The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 16, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #73,802 of 91,364
Could be. But hearing about it only now and haven't heard it discussed here. Dita has been about Perpetua & the upcoming Project M. This project 71 looks intriguing.
It was unfortunately a very limited release, so the best you can do is pick ‘em up 2nd hand.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #73,803 of 91,364
Is the fokus prestige the best TWS out there?
I have tried 5 sets so far - the Sony XM3, AirPods Pro 1/2, the B&O Beoplay EQ and the Fokus Prestige.

In terms of SQ, the Fokus is the best of that bunch.

Airpod Pros are not far off and if you have an iPhone the connectivity is the best.

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #73,804 of 91,364
Screenshot_20231215-202054_Messenger.jpg

At the lounge (again) writing my first impressions of TSMR Halo $2000 (Left) and Sound Rhyme Prado $1800 (right). My listening focus was Joe Hisashis essentials (small ensemble classical).

TSMR Halo: 8 BA 4 EST

This is a warm neutral relaxed tuning. Coming from Canpur 622B I noticed notes sounded softer, smaller fuzzier. Besides the substancial drop with resolution another thing was I noticed was the small and flat 2D staging (lacking depth) as if it's presenting music on 1 plane. Dynamic contrast was also lacking. I generally found the tuning "ok" for electronic in term of tuning match up (mild V shape) but it lacked the extension / tactile imaging fitness to a similarly priced set like Elysian Diva 21 or 23.

Timbre test track: Joe Hisashi - Merry Go of Life.

Halo had a diffused, ethereal, airy presentation with the higher pitched instruments at the foreground like xylephones. Strings take more center stage albeit sounding thin digital (lacking lower mids?). Piano also sounds off with its lack of body.

SoundRhyme Prado: 12 BA 4 EST (Both switches up).

This is SoundRhymes new flagship iem. I had the opportunity to demo it's predecessors SR5 and SR8. I found the technicalities to be improved upon mainly dynamics. This is well tuned and better suited for my preferences (W shape). It has a resemblence to 622B but smoother / darker up top.

I liked the staging a lot more than the Halo and found it balanced with the height, depth and width. The elevated mid bass / lower mids compared to Halo gave acoustic instruments and appropriate note weight where Halo felt dainty.

Same test track Joe Hisashi - Merry Go of Life:

Prado does what this track intended giving me a romantic blissful musical playback. Piano are relaxed with long decays sounding like it has sustain pedals activated. Strings are smooth and but it can hit its emotional strides albeit subtle.

622B vs Prado:

Test track: Adiago for Stings

I enjoyed both of these presentations. If 622B was Impact, Prado would be Phonix OG. 622 and Prado have similar tuning proportions. Halo is a more intimate presentation as if I am in a smaller non treated room. Strings were positioned more like encores having long decays sounding thicker and more "zoomed" in to the performance.

622B was cleaner with strings being leaner and more extended. The listening angle is more "eagle eye". I am sitting 10 rows further back. While Prado has decent imaging despite the warmth that it has 622B was on another level. My mind could almost draw a portrait of each individual notes and where it was going on either X or Y axis.

TLDR: I found Prado to be more technical than Halo. Between these two sets I could personally allocate a use case for Prado as a less technical but more analog, hearty set.

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #73,805 of 91,364
Screenshot_20231215-202054_Messenger.jpg

At the lounge (again) writing my first impressions of TSMR Halo $2000 (Left) and Sound Rhyme Prado $1800 (right). My listening focus was Joe Hisashis essentials (small ensemble classical).

TSMR Halo: 8 BA 4 EST

This is a warm neutral relaxed tuning. Coming from Canpur 622B I noticed notes sounded softer, smaller fuzzier. Besides the substancial drop with resolution another thing was I noticed was the small and flat 2D staging (lacking depth) as if it's presenting music on 1 plane. Dynamic contrast was also lacking. I generally found the tuning "ok" for electronic in term of tuning match up (mild V shape) but it lacked the extension / tactile imaging fitness to a similarly priced set like Elysian Diva 21 or 23.

Timbre test track: Joe Hisashi - Merry Go of Life.

Halo had a diffused, ethereal, airy presentation with the higher pitched instruments at the foreground like xylephones. Strings take more center stage albeit sounding thin digital (lacking lower mids?). Piano also sounds off with its lack of body.

SoundRhyme Prado: 12 BA 4 EST (Both switches up).

This is SoundRhymes new flagship iem. I had the opportunity to demo it's predecessors SR5 and SR8. I found the technicalities to be improved upon mainly dynamics. This is well tuned and better suited for my preferences (W shape). It has a resemblence to 622B but smoother / darker up top.

I liked the staging a lot more than the Halo and found it balanced with the height, depth and width. The elevated mid bass / lower mids compared to Halo gave acoustic instruments and appropriate note weight where Halo felt dainty.

Same test track Joe Hisashi - Merry Go of Life:

Prado does what this track intended giving me a romantic blissful musical playback. Piano are relaxed with long decays sounding like it has sustain pedals activated. Strings are smooth and but it can hit its emotional strides albeit subtle.

622B vs Prado:

Test track: Adiago for Stings

I enjoyed both of these presentations. If 622B was Impact, Prado would be Phonix OG. 622 and Prado have similar tuning proportions. Halo is a more intimate presentation as if I am in a smaller non treated room. Strings were positioned more like encores having long decays sounding thicker and more "zoomed" in to the performance.

622B was cleaner with strings being leaner and more extended. The listening angle is more "eagle eye". I am sitting 10 rows further back. While Prado has decent imaging despite the warmth that it has 622B was on another level. My mind could almost draw a portrait of each individual notes and where it was going on either X or Y axis.

TLDR: I found Prado to be more technical than Halo. Between these two sets I could personally allocate a use case for Prado as a less technical but more analog, hearty set.
Prado sounds promising. Would love a chance to hear it as well because I really enjoyed the SR8!

How’s the depth of stage on Prado? That was the most lacking element for me with SR8 besides its Dynamic Contrast.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #73,806 of 91,364
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #73,807 of 91,364
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #73,808 of 91,364
Always nice to see you around, Antman!

Thanks! Been so busy with work, traveling, and another hobby, that I have actually have had little time to try out new music and audio gears. :)
also this storm is a good deterrent from IEM envy. (it does cause source envy though...)

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #73,809 of 91,364
Thanks! Been so busy with work, traveling, and another hobby, that I have actually have had little time to try out new music and audio gears. :)
also this storm is a good deterrent from IEM envy. (it does cause source envy though...)

I agree it's a magnificent IEM. (I'm pretty sure at least half of the 50 launch edition units went to regulars of this thread.) I've been fortunate to demo it on a few occasions first in NYC then SoCal. It sounded quite nice with my (at the time) LP6. I was bummed you didn't make SoCal this year-- you should try and come out to NYC in March if it's feasible.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #73,810 of 91,364
I'm pretty sure EAC uses accuraterip's database and also contributes the results of CD rips of its users to the database. I don't remember if you have to manually enable the feature or if it's enabled by default but I've been using it forever that way.

EAC has been a great tool for many, many years for me to rip CDs.
Not sure yet whether to use EAC or dbPoweramp.

I finally found some time to compile my thoughts on Annihilator (‘23). It’s rare for me to have two higher end IEMs in my small collection at any given time so I felt compelled to compare it against RN6, which I’ve owned since it launched earlier this year.
Congrats on the fantastic write-up!

@doctorjuggles sells a handful of different custom-built cables for which he customizes the hardware. [...] His customer service and communication are top shelf.
I only got 2 responses from him over a 6 wk period and decided I didn't want to go that way. I'm sure what he delivers is awesome though and one day I'll try once more.

Brise Naobi LE handles like a dream. I kinda regret selling it- EA Signature series didn't hold a candle w.r.t. sound and ergo. Good news is that my Asuha LE is incoming!
I only demoed the Ref versions of those cables and found Asuha.Ref2 especially cumbersome to handle. I hope for you the LE version does better in that regard. Gorgeous sound though and an awesome build.

drftr

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #73,812 of 91,364
Q for Team Tinnitus:

Since our friend mostly manifests himself in upper mids and treble, do you feel that compared to others you need more brightness to make those frequencies stand out against tinnitus? Or less because having them both easily becomes too much?

drftr
Definitely less for me. Too much treble triggers my tinnitus big time.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #73,813 of 91,364
Not sure yet whether to use EAC or dbPoweramp.

Use the one you prefer the interface / workflow of? Ripping is only half the game and secure ripping takes longer. There is still converting the wavs, tagging and album art! Yes EAC uses the accuraterip database

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #73,814 of 91,364
Q for Team Tinnitus:

Since our friend mostly manifests himself in upper mids and treble, do you feel that compared to others you need more brightness to make those frequencies stand out against tinnitus? Or less because having them both easily becomes too much?

drftr
I definitely became more sensitive to Brightness. So less brightness for me. Also low volume in general, since I got more “serious” into the hobby, music volumes have become quite low (below gain 10 in most DAPs/IEMs combinations).

Talking about combinations… let’s talk about synergy.

N30LE + Cardas Clear made by @Benno1988 (aka 1950) + UM MM

I’m having quite a nice Sunday evening around here. This pairing has quite a remarkable synergy. Smooth, technical, detailed and musical (polemic word, but I will use anyway). It tames the upper frequencies of Mentor quite significantly, without compromising the technicalities. Loving it. 😊

That old feeling of “sit down on the couch after a long day, open a beer and just relax.”

IMG_0262.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back