The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #75,901 of 87,797
Easy.
Audio - Elysian Annihilator
Non Audio - A wife
See my reply, not having a wife is a bless, you will know once you are married :).

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #75,902 of 87,797
IMG_1913.jpeg

I’ve never experienced synergy like this with an aftermarket cable... Just wow.. Effect Audio knocked it out of the park with this LE cable. Bonneville continues to impress me.

Loving this same combo. Nice Christmas package too.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #75,903 of 87,797
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
In audio, it’d probably be delay. I was mixing that track I shared a few days ago, and the percussion and guitars (all mono) were feeling out-of-place in a track filled with stereo keys, strings, synths and vocals. They’d pop in, then, poof, they were gone. They felt inconsequential or sudden. Something in me said, “Why don’t you make them last a bit longer? Make them more part of the mix?” In my mind, that just screams ping-pong delay. Ping-pong delay is an effect where you give a sound a trail of echoes, but each consecutive echo would alternate between the left and right channel, so the instrument bounced around in your head; like a ping pong ball. I’d never used post-production delay before, ‘cus I never felt the need. This time, as soon as I added it, it made the mix so much richer and fuller. In many cases, even if you couldn’t hear the ping pong effect, just the fact that those mono sounds now had a stereo trail did wonders in assimilating them into the track. These disparate parts finally felt like they belonged. I couldn’t have been happier with that “discovery.”

If we’re talking non-audio, it’d absolutely be working out. I always had excuses for not doing it, mostly being a lack of time. But, deep down, it had a lot to do with my self-esteem or shame as well. Part of me irrationally feared people would laugh at me if I tried going to the gym and looked funny on the machines or something (which I discovered is very, very common, and one of the biggest deterrents to people getting fit), so I always shied away from the idea. After I retired from reviewing, I suddenly had a ton of free time on my hands and, with my wedding coming up as well, I said, “Screw it,” and gave it a go. I managed to lose 20kg within a year and build a decent amount of muscle definition in the process. Now that the wedding’s done, my current goal is to try to get big, which I’ve discovered is a much tougher thing for my body to do. But, yeah, fitness has definitely gone from a distant fantasy to one of my daily tenets. It’s literally life-changing.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #75,904 of 87,797
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #75,905 of 87,797
It took me a while to think over this. Audio related I’m honestly not sure. I’d like to think that throughout my journey so far I’ve been really open minded and experimental. Perhaps my unwillingness to really explore headphones? I’m not sure that’s me resisting though rather than just knowing it’s not ideal for my use case.

I slept on external amps for a while but again they just don’t fit my ideal use case.

Non audio related is easy… I wish I would have taken my health more seriously at a younger age because it’s become a non-negotiable aspect of my lifestyle now and I constantly think “what if” had I started this earlier. I wake up every morning Mon-Sat at 6am or earlier to go workout and I love every bit of it. But such is life, I don’t regret the choices I made in my younger years either. Live and learn I suppose 😜

Actually I can think of a better one that’s audio related… I slept on CanJams for far too long. I wish I would have started attending these a while ago because I loved Dallas but that’s actively changing now with my plans for NYC ‘24 set in stone. 🥳

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #75,906 of 87,797
It took me a while to think over this. Audio related I’m honestly not sure. I’d like to think that throughout my journey so far I’ve been really open minded and experimental. Perhaps my unwillingness to really explore headphones? I’m not sure that’s me resisting though rather than just knowing it’s not ideal for my use case.

I slept on external amps for a while but again they just don’t fit my ideal use case.

Non audio related is easy… I wish I would have taken my health more seriously at a younger age because it’s become a non-negotiable aspect of my lifestyle now and I constantly think “what if” had I started this earlier. I wake up every morning Mon-Sat at 6am or earlier to go workout and I love every bit of it. But such is life, I don’t regret the choices I made in my younger years either. Live and learn I suppose 😜
Audio - DAPs
Non Audio - 100% with you on this, especially now that I have two young kids and I sometimes worry that my choices will come back to bite me in the ass (I was a smoker for a number of years). Just try to do the best I can now healthwise and hope it makes a difference.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #75,907 of 87,797
See my reply, not having a wife is a bless, you will know once you are married :).
Are we saying the same thing or the opposite lol? I got married last spring.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #75,908 of 87,797
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.

Audio is the realization that my preference isn’t exactly truthful/neutral. I like a good U shape.

Non audio is making mental health a priority. Growing up that just wasn’t a thing. “Cheer up.”

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #75,909 of 87,797

Audio: EQ... spent so long disregarding headphones that just missed the mark to be a purist, only to find out that a small turn of a knob would've saved me a lot of time and money.

Non-audio: Jiu-Jitsu. I wish I would've started as a teenager or younger.

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #75,910 of 87,797
Are we saying the same thing or the opposite lol? I got married last spring.
Okay, maybe the wording is confusing since the answer is something you should have done long time ago.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #75,911 of 87,797
I’ll play:

Audio - having a very good portable audio setup for the first time in my life. I waited too long considering I love music. Besides playing guitar for 30 years and having over 10k CDs I never listened with a good set of iem’s or DAP. I used my home theater system to do that but my wife hates my music and everything is “always too loud”.

Non audio - ironically I wish I would have saved more $ as my oldest child will be going to college next fall. This goes against my audio one lol.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #75,912 of 87,797
My long weekend is off to a good start. Vortex cable demos came in from Oscar (manufacturer). Thanks @raylu for the introduction 🙏.

Unboxing:
Messenger_creation_8a066a3d-f4cd-48a8-b850-7e22655abafc.jpeg
The outer box is cool. It has a shiny trim / text that catches the light. Reminds me of holographic trading cards.

Messenger_creation_4e153a15-9e97-4281-b04a-3166c8cf6fd1.jpeg
Inner leather sleeve

Messenger_creation_93540c0d-b6d8-4842-963c-3f32960bf773.jpeg

Cable, leather clip, and carrying case. I like that the brown leather clip is branded.

Messenger_creation_ae4ca700-8c89-4958-a6a3-78dfc75e4413.jpeg

The carrying pouch is nice. It is a pocketable size. The leather feels supple. The opening latch is held together by magnets. I can see myself using it solo or inserting it into my Van Nueys shoulder bag.

Messenger_creation_a3180106-a1da-405e-9178-2ff064a3100d.jpeg

Left: Seraphina ($439), Bottom: Alida ($509), Right: Lavina ($759)

Messenger_creation_d32de945-01c1-496a-b8ff-b0f34b72c342.jpeg

This feels premium! I like the custom Y splitter hardware and the orange / black lava colourway. I'll post some impressions once I get enough eartime.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #75,913 of 87,797
I’d be interested in examples of a company we talk about here doing this, specifically advertising an item as a limited release and then releasing more units with a cosmetic change. I’d want to avoid them also but don’t recall this for items we discuss here.
I am not entirely sure on that, but wasn't the Trifecta limited to 333 units at some point? And in the end we don't really know if brands keep those numbers anyway, paper is patient, as we say in germany.
Oh an also the Supermoon was limited to 50 Universals until it wasn't.

And yeah the Indigo/MkIII bait and switch including rambling about the "different tuning philosophies" between those IEMs turned me off the brand completely. Turns out they measure the same.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #75,914 of 87,797
Just want to say hi for the first time to the Watercooler. I’ve been reading for a while now but never chimed in.

My name is (not THE, but another) Jeff. Been in this hobby since before there were many options and I was into IEMs when I first started (very few options). Reading through this thread has reignited my interest in IEMs and the hobby as a whole.

Congrats on 5000+ pages!

Welcome friend and fellow Jeff...and fellow cat lover it would seem :) I'm glad you decided to break your silence and joint the fold-- I'm excited to see how your journey unfolds.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #75,915 of 87,797
I am not entirely sure on that, but wasn't the Trifecta limited to 333 units at some point? And in the end we don't really know if brands keep those numbers anyway, paper is patient, as we say in germany.
Usually what ends up happening is that they originally produce a certain amount. Then if there is a high enough demand for a product they usually end up either making a second set of them afterwards. Or they take basically the thing that is popular and keep the #s accurate and re-release it as a new product. For example, Dunu SA6 Ultra and then rereleased as Dunu SA6 MKII. You get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back