The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #85,681 of 91,344
Changed it up a little today with Monachaa, in many ways polar opposite of Trifecta, and certainly ways in which they're similar at least when talking drivers. The DDs are so far, my favorite drivers in iems.

1000019301.jpg
Your remark regarding DD reminds me the recent post of @maegnificant when he visited Sennheiser: When asked why always use DD in their headphones and IEMs, one of the guys in Sennheiser answered that after many years of testing different drivers, they found DD is still the best to reproduce sounds.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #85,682 of 91,344
Not taking sound into account, does anyone have a go to tip recommendation for a "heavier" cable. The heavier cables tend to pull more with gravity. I am so far OK with Xelastec II and Coreir but I do find the need to adjust a bit when I am walking about. Am I missing one that helps the monitors stay in place firmly? Foam with Symbio is also an option. Curious and thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #85,683 of 91,344
Changed it up a little today with Monachaa, in many ways polar opposite of Trifecta, and certainly ways in which they're similar at least when talking drivers. The DDs are so far, my favorite drivers in iems.

1000019301.jpg
Hey how does the Monachaa do at EDM? I'm trying to find out if that DD bass can keep up with quick slam and decay that some electronic songs demand (and BA bass can pull off well).

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #85,684 of 91,344
The “original claim” from me did indeed talk about sound. But I also said “sometimes the perfect cable isn’t the one it comes with” or something to that effect, and I meant far more than just sound. Ergonomics, comfort, aesthetics, the list goes on. Others have mentioned the Aroma cable, I have seen people say the Singularity stock cable is too flimsy, that popular Timsok had a very bulky cable, sometimes they come with microphonic fabric cables, the list is endless. Zoom out a little bit.

It’s not just sound. People like choice. My point was trying to illustrate just that.
I'm with you on choice, and if that is what you said, I never would have commented.

It was the comment you made that the consumer wasn't cable swapping to get a better sound, but to get the actual correct sound, out of the IEMs. Which is also saying that these brands, including the boutique ones, don't even ship their own product with the correct sound cable. Ergonomics and aesthetics are completely different things and I do agree with that.

Perhaps you feel you used the wrong words now. All good.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #85,685 of 91,344
Canjam Day 1 Photos and Quick Impressions.

A high-protein breakfast sans the potato and the bread thingie you see at the front. The latter is an Indian snack called a Vada Pav and it tastes better at Pan Pacific 🇸🇬 than in Mumbai, I have to say.

My day started with a re-listen of the Subtonic Storm with the rather smooth sounding Sovereign Symphony cable. This IEM is as impressive as always but I still find it dry and clinical.

The duality was better but to be honest, I didn’t quite get the fuss about its bass. My supermoon hits harder and better. But enter the impedance adapter, and hello, the bass got bigger and better, and overall, the imaging seemed to benefit (could be placebo), and I’d definitely buy it if the bass-boosted profile was its stock sound. In a world of Xenon 6 and Trifecta, audiophile bass has reached a different level, IMHO.

In the same vein, the Symphonium Titan didn’t strike me as particularly hard hitting, and yes I understand it’s probably a Trifecta-effect and I also found it warm and lacking in treble clarity. Its sort of the opposite sound profile to the Helios which I absolutely loved for its brazen yet beautiful treble. The Titan plays way too safe. YMMV.

I came across a new cable brand called Verus audio and I liked the sound of their cables a lot paired with my Jewel. 💎

Next I spent quite a bit of time at the Zeppelin booth. They had everything but jam packed into a tiny room which made movement difficult. You see me testing the iBasso PB5 and the D16 in this pic. Both devices are friggin’ awesome.

The PB5 blew me away daisy-chained 🌼 with my Sony WM1ZM2. This is what I hoped the Cayin N30 would sound like: big, bold, lush, and timbrally flawless.

I love green. This is the Rolex green.

Along with the PB5, the Raal 1995 Immanis are the most impressive pieces of kit I came across today, among those I listened to for the first time. Fair warning: I am a reviewer and I had listened to a lot of the good stuff already, prior to the show.

Meanwhile the Cayin N30 wasn’t my jam. While it improves significantly on the N8ii in terms of bass and thickness of notes, the treble still has the brittleness and dryness of its predecessors. Maybe it’s a house sound thing and I am sure there are those who love it.

At the Zeppelin table, there was also gilted Raven. And I adored it. Not sure what @Jack Vang did with this one, but it sounded so damn good. Has it been retuned? Its bass is as beautiful and ballsy as bass should be but the best part is that midrange and treble timbre are also spot-on. Chef’s kiss.

The guy’s also aging in reverse, Mr Wang. Must be a country called gym which I keep meaning to visit. Its even visa-free entry for everyone.

Moving on, I also tried the Dunu Glacier, which, to me, was underwhelming at best. Is it priced at $1800? Maybe I misheard the Sam Audio rep but I wouldn’t buy it for half the price given the technicalities in the offing. Tonally, it’s absolutely fine, but again, I didn’t quite get the fuss about its bass. It looks sexy though.

On the other hand, this new IEM called Alter Ego from a hitherto unknown brand, Melodic Artification, really impressed. It had some of the most beautiful treble known to man, and some decent bass, with the bass switch turned on. I would love a re-listen.

I spent a bit of time with the Mass Kobo 465, the amp every summit-fier worth her salt is now talking about. It does have great synergy with the also-Japanese Final D8000 Pro but oh man with the Susvara, its so damn perfect. The bass!! No speaker amp I have tried has delivered me this level of realism with bass on the Sus.

It was nice to also finally meet the flipears creator Aries, and what a gentleman he is. I also met his wife and they are a truly lovely couple and I would like to see them do well, not just because of how kind they are, but also because how amazing every FlipEars product I have tried, has turned out to be.

The gold-plated Aurora is such an incredible beauty.

Also beautiful were the new Unique Melody Mason Soleil (red) and Nuit (blue).

I don’t want to get into too much detail with my impressions on these $9000 IEMs because owners are likely to feel possessive about such expensive products, but I wouldn’t buy either at a third of the price, not with the likes of VEX around.

The gentleman above goes by @gadgetgod. He’s a sweetheart and he is pictured here brandishing some fine leather cases made by his friend @Visveswaran Umashankar (Vishy). If you are going to be around tomorrow, check out Vishy’s leather cases at Jaben’s booth and show him some love.

Showing love, to me, in this case, are also my friends from Fatfreq. I love hanging out with these cool kids. They love their bass and they love to chat and I always have a good time at their booth. Arguably Singapore’s finest, along with my other fave, Dita Audio, whom I’ll visit tomorrow.

The day finished with a dinner of bbq ribs near the beautiful Singapore harbor front.

No chilli crabs 🦀 yet, but tomorrow for sure. 🤞🏻
Awesome and informative impressions. The best I’ve read! Thanks!! (Don’t forget to cross post the canjam impressions thread also)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #85,686 of 91,344
Not taking sound into account, does anyone have a go to tip recommendation for a "heavier" cable. The heavier cables tend to pull more with gravity. I am so far OK with Xelastec II and Coreir but I do find the need to adjust a bit when I am walking about. Am I missing one that helps the monitors stay in place firmly? Foam with Symbio is also an option. Curious and thanks for your thoughts in advance.
For foam, I love the Hifogo Render tips, so comfortable yet holds an Xe6 on an EA Code 23 (talk about weight). For silicone tips, the Penon Liqueur tips will do the same.
Hey how does the Monachaa do at EDM? I'm trying to find out if that DD bass can keep up with quick slam and decay that some electronic songs demand (and BA bass can pull off well).
Monachaa is so speedy it can keep up with everything. The only dead giveaway that they're DDs is the coherence, otherwise you'd believe they were well tuned BAs or ESTs mixed in.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #85,687 of 91,344
This just arrived today, and it''s.... insanely good. Nightjar Sovereign Symphony is 🔥🔥🐐! @Chang you mad genius, this might be the best cable I've ever heard. Better than Orpheus? Need more time, but leaning that way. 😮 Seriously.

Full review coming soon, so stay tuned. Traillii Ti + NJ SS + LP6 Ti AE is absolutely incredible ❤️

TKP - TE 4SALE HF - 9.jpg
IMG_2976.JPGIMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG
Wait till you try the 8W version! When paired with either the Viking or the Ragnar, it will make one a cable believer!

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #85,688 of 91,344
This is what it is!

1712381402605.png

1712381417246.png
A lossless (or hi-res) wireless transmitter for streaming or something?
This is interesting as it allows lossless wireless from a phone/DAP! Still in beta so some bugs to work out. @HiFiHawaii808 tried it and said it sounds great!

First look at the Pilgrim Noir from Effect Audio's Instagram.
1000019007.jpg
1000019008.jpg
Did you try the Pilgrim Noir?
The Pilgrim Noir is fantastic! To me it adds an amazing amount of low end to an already excellent sounding Pilgrim without missing a beat from the typical Annihilator treble!

Has anyone CJ impressions of the Duality? 🙂
Such a lovely iem! If you have heard earlier protos, imagine that with everything tightened up! Love how there is so much clarity also!

Got to meet some good members from our WaterColler Thread today at the CanJam Day 1.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-06 at 10.51.15 PM.jpeg
I have listened to a lot of products so far but Ice Lab Primastica and Eminent Ears Ruby have so far been my favourite <3 See you guys again tomorrow.
It was good meeting you Pulkit! What came across was your effusive enthusiasm for the hobby! Loved it!

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #85,689 of 91,344
What's the Meze Audio Alba?
Just a 2-pin, white color version of the Advar, or a re-tune as well?
1712450644859.png

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #85,690 of 91,344
It was good meeting you Pulkit! What came across was your effusive enthusiasm for the hobby! Loved it
Thank you bro!!

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #85,691 of 91,344
Has anyone CJ impressions of the Duality? 🙂
Yups I heard it yesterday and such a beautiful sounding IEM man. Loved the bass even in the stock form. And Chang from Nightjar says other impedance adapters will take the bass to another level, sadly i was not carrying my Amp yesterday maybe today I will try the Duality with different adapters.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #85,694 of 91,344
@emdeevee am I asking too much for you to not do a review of Monachaa?

Temptation is real 🙃

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #85,695 of 91,344

Finally going to see this guy tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it. Pretty ridiculous video.

The video (not the song) is giving me Misteur Valaire vibes for some reason. :smile:

Simply put, many engineers working in IEM companies are not audiophiles. From their training, they don't believe cable matters, and they probably don't bother to test them.

👆

My dude clearly has never worked in an environment where the CEO comes to the office in a manic state at 4 PM on a Friday and pulls this
IMG_7201.jpeg

So I haven't tested it out yet, but Code 24C just came in yesterday.

Speaking of CJ impressions, they’re across watercooler and discovery. I’m sure one of the admins can amalgamate some of the posts.

Only if people want their posts moved. Otherwise we'd respect their intentions to post where they want and leave them as is.

Not taking sound into account, does anyone have a go to tip recommendation for a "heavier" cable.

I actually ran into a post the other day where somebody was looking for a lighter cable than Liquid Links (the Westlake was specifically referenced iirc). So maybe that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back