The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #84,961 of 89,888
I finally got myself a set of these KS-1136 balanced XLR cables. They're about $4100 per meter so insane. Almost doesn't make sense in my system because they are more expensive than the components they are connecting. But wow, it's like upgrading from iPhone dongle to an HugoTT2. The transparency, detail, and tactility is like walking into a demo room of Guitar Center and playing the instruments yourself. It is a bit bright, but it can make closedback headphones sound like openback.

And if you are insane and buy a set, they personalize the experience and provide a Pelican case for the connector.

Those don't a candle to the SDCG-F16 cables, which are $8100 a meter. Super-balanced. So balanced they are almost unbalanced, almost defying sonic physics. You'll get there eventually. Mind blown now? Better wear a helmet when you try the super duper crazy good F-16 cables, otherwise your mind WILL be blown, right out of your skull.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #84,963 of 89,888
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #84,964 of 89,888
Our review of the FIR Audio 12 is now posted with comparisons to the Twilight, RE2000, and Dmagic 3D.

Awesome bass on this single DD :)

https://headfonics.com/fir-audio-e12-review/

1711789878546.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #84,966 of 89,888
Apples and oranges.

What do you like more? Naturalness with ba-bass (even if a good one) (CP622B) or fun with a fat (great) dd-bass (GM)?
Hello, I think I like a little of both aspects, it's difficult to choose, but I don't have the opportunity to listen to either one unfortunately.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #84,967 of 89,888
I finally got myself a set of these KS-1136 balanced XLR cables. They're about $4100 per meter so insane. Almost doesn't make sense in my system because they are more expensive than the components they are connecting. But wow, it's like upgrading from iPhone dongle to an HugoTT2. The transparency, detail, and tactility is like walking into a demo room of Guitar Center and playing the instruments yourself. It is a bit bright, but it can make closedback headphones sound like openback.

And if you are insane and buy a set, they personalize the experience and provide a Pelican case for the connector.

Congratulations! 🥳 Sounds like it was worth the wait then?

Those don't a candle to the SDCG-F16 cables, which are $8100 a meter. Super-balanced. So balanced they are almost unbalanced, almost defying sonic physics. You'll get there eventually. Mind blown now? Better wear a helmet when you try the super duper crazy good F-16 cables, otherwise your mind WILL be blown, right out of your skull.

Any specific reason why you can't just let him be happy about his new gear?

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #84,968 of 89,888
[cross post from the Austria Audio Composer thread]

After hearing all the excitement over the Austria Audio Composer, imagine my delight when @Uncle Wilson messaged me earlier to tell me stock of the Composer has finally arrived at Jaben Singapore. Kudos to @Uncle Wilson for getting a demo unit even while I am confined for the next couple of weeks or so, :)

It did cheer me up no end! Now for some fun listening! :)

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #84,970 of 89,888
In other news a beautiful spring morning…

IMG_0963.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #84,971 of 89,888
Speaking of burn-in, the Oriolus Monachaa takes a crap ton of time to really get to its resting place...200 hours for sure, but there are 4 DDs playing!
I can second this. And it goes through a lot of changes during that time. Knowing this might be the case, I listened throughout. One of those times I could unequivocally say there is such a thing as actual physical burn-in of a driver. You can hear how the diaphrams loosen, become more elastic, find a greater range, become fuller and more organic without losing any detail. Really interesting. And it resulted in a breathtakingly balanced and nuanced set with all the great DD timbre and decay. Not to mention one of the most epic sound-stages I have ever heard.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #84,972 of 89,888
IMPRESSIONS ROTTERDAM

Today I started hunting down great head-fi gear dealers in the Netherlands after being spoiled in (South) Eastern Asia in the past few years. First stop was Sound Kitchen in Rotterdam who, as luck would have it, just started selling Noble IEMs - so fresh it's not even on their website. More about that later as I started with an in-depth demo of Volür. If I recall correctly Sound Kitchen was the first shop introducing the concept of combining top notch head-fi gear with specialty coffees about 7 years ago.

1000346817.jpg

64 AUDIO VOLÜR
Second listen after @MatW introduced them to me last weekend at our Watercooler Europe Meetup. My impressions over just 3 half songs mimic my 1.5 hr in-depth demo exactly, except that I now listened using mX and m12 modules. As always I would have loved a module right in between these and for that reason it doesn't exist... :wink: Where I find mX makes it sound like U18t with bass but without the resolution, treble quality, and imaging, m12 makes it sound slightly too thick in the bass plus that it seems to suck the last bit of airiness out of it and makes the mids a bit veiled and 2 dimensional. I'm debating trying to lay my hands on Chiron to see if I can open up the stage, make it a bit tighter in the low end, a bit more dynamic, and improve treble quality. I'm slightly worried the resolution and tonal beauty is simply not there, so I'm mentally preparing myself for a longer wait than hoped for.

NOBLE AUDIO ONYX
Really missed this one at our meetup being a recent Noble fanboy, and for good reasons: Onyx has exactly the right quality, tonality, and timbre for my bass and mids, great imaging, dynamics, PRaT, anything really, but it is BRIGHT!!! Even after Sultan I can't handle this and that's really an extreme pity. If only this was Ronin with DD bass timbre or simply Onyx with Ronin treble it would have been an instant buy. But using PAW6000 and August Fun (1960s 2-wire) I'm already on the very polite side of the spectrum so I won't be able to turn down the treble without cutting off my ears. What a pity... :frowning2:

1000346820.jpg

Anyway, it was nice to find some serious gear like Acoustune and Earsonics (some of which they have heavily cut prices for so let me know if that's up your sleeve). I also spotted M30 and Mjölnir, but that's for another time.

Next round, Delft or Amsterdam.

1000346824.jpg

1000346823.jpg

1000346822.jpg

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #84,974 of 89,888
IMPRESSIONS ROTTERDAM

Today I started hunting down great head-fi gear dealers in the Netherlands after being spoiled in (South) Eastern Asia in the past few years. First stop was Sound Kitchen in Rotterdam who, as luck would have it, just started selling Noble IEMs - so fresh it's not even on their website. More about that later as I started with an in-depth demo of Volür. If I recall correctly Sound Kitchen was the first shop introducing the concept of combining top notch head-fi gear with specialty coffees about 7 years ago.

1000346817.jpg

64 AUDIO VOLÜR
Second listen after @MatW introduced them to me last weekend at our Watercooler Europe Meetup. My impressions over just 3 half songs mimic my 1.5 hr in-depth demo exactly, except that I now listened using mX and m12 modules. As always I would have loved a module right in between these and for that reason it doesn't exist... :wink: Where I find mX makes it sound like U18t with bass but without the resolution, treble quality, and imaging, m12 makes it sound slightly too thick in the bass plus that it seems to suck the last bit of airiness out of it and makes the mids a bit veiled and 2 dimensional. I'm debating trying to lay my hands on Chiron to see if I can open up the stage, make it a bit tighter in the low end, a bit more dynamic, and improve treble quality. I'm slightly worried the resolution and tonal beauty is simply not there, so I'm mentally preparing myself for a longer wait than hoped for.

NOBLE AUDIO ONYX
Really missed this one at our meetup being a recent Noble fanboy, and for good reasons: Onyx has exactly the right quality, tonality, and timbre for my bass and mids, great imaging, dynamics, PRaT, anything really, but it is BRIGHT!!! Even after Sultan I can't handle this and that's really an extreme pity. If only this was Ronin with DD bass timbre or simply Onyx with Ronin treble it would have been an instant buy. But using PAW6000 and August Fun (1960s 2-wire) I'm already on the very polite side of the spectrum so I won't be able to turn down the treble without cutting off my ears. What a pity... :frowning2:

1000346820.jpg

Anyway, it was nice to find some serious gear like Acoustune and Earsonics (some of which they have heavily cut prices for so let me know if that's up your sleeve). I also spotted M30 and Mjölnir, but that's for another time.

Next round, Delft or Amsterdam.

1000346824.jpg
1000346823.jpg
1000346822.jpg

drftr
Thank you for the nice impressions.

ONYX sounds like it could have a good synergy with Orpheus shielding cable.

Regarding the Volur, are you going for a little more bass compared to U18t? I recall that you have/had U18t/A18t. If so, please see if you can get your hands on Lavricables Grand silver cable. It brings a nice boost to A18t with m15 module and the resolution is top notch and treble has the full extension without brightness/fatigue. I hear a slightly more coloration in the lows than I would prefer (minor annoyance) but the rest of the spectrum is clear and awesome. Very nice cable to fine tune the sound of U18t.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #84,975 of 89,888
Congratulations! 🥳 Sounds like it was worth the wait then?

Any specific reason why you can't just let him be happy about his new gear?
It took a few years and it's not a cable I found where I could borrow it. I'm happy with it 💪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back