The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #88,366 of 90,028
Just picked up the EA Eros Anniversary for my Rn6. It's like they designed this cable specifically for these IEMs...

_DSC8346.jpg
Really beautiful pairing, congrats!

May 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #88,367 of 90,028
I’ve tried the R8 once in the shops but really wanted to take one home to put it through my tests. I must say first impressions are very good. Do you have other DAPs to compare this to? What do you like about it?

I’ll share further thoughts tomorrow as I’ve had a few beers tonight 🍺😂

However…
  1. It is relatively neutral, yet the tonality is musical and incredibly engaging
  2. The power rating of around 710mW balanced isn’t the most powerful, yet it packs an incredibly keen punch with anything I’ve plugged in with absolute ease
  3. Fast UI
  4. Beautiful build with excellent ergonomics in spite of the size
  5. Stunning large screen with excellent resolution
While the likes of RS8 is highly intoxicating with R2R, I think overall I personally lean towards the more pristine laser-sharp yet musical tuning of the R8 II… in an ideal world I’d own both for two flavours but alas not possible for now. Honeymoon phase of course but loving it more with each session.

May 4, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #88,368 of 90,028
Just picked up the EA Eros Anniversary for my Rn6. It's like they designed this cable specifically for these IEMs...

_DSC8346.jpg
How do you like them sound wise? I remember both the EA Eros OG and Rn6 being sweet at the treble; do you like the way they pair?

May 4, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #88,370 of 90,028
How do you like them sound wise? I remember both the EA Eros OG and Rn6 being sweet at the treble; do you like the way they pair?

I've gotta confess that I do cables more for aesthetics and ergonomics, but I'd say they pair well together sonically. Perhaps it's placebo but they sound great together.

May 4, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #88,371 of 90,028
My idea of an optimal cable synergy pairing with supreme v3 : Beat Audio Oslo MKIV; colour combo makes me 👅. Prefer it over Ulan (made the soundstage seem further away) and Rhapsodio’s Fantasy Copper (a little warmer when I prefer more nano details).

I have yet to hear the Supreme V3 or any Beat Audio stuff, and now I kinda want to. 😢

May the Fourth be with you!

😄 Rekindling my memories of being into SW pretty hardcore years ago!

Now you've done it :p. I've just dusted off the Tralucent 1Plus2 but the original silver+gold has been reterminated for my FitEars so the only decent cable I have for 2-pin is the Brise UPG001Ref1 8-wire.

I should have brought the 1+2 along to compare with the 2024 TotLs. Really the 1+2 blew my mind back in the day.

😃 It blew all of our minds years ago! That incredibly expansive staging... the HD 800 of IEMs!

Wait, I thought your Brise UPG001 was a headphone (Focal) cable?

Blast from the past! Yeah... Tralucent did have great IEMs and cables! :)

I remember listening to this off the Bryston BHA-1 and the Cavalli Liquid Gold. And boy did it scale up!

I remember people giving Gavin so much crap about his cables! :smile: This was over a decade ago, so skeptics with pitchforks were everywhere... especially at that price. But hey, for those of us who had it, the proof was in the sound.

And of course, of course, of course you drove it with full-on desktop amps! I would expect no less! :laughing:

Oh wow... another nostalgic trip down memory lane :)

I had the Tralucent 1+2 myself back in 2015/2016 and for me it ended up (for budget reasons only) as part of a trade deal with an original Lotoo Paw Gold

Thanks for the sweet memories :smile:

🥰 A sweet reverie for us old fart HFers!

I remember that I mainly used it with a Rhapsodio 2.98 SG (98% silver & 2% gold) cable back then...

That must have been soooo good back in the day! And maybe still is?

I forgot I have a pair of these lying around.:eyes: Will definitely give them a listen today. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Ooh, this is gonna be good! Defend our honor! I'm too lazy to pull it out of storage. :p

I am absolutely baffled that the Prestige Ltd was not even in the top IEM's of 2023 on here.
I guess most of us did not have a chance to demo it.

Yup! We can't like (or dislike) what we haven't heard. :thumbsup:

For me, I would name this upgraded cable Superego. :)

Or maybe loyal sidekick if they want to stay with a superhero theme (as opposed to something Freudian)? :smile:

Thieaudio sceptics

What's a Thieaudio skeptic?

May 4, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #88,372 of 90,028
Excellent photo, it really looks like it!!!! Being 8 wires isn't it heavy and thick?

It's actually not heavy at all. The individual wires are pretty fine gauge and very supple. In fact, I'd say the cable is lighter/more flexible than the original cable. It is a little thick, but I don't mind it, and I appreciate the extra length.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the execution of the ear hooks and heat shrink around them. That component is very rigid.

May 4, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #88,373 of 90,028
It's been an uneventful and boring Saturday so I figured I would spend some time typing this up although I didn't plan to. It was an exciting day for me yesterday... Thanks to a very generous head-fi'er I was able to demo the ZMF Caldera (through Mjolnir) and use it sort of as a test to see how well I would enjoy headphones. Long story short, they just won't work for me. The lack of any isolation on an open back means I have to turn them up way too loud to block out exterior noise and I'm not comfortable with that, and for whatever reason I just don't have interest in closed backs. I can't say I didn't try though!
I don't understand the resistance to closed backs? You're used to iems, and having total isolation, so closed backs would seem to be the obvious choice.
Just a mental block I suppose?

I think I can understand why lol. It's probably because he feels that closed back headphones are in some way lesser than open backed headphones, and so he'd be knowingly sacrificing something right from the get go. That doesn't happen so much with IEMs, as you can be at the very pinnacle of the IEM world and still be "closed back" - Alter Ego and Soranik excepted.

May 4, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #88,374 of 90,028
I think I can understand why lol. It's probably because he feels that closed back headphones are in some way lesser than open backed headphones, and so he'd be knowingly sacrificing something right from the get go. That doesn't happen so much with IEMs, as you can be at the very pinnacle of the IEM world and still be "closed back" - Alter Ego and Soranik excepted.

That too... I feel like no one gets excited over closed backs?! Picture me putting boring products on my head... 🤪🤭 /s

May 4, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #88,375 of 90,028
That too... I feel like no one gets excited over closed backs?! Picture me putting boring products on my head... 🤪🤭 /s

:smile: I know that @goldwerger would totally say that an Atrium Closed is amazing. But I also know that gun to his head, he'd keep his Atrium Open over his Atrium Closed.

May 4, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #88,376 of 90,028
For IEM users, Bokeh is much better ZMF headphone than caldera or Atrium for fun sound with AIO units

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #88,377 of 90,028
And the Boken Open is coming out this Summer! :p

May 4, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #88,378 of 90,028
😃 It blew all of our minds years ago! That incredibly expansive staging... the HD 800 of IEMs!

Wait, I thought your Brise UPG001 was a headphone (Focal) cable?

I remember people giving Gavin so much crap about his cables! :smile: This was over a decade ago, so skeptics with pitchforks were everywhere... especially at that price. But hey, for those of us who had it, the proof was in the sound.

You have a better memory than me! I re-terminated one of my Brise cables since I sold the Utopia.

May 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #88,379 of 90,028

And of course, of course, of course you drove it with full-on desktop amps! I would expect no less! :laughing:

🥰 A sweet reverie for us old fart HFers!

That must have been soooo good back in the day! And maybe still is?
Indeed! But of course, those of us who had his Uber and Uber Too cables were the ones who had the last laugh. :wink:

Haha! Gavin's fault. One evening over another dinner in Singapore, he told me he tuned his IEMs on his desktop amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back