The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 24, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #89,926 of 91,357
Share a photo of a setup that’s bringing you joy lately .

0CC6A29C-086D-41AF-B5D5-B0B93B987489.jpeg
IMG_6595.jpeg

May 24, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #89,927 of 91,357
Yes, but said price combination doesn't say everything about SQ. Pretty sure I will prefer some $300 IEMs with a $2,700 cable over certain $3,000 IEMs with their stock cable. I don't see why one approach would be better than the other in a hobby in which it's all about preferences.

drftr
I'm pretty sure I'd never prefer a $300 IEM with a $2700 cable over a $3000 IEM with stock cable. The way I see it is that cables are a medium for speaker's sound to reach your ear, and this can reach neutrally or with some sound frequencies tamed. But it can't add to the technical aspects of the speaker.

At the $300 price range, the speaker's quality/capability would be pretty restrained and an expensive cable can only bring that (restrained) capability in the best way it can. On the other hand, a $3000 IEM with quality components should be able to perform better even with an average purity/quality cable because it at least has the technical capabilities in the first place.

Of course, here I am considering normal 'good' IEMs and cables and not rip-off products. Also presuming that in spending $3000 total the customer expects great tuning (to one's tastes) AND technical performance.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #89,928 of 91,357
@Rockwell75 spotted you got the Penon Voltage now, mind sharing some first impressions?

I'll be sure to post some this weekend. At first blush it seems to have a lot in common with the V2 Eletech Romeo.

May 24, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #89,929 of 91,357

0CC6A29C-086D-41AF-B5D5-B0B93B987489.jpeg
1000022631.jpg

Just recieved yesterday and it's completely lived up to the hype for me and beyond!

May 24, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #89,930 of 91,357
May 24, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #89,931 of 91,357
Would be cool to see more IEM’s look like they are made from wood, like AP, or Promission X.

I think Noble uses the technique to make those, yet not with real wood (or maybe I just dont know them). Pick a razin block and cnc the shels out if it. Instead of rasin uv models

Wood + cast metal is such a good combo for a lot of things. Now lets see it in IEM’s 😄

IMG_6593.jpeg
IMG_6592.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
There's zeitgeistgermany. They have some pretty cool looking IEM’s. All in 2×BA configuration
1000027990.jpg

May 24, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #89,934 of 91,357
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #89,935 of 91,357
May 24, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #89,936 of 91,357

"setups" for me I suppose as I am still rocking the Storm + Sovereign Symphony at home and Craft Ears Omnium CIEM for the gym set.

IMG_0284.JPG

The piece de resistance... Lotoo Mjolnir, for me this is the ultimate reference "DAP" yet never sounds sterile to my ears. Just pure playback, never imposing, and stupidly technical at the same time. If you want colored or "fun" this is not it, but if you enjoy your IEM as is then I'm not sure I've heard anything come close to this level. Almost 3 months of ownership now and I am still blown away every time I use it but I love what I would consider neutral sources.

IMG_0102 2.jpg

The SP3000T... not something I'd ever recommend as THE dap if you are a Storm owner. It doesn't drive Storm that great and sort of makes the transients sound a tad fuzzy, losing their clean and defined hard edge and making the bass dynamics come off more blunted. But the trade-off here for me is the tonality it brings... the mid range is warm, textured, and intoxicating, rather laid back with a focus on vocals. It's a very good complement to the Mjolnir in both tonality and techs, but it's still incredibly enjoyable IMO.

IMG_0366.JPG

Last but not least.. the little engine that.. CAN! Quloos MUB1 bluetooth & USB C DAC/AMP. The guys over at Elise Audio love this and I can see why. This thing is tiny and packs one hell of a punch. Very dark background, excellent driving power (it drives Storm quite a bit better than SP3000T) all in a small and easily pocketable footprint. The tonality leans warm with a bass response north of neutral and a smoother treble response if using the NOS filter. I wouldn't recommend pairing this with already warm IEMs. You can make the treble a little more elevated or lively by changing the filter from NOS to fast but it sounds a tad digital to me and V shaped. At the price point and convenience though I find this little device outstanding. I tend to use this for quick sessions over bluetooth and I find the use case to be excellent.

:beerchug:

May 24, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #89,937 of 91,357
Would be cool to see more IEM’s look like they are made from wood, like AP, or Promission X.

I think Noble uses the technique to make those, yet not with real wood (or maybe I just dont know them). Pick a razin block and cnc the shels out if it. Instead of rasin uv models

Wood + cast metal is such a good combo for a lot of things. Now lets see it in IEM’s 😄

There are quite a few brands now that make full-wood (or wood-resin) universals, but only few that can do so in custom. I'm fairly sure Noble were the first to ever do it, but we now also have JH, UM, QDC and Ambient Acoustics off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few I'm missing. The reason this isn't common or cheap when it comes to customs is because of the process you mentioned: CNC. AFAIK, third-party services rarely accept CNC jobs this small in both quantity (since customs are made-to-order) and in literal physical size. So, you kinda have to have your own machines, like Noble and JH do, to get a smooth operation running.

That said, a local brand here in Indonesia, Avara Custom, have figured out how to do wood, wood-resin and forged carbon shells without a CNC:

1716585836716.jpeg
1716585840291.jpeg
1716585859523.jpeg
1716585869273.jpeg

I don't exactly know how they do it, and I'd say CNC'ed wood does look a smidge better IMO. But, if you wanna get 85-90% there at a fraction of the cost, brands should reach out to them and find out how.

EDIT: Oh, and the wood all these brands use are indeed real wood. They're just stabilized and dyed in different colors, or mixed half-and-half with resin, which is why they look stylized

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #89,938 of 91,357
There are quite a few brands now that make full-wood (or wood-resin) universals, but only few that can do so in custom. I'm fairly sure Noble were the first to ever do it, but we now also have JH, UM, QDC and Ambient Acoustics off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few I'm missing. The reason this isn't common or cheap when it comes to customs is because of the process you mentioned: CNC. AFAIK, third-party services rarely accept CNC jobs this small in both quantity (since customs are made-to-order) and in literal physical size. So, you kinda have to have your own machines, like Noble and JH do, to get a smooth operation running.

That said, a local brand here in Indonesia, Avara Custom, have figured out how to do wood, wood-resin and forged carbon shells without a CNC:

1716585836716.jpeg1716585840291.jpeg1716585859523.jpeg1716585869273.jpeg

I don't exactly know how they do it, and I'd say CNC'ed wood does look a smidge better IMO. But, if you wanna get 85-90% there at a fraction of the cost, brands should reach out to them and find out how.

EDIT: Oh, and the wood all these brands use are indeed real wood. They're just stabilized and dyed in different colors, or mixed half-and-half with resin, which is why they look stylized
Thank you for sending these suggestions, will take a look at there catalog.

I guess im just jealous of all those amazing looking ZMF headphones (the razin mixed once also look really nice). A zmf style design for IEM’s would be cool. With a “custom” metalwork design for the 2 pin connector.

Something about wood that appeals to me

May 24, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #89,939 of 91,357
May 24, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #89,940 of 91,357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back