THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,336 of 1,373
I think you'd like the stock mesh, which is indeed a great middle ground between the solid and Aeolus titan mesh.
Btw, you haven't put out your pad reviews for the Atrium yet have you @heliosphann?

I feel like I might be experiencing an almost opposite effect to what others are describing when rolling between the Universe Lambs and Auteur Lambs, so I'm interested in hearing your what your opinion is on how these compare. :)

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,337 of 1,373
Btw, you haven't put out your pad reviews for the Atrium yet have you @heliosphann?

I feel like I might be experiencing an almost opposite effect to what others are describing when rolling between the Universe Lambs and Auteur Lambs, so I'm interested in hearing your what your opinion is on how these compare. :)
Not yet, Been taking notes the last few weeks. I'm going to start writing it up this week, so hopefully I'll have it done by the weekend.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,338 of 1,373
The ZMF Atrium will be at iFi audio's booth at Axpona this week - booth 8104.

Zach was kind enough to send me a set for the week, and I'll post initial impressions soon!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #1,341 of 1,373
They are very, very different.

The LCD-5 is ruthlessly detailed, and that scratches a very specific audiophile itch for me... specifically, wanting to hear things in tracks that I just don't hear with less revealing gear. And although it's fairly linear, it's also a bit lean, so it's much more geared towards critical listening and peering into the music. The Atrium, by contrast, is much more about relaxing and getting lost in the music. It's warmer, bassier, and smoother than the LCD-5. It's not nearly as detailed, but then again, it wasn't built to be.
Finally someone presents an impression on the LCD5 that is simply honestly stated. Most reviews are just gushing about the headphone and don't really address the true LISTENABILITY per se. I have LCD4z (will always have this, all-time favorite by far). But I really want to try an Atrium for dynamic driver, and Atrium sounds just perfect for my desires to replace my LCD3 pre-fazor I un-wisely traded many moons ago. As far as amps, I have the GSX Mini, with DENAFRIPS Ares II dac, I expect this combo will work quite nicely with the Atrium. Appreciate all the reviews on the Atrium.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,343 of 1,373
Finally someone presents an impression on the LCD5 that is simply honestly stated. Most reviews are just gushing about the headphone and don't really address the true LISTENABILITY per se. I have LCD4z (will always have this, all-time favorite by far). But I really want to try an Atrium for dynamic driver, and Atrium sounds just perfect for my desires to replace my LCD3 pre-fazor I un-wisely traded many moons ago. As far as amps, I have the GSX Mini, with DENAFRIPS Ares II dac, I expect this combo will work quite nicely with the Atrium. Appreciate all the reviews on the Atrium.
I find the Jotunheim 2 (very clean, closely matched parts and very low distortion) really allows the tuning of the ZMF to stand out. I think Zach goes for a more linear tube sound than I do, so it makes sense to me that my warmish tubes don't quite do justice to Zach's design.

At least, that's what I think. Jot 2 is a great match for ZMF and beats tubes with my Auteur Wenge.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,344 of 1,373
I find the Jotunheim 2 (very clean, closely matched parts and very low distortion) really allows the tuning of the ZMF to stand out. I think Zach goes for a more linear tube sound than I do, so it makes sense to me that my warmish tubes don't quite do justice to Zach's design.

At least, that's what I think. Jot 2 is a great match for ZMF and beats tubes with my Auteur Wenge.
Well that's exciting! I have a Jot2, Bifrost 2, and Lyr 3 and I was hoping the Atrium I ordered would pair ok with those. Sounds like it will! 👍

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,345 of 1,373
Well that's exciting! I have a Jot2, Bifrost 2, and Lyr 3 and I was hoping the Atrium I ordered would pair ok with those. Sounds like it will! 👍
Of course now I'm hearing some new tubes in the Lyr 3 and thinking I may prefer that ... for this tune.

Still, I enjoy Zach's headphones through a great head amp like Jot 2 with it's no apologies dynamics. Tight bass dynamics add a certain amount of thump to Auteur that I think is intended. I use a slightly softer set up and there I noticed an occasional thud from Auteur. So I'm hoping Atrium makes Auteur less ... closed in and cardboardy. I love the Auteur when it has the soft yet impactful sound, not just a deadened thud. With the driver update I look forward to more athleticism from the biocells.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,347 of 1,373
Finally someone presents an impression on the LCD5 that is simply honestly stated. Most reviews are just gushing about the headphone and don't really address the true LISTENABILITY per se. I have LCD4z (will always have this, all-time favorite by far).

Thank you sir! It's the truth, or at least my perception of the truth. :relaxed:

So I have just ordered the Atrium. Looking forward!

I knew you couldn't resist! 🤣

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,348 of 1,373
So I have just ordered the Atrium. Looking forward!
Congrats! Do post your thoughts once you've gotten familiar with it. I've seen your videos on the Utopia and find it pretty much sums up what I love about that headphone. It just works so well as a whole package. I'd put Atrium in the same vein. For me the Utopia represents the pinnacle of classic neutral tuning packaged with great dynamics and technicalities. The Atrium represents the pinnacle of euphonic, warm sounding headphones with great dynamics and technicalities to back it up. Not as technically proficient in terms of overall resolution and refinement when compared to Susvara or Utopia but the biocell timbre is definitely something different and just sounds so enjoyable. Subjected to preference of course.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #1,349 of 1,373
Quick question about staging i.e. specifically presentation on dynamic driver (Atrium) vs that of a relatively well-placed planar i.e. LCD4z for instance. Honestly I don't think the 4z has a particularly wide spacious sound stage comparatively when looking into the reviews. It does sound gorgeous (to my ears) but alas extremely intimate far as I can tell. I do not think I have ever really heard a headphone that has a truly wide and deep sound stage going by descriptions of this in many reviews. My current planar has just beautiful presentation, imminently listenable (I spend countless hours listening to it) but just really curious about how the Atrium would perform as a worthy stablemate to the venerable 4z. Since a prime attribute of the Atrium is the expansive sound stage, how would that compare to a planar driver in general, and the 4z planar in particular? Trying to imagine what such a wide and deep sound stage would be like referenced to my planars I have always owned (LCD1c, LCD2c, LCD3 pre-fazor, LCD-X, LCD4z, LCDi4) and never having listened to or owned a dynamic driver headphone. Obviously an actual audition to the new Atrium would be in order, but I have no way to do so.

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,350 of 1,373
I knew you couldn't resist! 🤣
You know me too well, lol.

Congrats! Do post your thoughts once you've gotten familiar with it. I've seen your videos on the Utopia and find it pretty much sums up what I love about that headphone. It just works so well as a whole package. I'd put Atrium in the same vein. For me the Utopia represents the pinnacle of classic neutral tuning packaged with great dynamics and technicalities. The Atrium represents the pinnacle of euphonic, warm sounding headphones with great dynamics and technicalities to back it up. Not as technically proficient in terms of overall resolution and refinement when compared to Susvara or Utopia but the biocell timbre is definitely something different and just sounds so enjoyable. Subjected to preference of course.

For sure. That's what I hear! :)

Excited about @zach915m's latest creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back