The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #84,931 of 89,864
I certainly did not find the bass lacking when I tried yours last weekend, quite the opposite in that it was incredibly satisfying in quality and quantity.
This exactly was my impression too.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #84,932 of 89,864
Sounds like you’re an L&P guy.
I thought so too, but what about no gapless play mode and not being able to set the volume before you hit Play?

Most people base their Shanling experience on Android players and in this field we delegate most of the work to the titans that are UAPP, Hibi Player, Neutron, etc
Between all hardwares and protocols requirements and specifics implementation it require a lot of product mgnt, qa and talents.

Now imagine a brand that goes implementing the player, plus the hardware firmware while not respecting protocols like upnp and giving on new hardware to put
the very small team on interns they have to the luxury brand that is Onix instead of basic maintenance... we have product bugs ridden, inverting L and R channel
or displaying the wrong album picture while playing a song and no firmwares update for half a year.

This is barely acceptable, just giving up product when they reach the market and headfi customers serve as beta testers.
Have a read at headfi forum about EM5, EM7, EH3, amazon, headfonia, app store, android store, etc and the state of shanling software.

It's a very hard job but at least others brands acknowledge the non working features or scale down, shanling is gaslighting customers.

Since this a not a desktop player it need much less features and maybe eddict gonna covers the basics but don't do the beta testers and wait
for the review or test it before putting money on the table. No everyone can challenge Lotoo OS when leaving the android world.
Tnx for the valuable insight. I read the last 5 or so pages of the thread and saw @Kiats being mentioned as an owner or former owner. Curious if it's the latter and why.

Looking forward to burning some cash on a TOTL single DD but I'm in no hurry ... good things come to those who can wait etc ...
You're not wrong, but remember what Rick Davies sang:

"Rudy thought that all good things comes to those that wait
But recently he could see that it may come, too late
Too late, too late…"

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #84,933 of 89,864
The trick with Anni 23 is the burn in, give them 50h-100h (like you usually would do with any dynamic driver headphone) and you will get more control and texture in the bass.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #84,934 of 89,864
The trick with Anni 23 is the burn in, give them 50h-100h (like you usually would do with any dynamic driver headphone) and you will get more control and texture in the bass.
Speaking of burn-in, the Oriolus Monachaa takes a crap ton of time to really get to its resting place...200 hours for sure, but there are 4 DDs playing!

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #84,935 of 89,864
Speaking of burn-in, the Oriolus Monachaa takes a crap ton of time to really get to its resting place...200 hours for sure, but there are 4 DDs playing!
Might be a similar situation with trifecta

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #84,937 of 89,864
Penon Quattro too and that damn thing requires more & more power. Insatiable (like us audiophiles :beyersmile:)

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #84,939 of 89,864
Man those Monachaa sound so intriguing. I wish I tried them at CanJam. I'll have to go to MusicTeck though, they sound like they actually have bass, and a great everything else.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #84,940 of 89,864
The burn - in brothers from another mother!
1000017596.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #84,942 of 89,864
I thought so too, but what about no gapless play mode and not being able to set the volume before you hit Play?
How about L&P E7?😉 *angry wallet sounds*

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #84,943 of 89,864
That's so true, however, in our hobby it is common that the grass is always greener on the other side, we are always more interested in IEMs that we do not own or heard.

Like I mentioned before, the seal of Anni 23 is very crucial. Sometimes when I was listening with Anni 23 to some hip hop music with heavy sub-bass in bed, I felt the earthquake and I had to get up and check the news to make sure it was not an earthquake. Okay, I am joking, but you get my point.
The seal was not a problem for me. As I said, with my studio desktop gear, everything tilted dark and bass heavy, but every other source I had at the time did not drive the low end adequately for my taste. I exchanged messages with Lee about this, and I shared the stack of gear I was using to drive it, and we agreed that A23 was not what I was looking for. To each…

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #84,945 of 89,864
Considering everything I’ve posted today in this thread, these interest me a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back