The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #84,106 of 88,665
LOL I hope they vastly improve and change it by release too. It sounded like garbage at CJ. Not sure why some people are praising it so much. Just because it's an Elysian at $400?
I could care less about brands, but I liked the pilgrim, and I think the annihilator is not a good item at all. It had no presence and such a lack of bass. It's one of the few iems I've tried and just taken out knowing I'm not going to like it after a couple minutes and switching a few tracks. I've tried it twice.

That's why this is a very subjective hobby.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #84,107 of 88,665
I could care less about brands, but I liked the pilgrim, and I think the annihilator is not a good item at all. It had no presence and such a lack of bass. It's one of the few iems I've tried and just taken out knowing I'm not going to like it after a couple minutes and switching a few tracks. I've tried it twice.

Very subjective but I think you're nuts for thinking Annihilator 2023 is not a good IEM at all. It does have good bass btw. Anni was one of the highlights for me at CJ. It... annihilated the "Pilgrim." :smile:

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #84,108 of 88,665
Very subjective but I think you're nuts for thinking Annihilator 2023 is not a good IEM at all. It does have good bass btw. Anni was one of the highlights for me at CJ. It... annihilated the "Pilgrim." :smile:
I said it before they could have offered me a brand new $499 annihilator and I would have passed if the condition was I couldn't sell it.

I mean I've heard probably by now like fifteen 2k plus IEM in the last six months, the Anni was my least favorite. I'm not sure who considers that bass, but to each their own 🤷

It's what makes this hobby interesting and as long as you're spending your money on it and not mine, all good to me.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #84,109 of 88,665
I would hope so since it's vastly higher in price 😅

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #84,110 of 88,665
I would hope so since it's vastly higher in price 😅
There's actually a marketing tool. Perceived value is often driven by price.

You could literally make two watches exactly the same quality and label one a Seiko and another say an Omega or some other more prestigious brand, and sell the same thing for a ton more money. The same can go for different products within a same brand. The same can go for different products within the same brand. By no means am I saying cheaper is better and there are any set rules, I'm just saying that often price is merely a perception of value and quality, and thus a very effective marketing tool.

I think it was empire ears who was right near the Elysian table. We were just chatting about the event in general and what we've heard, I mentioned the pilgrim as being a surprise sound to me, the one guy behind the empire ears table was like oh man that's going to change the game for some folks, at that price.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #84,111 of 88,665
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #84,112 of 88,665

I mean... looks like it has a fair amount of bass compared to every other "TOTL non-bass cannon" IEM in that atmosphere. It's about the same low end energy as the RN6 (bass wise going off Elise Audio's Squig) 🫨
I see your reference is the Volur and Bonneville, and I know bass FR doesn't nearly tell the whole story, but what you're getting at is that it doesn't have the same impact? Even if it doesn't roll off?

There's actually a marketing tool. Perceived value is often driven by price.

You could literally make two watches exactly the same quality and label one a Seiko and another say an Omega or some other more prestigious brand, and sell the same thing for a ton more money. The same can go for different products within a same brand. The same can go for different products within the same brand. By no means am I saying cheaper is better and there are any set rules, I'm just saying that often price is merely a perception of value and quality, and thus a very effective marketing tool.

I think it was empire ears who was right near the Elysian table. We were just chatting about the event in general and what we've heard, I mentioned the pilgrim as being a surprise sound to me, the one guy behind the empire ears table was like oh man that's going to change the game for some folks, at that price.
The Pilgrim was described by Smirk as a baby Anni with a hint more bass weight, so the 2023 can't entirely be bad. I suppose the $2600 delta is the glaring elephant in the room for you. That would be a huge game changer at $400 MSRP! :L3000:

EDIT: Symbio W's are the culprit :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #84,113 of 88,665
I mean... looks like it has a fair amount of bass compared to every other "TOTL non-bass cannon" IEM in that atmosphere. It's about the same low end energy as the RN6 (bass wise going off Elise Audio's Squig) 🫨
I see your reference is the Volur and Bonneville, and I know bass FR doesn't nearly tell the whole story, but what you're getting at is that it doesn't have the same impact? Even if it doesn't roll off?
I auditioned the pilgrim and the Anni with the same tips. So I really don't think it was the tips. I mean the only thing I can think of is I didn't get a good seal but I used the same tips on both Elysian products. Their nozzles seemed very similar as in both on the wider side. The Pilgrim sounded solid in the bass area. The Anni anemic. And I used the same tips on like 12 other IEMs that day. It's the only one that sounded that way to me, which echoed what I heard at MT.

I'll try them again. And try lots of tips, but that's been my experience.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #84,114 of 88,665
I got to make my appearance once every 6 weeks to retain my associate membership right?

Oh, and this came in today. 2024 is not doing so well for quit audio already. :D

The PB5 sounds great. Barely broke it in, so I don't know how long this will last but there was some initial big big bloaty bloom, but it has calmed down a little bit now and it gives almost the perfect amount of bass to pair with the Subtonic Storm now -- something I've been toying with EQ lately. Now I don't have to. There's some charging quirks I don't like about this PB5 though -- mainly that it doesn't accept PD charging, which is a bit annoying for my current desktop cable setup. But that's pretty minor.

20240318_181030.jpg
You haven't updated your signature with PB5?

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #84,115 of 88,665
You haven't updated your signature with PB5?
I shall do that now.

Anni has no bass? Bass anemic? My comment about me possibly becoming more of a basshead is now questionable as I thought the Anni had a good deal of bass and nice bass to add.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #84,116 of 88,665
I said it before they could have offered me a brand new $499 annihilator and I would have passed if the condition was I couldn't sell it.

I mean I've heard probably by now like fifteen 2k plus IEM in the last six months, the Anni was my least favorite. I'm not sure who considers that bass, but to each their own 🤷

It's what makes this hobby interesting and as long as you're spending your money on it and not mine, all good to me.
Probably didn’t fit your ears well, therefore no seal.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #84,117 of 88,665
Probably didn’t fit your ears well, therefore no seal.
Never had fit issues with anything really. Even back when the dunu 3000 was out and many people really liked it but most people couldn't stand the fit.

I've tried a bunch of IEM including big ones like the raven. No issues.

Actually someone I chat to a lot about iems because they've been very interested in the Volür, They love the jewel and that is staying in their collection, because the details in the highs and mids are really to their liking. But they find the lack of bass to be a negative for some listening sessions and want to also have a more fun but also detailed enough set to complement those. Without losing too much of the details but still being fun with high quality bass.

Before I tried the Anni I said why not try the Anni, people seem to love the detail and it has a dd. He said the bass is too lacking.

Also as I mentioned above I tried the Pilgrim and the anni with the same tips. And essentially every other IEM at canjam.

The new symbio w mediums.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #84,118 of 88,665
My Cayin N7 has arrived a day early….

It lifts the Bonneville to new heights. Everything is better. Imaging, tone, timbre..
Amazing…

IMG_7598.jpeg

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #84,119 of 88,665
Currently loving the WP900 with RS8 and a glass of wine - it’s a public holiday here today so wine is allowed 😂

@MatW - just occurred to me, can you bring 109 Pro on Saturday?! Or will you refuse as you’ve told me so many times to just buy a set 🤪

IMG_2250.jpeg
Nice looking cans David!

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #84,120 of 88,665
I shall do that now.

Anni has no bass? Bass anemic? My comment about me possibly becoming more of a basshead is now questionable as I thought the Anni had a good deal of bass and nice bass to add.
2021 had nonexistent bass
2023 is better but if you’re a basshead you’ll still think it’s lacking.

Shockingly I think the Diva has better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back