The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 24, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #89,896 of 91,357
Audio nirvana, so unbelievably happy with my current chain 😍

Goosebumps:
https://tidal.com/album/69450911?u

Surprise recommendations for bass 😄
https://tidal.com/album/198338716?u

+1 on using iem with desktop dac amp. I know how expensive my RS8 is but every iem i plug into Serenade sound heavenly with a huge soundstage and realistic timbre. Feiwan treble sound almost like Annihilator with this pair up. Also the stage i thought i was wearing headphone, it sound as if i am in a big studio room. Only one weakness of serenade is there is a background noise with sensitive iem.

Attachments

• IMG20240524202436.jpg
    IMG20240524202436.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #89,897 of 91,357
It does look awesome and I love the small footprint, but... 7ohm output impedance from 4.4mm :frowning2:

Yeah I read mention of that - what sort of limitations would that create?

May 24, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #89,898 of 91,357
Yeah I read mention of that - what sort of limitations would that create?
It will alter the sound of low impedance gear. Unless the IEM/headphone has flat impedance tech, then it should be fine.

May 24, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #89,900 of 91,357
+1 on using iem with desktop dac amp. I know how expensive my RS8 is but every iem i plug into Serenade sound heavenly with a huge soundstage and realistic timbre. Feiwan treble sound almost like Annihilator with this pair up. Also the stage i thought i was wearing headphone, it sound as if i am in a big studio room. Only one weakness of serenade is there is a background noise with sensitive iem.
The counter 'argument' to this is that, sound quality aside, I personally switched to IEMs and DAPs to get away from having to sit at a desk to listen to music, or worry about clean AC power, or mess with digital cables and DDCs. Yes, of course SQ will generally improve between DAP and desktop, but that's only if you're willing to give up on true portability/mobility (or willing to spend upwards of $6K on a transportable desktop-grade source like Mjolnir or DMP-1Z).

May 24, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #89,901 of 91,357
The counter 'argument' to this is that, sound quality aside, I personally switched to IEMs and DAPs to get away from having to sit at a desk to listen to music, or worry about clean AC power, or mess with digital cables and DDCs. Yes, of course SQ will generally improve between DAP and desktop, but that's only if you're willing to give up on true portability/mobility (or willing to spend upwards of $6K on a transportable desktop-grade source like Mjolnir or DMP-1Z).
Yeah true, walking around with a desktop amp is not practical 😅

And I was on the same boat as you for a long time. But when im honest with myself, unless im on holiday, I generally sit at my desk.
But I work as an IT Engineer for a living, so its easy for me to talk..

Edit: with that I mean: I’m bound to my desk anyway 😋

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #89,902 of 91,357
May 24, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #89,903 of 91,357

+1. I have no comment on the sonic advantages in using desktop-- or even portable amps...but for me they negate the primary advantage of IEMs, namely their convenience and portability.

In other news it looks like we'll hit 6k pages today or tomorrow.

May 24, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #89,905 of 91,357
you can just pick up a MEST MKIII, it's the same IEM but with better build quality.
Actually they sound different and fit slightly different too. I much preferred the Mk3.

Audio nirvana, so unbelievably happy with my current chain 😍

Goosebumps:
https://tidal.com/album/69450911?u

Surprise recommendations for bass 😄
https://tidal.com/album/198338716?u

What IEM cable is that? I dig thin cables!

If people are looking for low profile tips, these are amazing:

They came with the Supreme v3 and are the only tips that work for me with this IEM.

After testing dozens, these are the only way for my ears to stay in, stay comfortable and keep great sound
Epro tips are nice but I must say they added some odd tuning to the midrange in all the IEMs I tried them with.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #89,906 of 91,357
If people are looking for low profile tips, these are amazing:

IMG_6588.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

They came with the Supreme v3 and are the only tips that work for me with this IEM.

After testing dozens, these are the only way for my ears to stay in, stay comfortable and keep great sound
They are quite comfortable and tend to sit firm due to the sticky but soft material, but there was one time that the tip stayed inside my ear when I took my IEMs off (VE Phonix). Had to get someone else with a pair of tweezers to pry it out.

Probably not a problem with IEMs that have lips on the bore to stop tips from sliding out, but I'd say you might want to be a bit more careful when taking your IEMs off, especially when the tip has been used for a while.

May 24, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #89,907 of 91,357
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #89,908 of 91,357
Yeah true, walking around with a desktop amp is not practical 😅

And I was on the same boat as you for a long time. But when im honest with myself, unless im on holiday, I generally sit at my desk.
But I work as an IT Engineer for a living, so its easy for me to talk..

Edit: with that I mean: I’m bound to my desk anyway 😋
Yeah, same here.......except I'm retired, so the desk released me but my club chair adopted me and now I'm bound to that! :beyersmile:

May 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #89,909 of 91,357
In my opinion DAP definitely have a place in my heart for portability because i dont need to trouble myself with EMI from my phone while using dongle. Problem is my DAP is RS8 and it is very big and heavy ( i used to bring it outside until accident happen . It fell and i dent the corner of it :sweat_smile:). I bought it because i like how it sound and use it while moving in the house but if im going out i have no other choice i use my dongle. So for my own personal use while in front of my computer i use my desktop and if im doing something else in the house i use my DAP and if im going out of the house i just bring dongle with me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #89,910 of 91,357
Admitting mistakes and fixing them is quite plausibly one of Life's Toughest Tasks.

After two weeks of my Project #2 being live I had faced just that. I was not particularly happy with how it turned out as a whole. Thus, I have started reconsidering it and forming a picture in my mind about how I'd want it to look & most importantly, sound. So here it comes.

Project #2, Take 2.0 is now Live and I would appreciate any likes or comments, whether positive or (constructively) negative. Also, subscribe if you wish to see where this leads me next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back