the comments and questions on the Atrium over to this thread. Please post your impressions over there.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/page-28#post-16931719

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,355 of 1,373
Love these updates…

1651303749888.jpeg

May 1, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #1,357 of 1,373
This is an easy answer from my perspective. Here you go:

1) I don’t like to EQ. It bothers me when I pay over a thousand dollars for a headphone and I still need to EQ my purchase in order for it to sound good/acceptable. That’s fine for the cheaper lines, but once you get into the kilobuck range, manufacturers need to try harder.

2) It bothers me when a headphone manufacturer can’t also make their headphones comfortable and not too clampy. I’m sorry but it doesn’t matter how good a headphone sounds if you never want to wear it (cough, Abyss, Rosson Audio, cough).

3) It bothers me when a headphone is very expensive but has shoddy build quality. Yes, let’s put that Porsche engine inside the body of a Prius, said no one ever. The LCD 5 costs over $4000 and STILL uses glued on earpads. Sorry, unacceptable. And why can’t Grado make detachable cables? And don’t even get me started on Hifiman.

4) I don’t like headphones that have too much upper mid energy and/or too much treble energy. These types of tunings can wow you at first, but quickly become very fatiguing over time.

5) I don’t like headphones that have too little bass. They tend to sound thin and soulless. Bass is the rhythmic driving force of the music. It should be heard and have an impact on the listener.

6) I am not a fan of headphones that have a claustrophobic soundstage. A vast canvas gives the artist much more room to portray their masterpiece. Let the bird out of the cage and it might sing to you with a vigor you’ve never heard before.

So what am I going on about? Simple. All of the previous headphones that I have owned have at least one of the faults listed here, if not multiples of them.

ZMF is different. ZMF headphones, in stock form, are already tuned exceptionally well to sound natural or can be easily altered with pad rolling and mesh rolling.

ZMF headphones are very comfortable to wear, regardless of weight, and their earpads are super comfortable as well. In spite of that, ZMF offers headband accessories to further enhance wearing comfort and there is a plethora of earpad choices as well.

ZMF build quality is legendary for a reason. They’re built to last, come with a lifetime warranty on their drivers, use only premium materials, look ridiculously awesome, and are crafted with equal parts of love and artistry. They sound as good as they look and look as good as they sound. Their earpads can be easily swapped because they’re not glued on or held on by flimsy plastic nodules.

ZMF spends painstaking hours to tweak their tuning to sound natural, and never boring or ear-piercing painful. I really wish more manufacturers cared more about their stock tuning (cough, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Abyss, Grado, Ultrasone, Audio Technica, cough). Sorry had to clear my throat.

All ZMF headphones have BASS. Sure it may not be enough for bass heads, but it is never lacking. It’s also not just about quantity. ZMF has quality bass. Look at the frequency response of the Verite open, Auteur, and Atrium. The bass goes all the way down to 20hz with almost no roll off! You usually only see that with planars or closed backs. You almost never see that with dynamic open back models. Zach is a sub bass wizard 🧙‍♀️

And finally soundstage. ZMF may not have Sennheiser 800/800S soundstage vastness, but it’s never narrow or cramped. Even their closed back offerings sound more open than one would expect. And the Atrium takes staging to a whole new level in my opinion. I do not find myself wishing for more stage. I am not pining for or missing my old, beloved 800S that I bought and sold three times. I will not buy it for a fourth time.

So that is why I put ZMF above all of the others. It is the total package. It is a complete recipe. And where on God’s green earth are you going to find better customer service than Zach and Bevin? Good luck with that.

“Mess with best, die like the rest.”
Totally agree and well said. Especially the points on pads glued on (my 4z where I foolishly attempted to roll on some Dekoni fenestrated pads, since plagued with trying to keep pads on the cans dammit) and read on the LCD5 where the conversations immediately turned to best EQ solutions for them, while cost at $4500?!? And pads still glued on. Sound stage comments very salient and applicable as well. Finally the cool factor with the ZMF Atrium and others is apparent, and it does matter since that displays great QC and attention to detail. Some day I will own the Atrium for sure.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,358 of 1,373
Perhaps you are misquoting my review?

What I said was, via my former OTL amp, the sound was so 3D and sent out in such a gentle puff of tube goodness, that they lacked attack and immediacy for metal.

Via the Wells Dragon, the Atrium sounds like an unleashed beast, snapping and snarling and spewing molten metal
I suspect that most of the better SS amps are going to work just fine with the Atrium. And of course the dac is going to play a huge role in it as well. Peeps may be laying off a good bit of what the Atrium is doing to the headphones when much of that really has to do with the chain upstream of it. Just surmise and guess, I have not heard an Atrium and would dearly love to audition one. I think my GSX Mini is going to make that Atrium just sing so nice. Seriously impressed with this amp, may not be a Wells Audio heavy hitter, but very impressive performance nonetheless IMHO.

May 5, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,359 of 1,373
I am in the same boat.
My dream Atrium would be African Blackwood with stainless hardware
Exactly what I am waiting for; hope Zach and company decide to build this exact headphone someday. These pads slipping on my 4z are really bugging me. Advice: do not ever remove the pads on Audeze headphones to experiment with rolling pads, this will bring on endless grief from that day forward because it will be near impossible to keep pads glued on. And that really sucks. I have re-attached the pads three times now, Audeze has sent me the adhesive rings free of charge but it is a pain to clean everything up perfectly clean and start over again. Adhesive boogers get all over everything, just a total pain. The pad situation alone has me wanting Atrium very badly. Waiting for the build I would like to order though. 4z is working OK except for the pad thing.

May 5, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,360 of 1,373
Exactly what I am waiting for; hope Zach and company decide to build this exact headphone someday. These pads slipping on my 4z are really bugging me. Advice: do not ever remove the pads on Audeze headphones to experiment with rolling pads, this will bring on endless grief from that day forward because it will be near impossible to keep pads glued on. And that really sucks. I have re-attached the pads three times now, Audeze has sent me the adhesive rings free of charge but it is a pain to clean everything up perfectly clean and start over again. Adhesive boogers get all over everything, just a total pain. The pad situation alone has me wanting Atrium very badly. Waiting for the build I would like to order though. 4z is working OK except for the pad thing.
You may want to jump on the atrium thread in the summit fi section of the forums. The conversation was moved there.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,363 of 1,373
I sincerely apologize if this has been addressed earlier in the thread (I got chewed out on the Utopia thread for not "performing research" first), but how does the bass slam of the the Atrium compare to the VO and VC? I love the visceral impact of my VCs and am hoping to find something similar in a pair of open backs.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,364 of 1,373
I sincerely apologize if this has been addressed earlier in the thread (I got chewed out on the Utopia thread for not "performing research" first), but how does the bass slam of the the Atrium compare to the VO and VC? I love the visceral impact of my VCs and am hoping to find something similar in a pair of open backs.
I'd recommend using the other Atrium thread now.

But to answer your question, the Atrium punches a little (not a lot) harder than the VC, but has a bit less sub-bass rumble than the VC. The Atrium bass has a bit more decay and so it has a bit more "weight," but doesn't have the nimbleness of the VC's driver.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,365 of 1,373
THanks, didn't realize there was a separate thread. I'll repost my question. Appreciate your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back