The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #136 of 5,721
ok I've received my dummy TO99 + DIP8 holder, I just would like to know if G-Con fried his card
confused.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #138 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, connecting a true headphone amp to the line-out or headphone out (even with the high gain setting) improves the sound quality noticeably. It does atleast in my case. I use the STX amped output in high gain mode (not low or extra high...they doesn't sound as good) fed into the M^3 and it is a combination I'm so happy with, that I don't think I'll be upgrading my headphone setup for a while.

I'm using the STX -> M3 as well though, through the line out. It seems you're using the headphone out to feet it into the M3... with I guess some kind of a 1/4 -> RCA splitter? If so.. why not just straight line-out?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #139 of 5,721
here's a drawing from the data sheet - which i believe shows it from the bottom lme49713.jpg and one from the top lme49713top.jpg

this should allow you to bend them correctly. i've done about 12 of these between 49713s, 49710s, and 49720s, so i am pretty sure i know how to do it.

they benefit from a slight trim of lead lengths, and you have to push them in so they make good contact, but without shorting them to the can itself. as i have mentioned before, doing a dry-run with a spare ic socket helps, and the pins will hold their "molded" shape after they've been socketed for a day. you can also get out the dmm, and check for continuity between the pins and the can body to make sure they are not shorting. put an insulator on the shield, not the ic, and you should be fine.

hope that helps a bit more

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #140 of 5,721
does anybody know what is the best place to buy op-amps in europe? my local shops ask €25 for shipping from usa which is 2x more than op-amps i want. so any shops in europe that have op-amps actually in stock and don't overcharge on shipping?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #141 of 5,721
it was actually a lot easier to insert them in the STX holders than in the dummy one
smily_headphones1.gif

sound seems more bassy, but still very clear upper spectrum...less "thin", more "weight"...hope it won't change in the next burn-in days, coz I always had the feeling that the DIP8 4562/49720 would "lose" bass after break-in
redface.gif

PS: the trebles are definitely even cleaner
eek.gif

BTW, fzman, you didn't answer me about the STX+49720HA...does it hold to other <$300 external DAC's on top gear? like the HD800
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anybody know what is the best place to buy op-amps in europe?

ask National for samples
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #142 of 5,721
Quote:

does anybody know what is the best place to buy op-amps in europe? my local shops ask €25 for shipping from usa which is 2x more than op-amps i want. so any shops in europe that have op-amps actually in stock and don't overcharge on shipping?

You can try Digi-Key, they are have a large selection and outlets in Europe.
They should be OK for shipping.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #145 of 5,721
loving the 2 X LM49720 in I/V converter sockets.
perfect match for my denons.
treble has become much clearer & better controlled.
Bass is reduced a bit in quantity but is tighter & punchier than before & overall bass is more impactful than before.

pushed my HP upgrade for later
smily_headphones1.gif

ordered for 49720HA as well but am in no hurry to try them.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #147 of 5,721
thanks guys, i emailed the Digi-Key. hopefully they will ship them over here
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #148 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the STX -> M3 as well though, through the line out. It seems you're using the headphone out to feet it into the M3... with I guess some kind of a 1/4 -> RCA splitter? If so.. why not just straight line-out?

Make that three in the STX -> M3 club
biggrin.gif
dt880smile.png

I'm feeding through the lineout as well and I found better SQ that way tbh + that I can hook up my AD700 to the headphone out so I can use Dolby Headphone while gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have to put the volume to 1 (yes 1!) for the AD700's lol. Even then it's sometimes too loud thus I have to change the game volume in game.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #149 of 5,721
leeperry: Haha, perhaps I should have been clear that my card was definately not fried by my attempts. I did only try the one time to get 49270 working, I didn't attempt to reseat them. I'm going to give it another go after work today. I think I have to bend the pins a bit better, make them straighter and more vertical like DIP8 pins.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #150 of 5,721
Quote:

thanks guys, i emailed the Digi-Key. hopefully they will ship them over here
smile.gif

They should as they have outlets in Europe IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back