The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #80,011 of 90,069
Recently was able to get my hands on the new PMG APX courtesy of Musicteck, it's a very unique set in that it utilizes not only a DD in the lows but also a planar driver for the ultra lows, BA through the mid range/lower treble and yet ANOTHER planar in the ultra highs. It's an absolutely gorgeous IEM too with it's distinct amber faceplate. Anyway without further adieu, a brief impression of the APX.
apx-1.png

Despite being such a unique driver config, I found the APX quite easy to drive and had no issues off any DAP i tried it with (SP3k, Rs8, DX320x, DX320 max).

The fit of the APX is good as well, it is a very deep seating iem which I prefer. I do with the inside of the shell was a bit more contoured, as it is very flat, but it was very comfortable even over longer listening times. I do also wish the shells were a tad bit bigger for a little more in ear security, but in no way a negative since it is a universal, afterall.

The stock cable is actually a lot nicer than I was expecting, I did a bit of rolling with the APX and came back to it every time. Sonically it's a perfect fit for the APX, my only wish is they used a BIT of a better insulation, it feels a little cheap/rubbery and that they used a hard termination 4.4mm and not this swappable one. But again, nitpicking an otherwise great quality cable for the sake of putting everything on the table.

Technically, this set is one of the most adept, if not the most, that I've heard. It has an absolutely massive soundstage, great depth and height alongside a top tier imaging ability to neatly place everything inside it's giant stage. As one would expect utilizing 2 planars, this is an very quick and nimble set which is able to get through any complex passage with ease and finesse.
apx-2.png

Tonally, I find the APX to be a slight bit bright past neutral but with enough bass to level it out in nearly every situation so no part of the FR becomes overly emphasized.

Bass: The APX is a slightly bass elevated past neutral set but with the planar working the ultra lows and DD in the lows, the APX is able to be well contained and controlled across the spectrum. Relative to other DD sets on the market, the APX's DD does deliver a good punch and rumble from the planar but due to how nimble the drivers are, it decays relatively quickly but it does leave the set leaning slightly more mid-bassy than sub. Relative to other sets, like the Ragnar, I find the bass quality to be about equal, maybe SLIGHTLY leaning in the ragnar's favor but taking my bias for the ragnar out of the equation, I'd say they have equal quality while the APX has a slight edge in quantity. Both the Ragnar and APX have quick and nimble decay to their bass with the APX being just a bit quicker so you lose a slight bit of reverb in comparison to the Ragnar.

Mids: If I had to pick one area as the weakness of the APX it would be here in the mids. They are amazing quality, with great air and resolution with an extremely strong center image but higher pitched male vocals and lower pitched female vocals can come off a little dry. This isn't the case with deeper male vocals and higher pitched female vocals, however, they both sound excellent with a great sense of emotion and a natural decay, as expected from BA mids. Compared to the Ragnar, the APX's mids sit a bit further back in the mix but I was able to detect some slight bits of sibilance with the APX where as I have never with the Ragnar. This was rare, and only with a few female artists, such as Infected Rain, but by and large, the mids are high quality and tonally accurate but can lean a little dry at times.

Treble: Coming off reading a few others impressions/thoughts of the APX's treble, I immediately expected a much brighter/harsher treble than what I got. The treble of the APX is slightly bright, but never particularly harsh or glaring. There is an appreciable speed and etching to every note which provides a great amount of detail through the region. I do not think many of the Watercooler folks here who typically lean into a warmer sound would dislike the APX due to it's slightly bright leaning signature as it is so well balanced and musical despite being bright leaning. When doing A/B with Ragnar and APX and focusing on treble, I find the APX to have slightly greater separation due to the planar speed, while Ragnar's ests aren't far behind, they do have more decay/reverb than the APX is able to deliver. I found myself preferring the Ragnar here but the APX is wonderful in it's own rights.

The APX is an amazing set with technical capabilities that exceed many other similarly priced IEMs and a soundstage that I find unmatched, even compared to the Ragnar. They excel at quicker paced music, but even with slower paced they did well to not sound overly analytical or boring which I think is a great testament to how well they were tuned.

apx-3.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #80,012 of 90,069
While this cannot possibly become my go-to chain, it is indeed an interesting experience to listen to audio cassettes on a sony walkman (the OG!) with modern-day IEMs.

IMG_8068.jpeg

While these vintage players cannot keep up with modern digital audio players in resolution and technicalities, their fuzzy, warm, and the bassy sound makes for an interesting departure and good fun.

Super cool, wonder what it sounds like.

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #80,015 of 90,069
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #80,017 of 90,069
Yeah, Quattro definitely needs some copium fixes to max it out.

It really doesn't excel on anything beyond it being a really cohesive multi-driver iem.

For example, the subbass never pops out ahead; never distracts by drawing attention to itself (good thing). Same with other parts of the tonality. Center imaging is really solid with no uncanny feeling going outwards. Good cohesiveness.

That said...the bass is really not special for for being "dynamic drivers". Midbass is not well-rounded like a Senn ie900; nor is it close.

The next quirk this iem has, is a sense of reverb dynamics to things without overemphasized treble trailing notes but emphasizes reverb parts closer to the main note tone. The reverb does not give an exaggerated edge to notes, but more interesting mids stuff.

It kind of needs some more "aggressiveness" help which is what you'll want to look for from sources for it. (think the opposite of r-2r).

Also cable can help give it a sense of aggressiveness as well. For example, Nightjar Mira made a big difference on this; compared to simply using a silver cable. (for those into this stuff)

Overall this iem is a warm vibe. Probably relevant for people here into the presentation of their Sony daps.....but this comes straight from the iem itself. o.O;
I mentioned Quattro has a dark signature in Penon thread but was rejected by most people there. However, I still found one of the strength for Quattro is totally lack of sibilance, which I am still not sure is due to the roll off of treble or some special magic. Right now I am using different other sets to listen to many tracks, where there are some "aggressiveness" in the treble from those IEMs, but when I switched to Quattro, those "aggressiveness" is totally gone. For me, I love the long term comfort of listening with Quattro, it is unlike Ety ER4 from which you won't hear anything from both ends (a little exaggeration), you still can hear the treble but they won't offend you in anyway.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #80,018 of 90,069
Just watched it earlier. Their take on sound tuning is definitely very popular among the professional music industry

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #80,020 of 90,069

Might be interesting for this thread especially :p

I really like this video, interviews or tours like this definitely bring positive impression to a brand. More IEMs/Headphones companies should do that with YouTubers, I think I will definitely give 64audio more time next time in CanJam.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #80,021 of 90,069
I’m not a philosopher, but I think someone or something is trying to tell me something… 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7456.jpeg
    IMG_7456.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7457.jpeg
    IMG_7457.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #80,022 of 90,069
My muse for today...
667D8346-7F3C-49BA-92EA-5DF699DFF681.JPEG

Perpetua is quite nice with the Code 24. Touch of body and warmth, characteristic rich natural timbre, touch of energy but overall smooth up top, no perception of peaks. Great synergy across the board here. "Chef's Kiss"

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #80,023 of 90,069
How long is the lead time for you to receive the code 24? I am still waiting for mine.
@Sebastien Chiu should be able to help Bro.
Quattro insanity continued

IMG_2049.jpeg
OK, now just switch the cable to something ridiculous that you have. Code 24 is the cherry on top of you have, but get another cable on it, even tho stock is damn pretty.
I am still trying to figure out what's the real appeal of Quattro, in the beginning I thought it is the timbre. But again, when I did any critical analysis, it was hard for me to find anything that Quattro excels, so I am really wondering what is so mesmerizing about Quattro.
When properly powered and with a phat cable, it becomes the strangest animal but so fun and addictive, you just keep wondering how the next track is gonna sound, and luckily for me, my library likes it a lot. The bass capability is hidden by the stock cable, IMHO. Maybe it's a sin, but put the $800 code 24 with it, and for 1200, you got something pretty special.
Canjam NYC is almost upon us. @HiFiHawaii808 has graciously volunteered to get some nametags made again for regular posters who are going to be at the show. Criteria for receiving a nametag are as follows:

1) Post regularly in this community.
2) Attending CanJam NYC
3) Be willing to connect with the group...not all day or anything but least a token appearance or two.
4) Be present for the group photo.

Interested parties please PM @HiFiHawaii808 directly so he doesn't miss it. Looking forward to another great show! Vendors who will be present are welcome to request tags also.

9DDD33F6-43B1-4675-A4B9-773373A0C45A 2.jpeg
I'm counting the days, and beginning to wonder if there's a 12 step program for us...
This is a little less than 4ft x 8ft and holds just shy of 2,000. Jazz and classical is on a second shelf. I hurt my back making the shelf, luckily I had a couple guys help me to mount it.

IMG_3389.jpeg
Shiver me timbers, I must hang with Todd, I need your inspiration! If only I could figure out a wall for this!
My muse for today...667D8346-7F3C-49BA-92EA-5DF699DFF681.JPEG

Perpetua is quite nice with the Code 24. Touch of body and warmth, characteristic rich natural timbre, touch of energy but overall smooth up top, no perception of peaks. Great synergy across the board here. "Chef's Kiss"
Jeff, please plug your Quattro into that exact setup, Perpetua will be patient, and let me know what you think. What I said above, put Quattro on that cable with a good source and it's a step up from the stock.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #80,024 of 90,069
Catching up with the thread and getting the sense that we could use some good vibes shared all around. So, I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday full of music listening!

On my end, I just received the iBasso DC Elite dongle, and I have to say it is the real deal! I think I may actually prefer its sound to that of my good ol' DX300. I tried it with several of my sets to get a broad impression. That being said, because the Traillii sounds so good off of anything you plug it into, that ended up not being the most informative choice of transducer. On the other hand, the Trifecta loves this dongle... at least in my opinion, but this of course is relative to how you would tweak the stock Trifecta sound so YMMV. There is an added density and tightness to the low end that I feel elevates the Trifecta to new heights for me. In particular, I find improvements to the speed of the bass that massively increase my enjoyment of fast paced electronic music such as IDM. The blackness of the DC Elite's background also plays really well with the Trifecta's massive staging. The midrange is largely uncolored so if you're interested in further warmth there this dongle may not be your cup of tea, but at least with this IEM I don't feel the need to add more color there.

I also have briefly tried the DC Elite with the VE Elysium and I don't think I've heard its treble extend as well before. Take this with a grain of salt though as I haven't compared with other sources and it's been a while since I gave the Elysium some time. Lastly, the DC Elite can drive the Meze Elite really well too, but once again the Meze cans are known for not being very picky with sources so maybe there's not much surprise. Much more listening to come, but so far this dongle is an absolute winner (especially with Trifecta) and I'm really impressed with what iBasso has been up to lately.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #80,025 of 90,069
Jeff, please plug your Quattro into that exact setup, Perpetua will be patient, and let me know what you think. What I said above, put Quattro on that cable with a good source and it's a step up from the stock.

I don't have the Quattro unfortunately-- the only one I've heard is yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back