The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 17, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #73,817 of 90,027
Coming to a channel near you.

Supermoon vs Bonneville vs Trifecta.jpg

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #73,818 of 90,027
Hey everyone,

I've got an interesting task and could really use your help. I'm looking for an IEM that brings out the best in vocals, something that I think will complement a Raven nicely. To figure this out, I've set up a quick 10-second listening test.

If you're up for it, could you take a moment to listen to 'Mono Sapiens - Mechanistic Inception' at 5:05 for just 10 seconds? I'd love to know if you can clearly hear what's being said, and which IEM you're using. A simple reply like 'Yes - [IEM Model]' would be perfect. Raven presents the highs and mids at almost equal weight there, and it's not clearly understandable.

Your help with this would be super appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #73,819 of 90,027
Use the one you prefer the interface / workflow of? Ripping is only half the game and secure ripping takes longer. There is still converting the wavs, tagging and album art! Yes EAC uses the accuraterip database
I agree with this statement.

For me personally I've setup EAC so it does the secure ripping and then automatically converts them to FLAC. It also finds the basic tag information.

Then I take the FLACs to foobar apply tags from discogs and Musicbrainz, add Replaygain information and then use Album Art Downloader to find the best quality album ard and then the process is done.

Move it to the NAS and DAP, finished.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #73,820 of 90,027
Eno's cat.JPG

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #73,821 of 90,027
Hey everyone,

I've got an interesting task and could really use your help. I'm looking for an IEM that brings out the best in vocals, something that I think will complement a Raven nicely. To figure this out, I've set up a quick 10-second listening test.

If you're up for it, could you take a moment to listen to 'Mono Sapiens - Mechanistic Inception' at 5:05 for just 10 seconds? I'd love to know if you can clearly hear what's being said, and which IEM you're using. A simple reply like 'Yes - [IEM Model]' would be perfect. Raven presents the highs and mids at almost equal weight there, and it's not clearly understandable.

Your help with this would be super appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance!
Hi,

Very interesting test.

I can clearly understand what’s being said with Empire Ears Odin.

I also tried with FatFreq Grand Maestro, i can understand but not so clearly compared with Odin.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #73,822 of 90,027
Q for Team Tinnitus:

Since our friend mostly manifests himself in upper mids and treble, do you feel that compared to others you need more brightness to make those frequencies stand out against tinnitus? Or less because having them both easily becomes too much?

drftr
I tend to need less treble. With headphones I often times EQ a small amount (less than -1db) at around 12 to 14khz just to smooth out the highs. Volume level is the biggest factor for me as far as exacerbating my tinnitus.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #73,823 of 90,027
Definitely less for me. Too much treble triggers my tinnitus big time.
I'm sure it's there while listening, but that's the only time I don't suffer from it - most likely because I turn up the volume too much. And I think a big part of the reason is that I still want outstanding details and stuff and have to make it heard louder than the tinnitus.

Being weeks from becoming 55 of age makes me shrug my shoulders to tinnitus a bit. Yes, it will become even worse, but it's terrible already. I think I can take on another 15-20% if it delivers me fantastic listening sessions each and every day until the day I die. If I had been 35-40 I would have thought different. Or so I think now. While I didn't.

Is 36 Ohm impedance unusually high for an iem? (many are around 20 or below). Only Mellianus benefits from using a higher gain, the sound has smoothed out.
It is high, but it's often only a part of the FR. It's "too high" if it were in the bass department. Because in that case the amount of bass the IEM can produce is largely depending on the impedance of the amplifier, while if the impedance in the bass region is very low then the amp doesn't influence the amount of bass nearly as much. Having said that, this is a great way to produce more bass for a relatively bass light IEM like for instance U18t which has wild impedance swings. It's probably the main reason that some find the U18t very bass shy while for others is perfect: It depends on the impedance of their amps (apart from taste).

I don't know if the same effect plays out across the whole FR. Perhaps @Deezel177 knows?

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #73,825 of 90,027
Nostalgia Audio Camelot after 70 hours of play time with stock cable (I just leave it playing on one of the DAPs when I'm not listening so that the iem & the stock cable burns-in and continues to get playtime) - Between 50 hours and 70 hours, it seems to have opened up a lot. The resolution has improved and the stage is more wider and gets that holographic feel.

I was primarily using my Cayin N30 LE and briefly listened around the 40 hours - 50 hours mark with the Sony WM1AM2. The treble wasn't non existing and sounded dull. I was thinking either it was because of switching over from N30LE or that the synergy with WM1AM2 wasn't good. At the 70 hour mark, I felt that it was a good time to try WM1AM2 again. It had changed for the best. What a synergy and a lovely pairing it is now. The bass goes deep when the song calls for it and the non-existent treble is back. Airy, resolving and extending very nicely at the top. Very balanced and a very good pairing with Sony WM1AM2

I'll continue to play it even when not listening and will give a listen for sometime in between. Let's see how it sounds after 100 hours.

I had initially said that this iem definitely deserves your time to be heard. But the way this has been shaping up, it is going to end up as a recommendation (soon after the 100 hour mark) to buy. Very surprised that this iem has been flying under the radar mostly.

Edit: added the strike-through on 'non'

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #73,827 of 90,027
Does MusicTeck no longer carry Fir Audio? They only have the Frontier line.Bloom on the other hand has the new E12

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #73,828 of 90,027
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #73,829 of 90,027
Q for Team Tinnitus:

Since our friend mostly manifests himself in upper mids and treble, do you feel that compared to others you need more brightness to make those frequencies stand out against tinnitus? Or less because having them both easily becomes too much?

drftr

Definitely less for me. Too much treble triggers my tinnitus big time.
Less for moi aussi

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #73,830 of 90,027
Nostalgia Audio Camelot after 70 hours of play time with stock cable (I just leave it playing on one of the DAPs when I'm not listening so that the iem & the stock cable burns-in and continues to get playtime) - Between 50 hours and 70 hours, it seems to have opened up a lot. The resolution has improved and the stage is more wider and gets that holographic feel.

I was primarily using my Cayin N30 LE and briefly listened around the 40 hours - 50 hours mark with the Sony WM1AM2. The treble wasn't non existing and sounded dull. I was thinking either it was because of switching over from N30LE or that the synergy with WM1AM2 wasn't good. At the 70 hour mark, I felt that it was a good time to try WM1AM2 again. It had changed for the best. What a synergy and a lovely pairing it is now. The bass goes deep when the song calls for it and the non-existent treble is back. Airy, resolving and extending very nicely at the top. Very balanced and a very good pairing with Sony WM1AM2

I'll continue to play it even when not listening and will give a listen for sometime in between. Let's see how it sounds after 100 hours.

I had initially said that this iem definitely deserves your time to be heard. But the way this has been shaping up, it is going to end up as a recommendation (soon after the 100 hour mark) to buy. Very surprised that this iem has been flying under the radar mostly.

Edit: added the strike-through on 'non'
Traveling at the moment. Used to bring along 2 IEMs. This time it’s only the Camelot. RS8 + Camelot is such a sweet combo.

IMG_0535.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back