The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #85,667 of 89,856
Day 1 for me at the CJ SG 2024 was really eventful. Got to meet so many good audio lovers from all around the South-East Asia. I feel lucky enough to be here to experience all this goodness and absorb everything haha. Some glimpses.

Great photos. Please do share your thoughts on Artha Argentium! Do you find differences between this and the standard version? If you have info on the difference tip rolling makes, I'm very interested to know!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #85,668 of 89,856
Bought 2 pairs from Tokpa in A'dam but the largest size is just too small for me and the seal only lasts for seconds. Too bad.

drftr

I believe larger size Baroques are in the making and should be released around May (?), according to Eric Chong.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #85,670 of 89,856
That's fine. I'm using the word believe out of semantic politeness because I'm not trying to ignite a cable debate.

Yes, that has happened before as well.

I would imagine that is a pretty common occurrence as well, particularly for lower priced sets.
I can also see this happening for lower priced mass market sets. Without a doubt.

But we are talking about boutique brands which are charging 1k-5k for IEMs. Fir only made 500n Rn6 total.

I'm not going to count the most expensive UM products as those are just bragging rights bling showoff stuff. But 1-5k is a fine range

But if these boutique brands at these price points are shipping these pricey iem with a cable that doesn't portray the 'correct' sound, which is the original claim I quoted, then everyone should be really really pissed off, because that would be insulting.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #85,671 of 89,856
But if these boutique brands at these price points are shipping these pricey iem with a cable that doesn't portray the 'correct' sound, which is the original claim I quoted, then everyone should be really really pissed off, because that would be insulting.
I'd feel safe wagering that folks spending $1k+ on a set of IEMs are also likely rolling lots of cables and tips.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #85,672 of 89,856
You know what really gets me is expensive iems coming with recessed 2pins when they are flush connection on the iem. I mean you put many $ into R&D and fancy boxing with attractive faceplate then go just bung a recessed 2pin cable in.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #85,673 of 89,856
But if these boutique brands at these price points are shipping these pricey iem with a cable that doesn't portray the 'correct' sound, which is the original claim I quoted, then everyone should be really really pissed off, because that would be insulting
The “original claim” from me did indeed talk about sound. But I also said “sometimes the perfect cable isn’t the one it comes with” or something to that effect, and I meant far more than just sound. Ergonomics, comfort, aesthetics, the list goes on. Others have mentioned the Aroma cable, I have seen people say the Singularity stock cable is too flimsy, that popular Timsok had a very bulky cable, sometimes they come with microphonic fabric cables, the list is endless. Zoom out a little bit.

It’s not just sound. People like choice. My point was trying to illustrate just that.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #85,674 of 89,856
I can also see this happening for lower priced mass market sets. Without a doubt.

But we are talking about boutique brands which are charging 1k-5k for IEMs. Fir only made 500n Rn6 total.

I'm not going to count the most expensive UM products as those are just bragging rights bling showoff stuff. But 1-5k is a fine range

To be honest, I suspect the majority probably wouldn’t know. Unless (or until) you’ve heard better and are sensitive to those nuances. Ignorance is bliss.

There are manufacturers who carefully pair and tune their IEMs with certain cable configurations (Storm being recent example) and others … who do not.

Eg. CFA cables - if they can include multiple cables in the box just to cater for terminations, that would be considered in the RRP. I don’t see many Trifecta photos on here with the stock cable.

Is it just me or Pixel has a tendency to be rather presumptuous and judgemental in his/her posts. The “correct” sound is a difficult term to define. Manufacturers make conscious decisions that relate to how something sounds on release. The fact is there are so many variations and listening preferences.

UM release some sonically amazing IEMs, some better value than others. With “expensive” cable pairings at the top end. There’s no need to be rude. It comes across as opinionated but uneducated

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #85,675 of 89,856
My dude clearly has never worked in an environment where the CEO comes to the office in a manic state at 4 PM on a Friday and pulls this
IMG_7201.jpeg

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #85,676 of 89,856
I know a lot of of our more prolific posters are off enjoying CJSG so things are quiet. 4chan's equivalent of "mods are sleep, post <X>"

But,

I'm not a fan of seeing "Show ignored content" by any means on a thread I frequent. But sometimes it just has to be done.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #85,677 of 89,856
Is it just me or Pixel has a tendency to be rather presumptuous and judgemental in his/her posts.

I have a device in the shop right now that knows the answer to that question.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #85,678 of 89,856
I know a lot of of our more prolific posters are off enjoying CJSG so things are quiet. 4chan's equivalent of "mods are sleep, post <X>"

But,

I'm not a fan of seeing "Show ignored content" by any means on a thread I frequent. But sometimes it just has to be done.
Speaking of CJ impressions, they’re across watercooler and discovery. I’m sure one of the admins can amalgamate some of the posts.

The actual impressions thread has been rather quiet.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...s-thread-april-6-7-2024.972338/#post-18056713

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #85,679 of 89,856
Changed it up a little today with Monachaa, in many ways polar opposite of Trifecta, and certainly ways in which they're similar at least when talking drivers. The DDs are so far, my favorite drivers in iems.

1000019301.jpg

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #85,680 of 89,856
To be honest, I suspect the majority probably wouldn’t know. Unless (or until) you’ve heard better and are sensitive to those nuances. Ignorance is bliss.

There are manufacturers who carefully pair and tune their IEMs with certain cable configurations (Storm being recent example) and others … who do not.

Eg. CFA cables - if they can include multiple cables in the box just to cater for terminations, that would be considered in the RRP. I don’t see many Trifecta photos on here with the stock cable.

Is it just me or Pixel has a tendency to be rather presumptuous and judgemental in his/her posts. The “correct” sound is a difficult term to define. Manufacturers make conscious decisions that relate to how something sounds on release. The fact is there are so many variations and listening preferences.

UM release some sonically amazing IEMs, some better value than others. With “expensive” cable pairings at the top end. There’s no need to be rude. It comes across as opinionated but uneducated
I didn't use the phrase correct sound originally. I quoted someone who said these IEMs are mostly released with cables that didn't give the correct sound, so it's up to us consumers to cable swap and find the cable to enjoy the correct sound.

Their words, not mine.

You made an assumption and come across as presumptuous. How ironic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back