The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #84,093 of 87,733
I have really great doctors and a fabulous physiotherapist. But I appreciate the concern😁. I can use headphones but not for hours and not heavy ones.

Curious to know the intended listening environment? Patio, stationary, on the go? Tables available, electrical source available etc.

That information helps to narrow things down a bit.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #84,094 of 87,733
I am here as well, I started an intensive PT course and I cannot use my LCD-2C for the time being… really sucks. IEMs win again.
Hope it gets better soon. Would consider a referral for an MRI to see what’s going on and ensure there is no mechanical problem or impinging on a nerve. I don’t know what access is like where you are (we have it very good in Australia).

Always cautious re: physio to the neck. I’ve seen a few cases where cervical manipulation other than gentle stretches or release has resulted in complications. I still have a twingy facet joint from something I should not have done with the physio.

Best wishes!

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #84,095 of 87,733
Now That they lowered the price of the pilgrim to 399, I feel like I should buy two 🤷

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #84,096 of 87,733
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #84,097 of 87,733
I had the opportunity to check out the Elysian Diva and Annihilator (again) from the tour. I had already written an Annihilator Review here, but now I got a chance to write a review for the Diva and it was everything I was expecting it to be. I really enjoyed it a lot and found it well priced in the current market. If I didn't have so many similar sounding IEMs, I'd probably go buy it today. I preferred it with the BASS level on high, surprisingly.

I think I am becoming more of a basshead in my older days.

:D

20240316_122443.jpg

Always nice to see you pop in, Ant man.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #84,099 of 87,733
I really hope they're leveraging the production line cause everyone will jump for an every day Elysian at this price.
They're undercutting every other brands and trumping Penon in this range.
and they're still gonna make money!

hopefully a couple other brands follow suit so we can correct some of the insane pricing for some IEM's a bit here for those that won't.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #84,100 of 87,733
I'm just hoping that the Pilgrim sounds better than the one on the showfloor at CJ. I like my Truthear Nova significantly more than Pilgrim.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #84,101 of 87,733
I've managed to demo the HPA-23RM but not the PB5, so I can't give you any comparisons. I will try PB5 this weekend courtesy of @lycos so remind me to come back here and post impressions if you are after any. As for the HPA-23RM, my quick impressions are something like below.

Shanling M9 Plus > 3.5mm to dual RCA > Enleum HPA-23RM > dd-hifi 4.4 to 3.5 adapter > Subtonic STORM + Sovereign Symphony.

Cons
- Biggest con is that the amp is only single-ended, so both inputs and outputs were awkward to use, having to go through a 3.5mm to dual RCA splitter, as well as use a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter.
- Size, but only if this is an issue to you. Personally, I don't think this is a big con because I'd only ever use a portable amp at a seated location so it's fine. Storage might be a little awkward if you wanted to carry this around in porta-fi carry cases.

Pros
- Sounded fantastic even with all the compromises in the chain. I believe I used some random Amazon 3.5 to dual RCA splitter, and a dd-hifi 4.4 to 3.5mm adapter. I'd imagine this could sound better with higher quality IC and a stock 3.5mm cable.

Tonally seemed pretty neutral without colouration, but sound is very dynamic & explosive. Techs are also taken up a notch on everything. I REALLY REALLY wish they made this in a balanced 4.4 version.

VALUE however is a different story, and for the price the HPA-23RM is at, I really don't know if I would recommend it over other porta-amps around.
Great impressions. The weakest link in your test setup was probably the dd-hifi 4.4 to 3.5 adapter, but otherwise that chain is as good as it gets.

Regarding the balanced connection, in their defense, neither Bakoon Intl nor Bakoon Japan has ever made a balance amp, IIRC. The RCA connectors and size is really a match made for the Hugo 2. Being able to use the RCA output on the Hugo 2 alone squeezes out a bit extra performance, since it sounds better than the 3.5mm out. Being able to use RCA interconnect squeezes out a bit more performance, since the quality and selection of RCA IC at even $50 is vastly superior than 90% of the high-end 3.5mm/4.4mm IC on the market today.

I carry my Hugo 2 + 23RM stack in a Kraken sling bag. Have not raised any more eyebrows on the street than carrying around my Hugo 2 already did for years lol

Do you now have a favorite between 23RM and PB5?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #84,102 of 87,733
I'm just hoping that the Pilgrim sounds better than the one on the showfloor at CJ. I like my Truthear Nova significantly more than Pilgrim.
LOL I hope they vastly improve and change it by release too. It sounded like garbage at CJ. Not sure why some people are praising it so much. Just because it's an Elysian at $400?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #84,103 of 87,733
Yyyikes 😬 what about the tuning did it not do well for you ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #84,104 of 87,733
I tried the Sony gold brick and the buttons threw me, I am unused to that. It sounded good and felt solid, similar physical size to my P6Pro which I still think sounds better, that is a personal thing and it has been more then 4 years now so that familiarity is a factor.

Maybe by May this year, I am a doubter though that is what Leo (MT) said.
Andrew told me this afternoon that the Pillgram will be for sale at MT.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #84,105 of 87,733
I got to make my appearance once every 6 weeks to retain my associate membership right?

Oh, and this came in today. 2024 is not doing so well for quit audio already. :D

The PB5 sounds great. Barely broke it in, so I don't know how long this will last but there was some initial big big bloaty bloom, but it has calmed down a little bit now and it gives almost the perfect amount of bass to pair with the Subtonic Storm now -- something I've been toying with EQ lately. Now I don't have to. There's some charging quirks I don't like about this PB5 though -- mainly that it doesn't accept PD charging, which is a bit annoying for my current desktop cable setup. But that's pretty minor.

20240318_181030.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back