The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #73,831 of 91,367
Traveling at the moment. Used to bring along 2 IEMs. This time it’s only the Camelot. RS8 + Camelot is such a sweet combo.

IMG_0535.jpeg

Definitely intrigued by the Camelot. How would you describe its signature?

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #73,832 of 91,367
Less for moi aussi
Less would have been better before the tinnitus, just maybe..? 🫣

A good reminder for all of us in this hobby. Take care of your ears!

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #73,833 of 91,367
Hi team Watercooler!

We have two new Effect Audio cables coming in the next few months we will be sending out early for feedback and discussion.

Can I get a headcount on who'd' like to try them? This tour is GLOBAL so we can send to anyone anywhere and we have enough units to go around multiple places at the same time.

Like this post so I can keep track.

Sorry I can't share more info otherwise at this time!

Thanks.

-Seb
I'm interested.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #73,834 of 91,367
Definitely intrigued by the Camelot. How would you describe its signature?
Bass - not a basshead set but it’s not lacking either. Having a DD for that, the nice bass decay is lovely.

Treble - it is just so synergistic with the RS8 which I love much more than with N30LE. For some reasons the high frequencies of the N30LE are more enjoyable with the Mentor and RN6. Perhaps it’s rolled off on the RS8. In that case it’s a very enjoyable roll-off to me.

Mids - an area that I am not very discerning. If I am not wrong, the RS8 does warm up the mids quite a bit. I detect that in the Mentor where it sounded “muddy” when I first hook up each time. It is only after the first few minutes that there’s better clarity. Brain “burn-in” perhaps? Happens every time when I listen to the MM on the RS8. With the Camelot it sounds just right. No muddiness at all.

On the whole, the Camelot on the RS8 doesn’t push me away like it does on the N30LE or DX320. It is smooth and sweet. Not bright not thumping. Not energetic but never dull. I can listen to it for hours without feeling fatigued.

I have not listened to the Camelot with the WM1ZM2. From memory, the Sony has an even wider soundstage than the N30LE. It also has that warmth that should work well with the Camelot.

Hope the above does justice to the Camelot.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #73,835 of 91,367
Bass - not a basshead set but it’s not lacking either. Having a DD for that, the nice bass decay is lovely.

Treble - it is just so synergistic with the RS8 which I love much more than with N30LE. For some reasons the high frequencies of the N30LE are more enjoyable with the Mentor and RN6. Perhaps it’s rolled off on the RS8. In that case it’s a very enjoyable roll-off to me.

Mids - an area that I am not very discerning. If I am not wrong, the RS8 does warm up the mids quite a bit. I detect that in the Mentor where it sounded “muddy” when I first hook up each time. It is only after the first few minutes that there’s better clarity. Brain “burn-in” perhaps? Happens every time when I listen to the MM on the RS8. With the Camelot it sounds just right. No muddiness at all.

On the whole, the Camelot on the RS8 doesn’t push me away like it does on the N30LE or DX320. It is smooth and sweet. Not bright not thumping. Not energetic but never dull. I can listen to it for hours without feeling fatigued.

I have not listened to the Camelot with the WM1ZM2. From memory, the Sony has an even wider soundstage than the N30LE. It also has that warmth that should work well with the Camelot.

I think the R2R magic of the RS8 is really something special with a lot of IEMs. It's kind of "blah" at first but the more you listen the more it moves you. RS8 was shaping up to be my favorite DAP until the WM1Z came of nowhere to show me that Sony in 2017 was so far ahead of its time that, to this day, nobody has caught up.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #73,836 of 91,367
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #73,837 of 91,367

Ja, that was also my experience with MM + RS8 - the pairing wasn’t the best synergy due muddying up MM’s mids

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #73,838 of 91,367
Would love to hear the story. MT is my best and nicest vendor. Bloom does no give as good discounts.

claud

Your last sentence is a hint.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #73,839 of 91,367
I think the R2R magic of the RS8 is really something special with a lot of IEMs. It's kind of "blah" at first but the more you listen the more it moves you. RS8 was shaping up to be my favorite DAP until the WM1Z came of nowhere to show me that Sony in 2017 was so far ahead of its time that, to this day, nobody has caught up.
I do believe that R2R implementation on the RS8 is just right for the Camelot. The sound reminds me of listening to cassette tapes but with superior clarity. The experience is heightened further with 320K files.

As for Sony, my first listen to the 1ZM2 was blah. I only warmed up to it when a/bing with other DAPs

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #73,841 of 91,367
Since $1500 Range IEM’s are prevalent in a lot of taste tests here, could I get some suggestions on a similar price range of desktop amplifiers that have the appropriate noise floor for IEM’s.

As an example a CA1000T can be had for $1500 but it not just an amp but a “desktop audio player”. Just looking for $1500 range of desktop sized amps that require or take advantage of separate DAC/Streamers. Desktop sized would be like the mid sized Schiit gear or an HPA4 for instance and not a Holo Audio Bliss or rack width unit. Mini GSX, SPL Phonitor, ifi Pro iCan sized devices.

What’s your favorite desktop amp in these parameters for IEM’s if you will, please?

Here’s a small desk photo from the intarwebz:

IMG_3865.jpeg

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #73,842 of 91,367
I only got 2 responses from him over a 6 wk period and decided I didn't want to go that way. I'm sure what he delivers is awesome though and one day I'll try once more.
In my experience, delayed comms are typical for many in the entrepreneurial/small shop segment of the audiophile industry. Generally I find their communications to be clear, transparent and engaging (that’s the “top shelf”), once there is engagement. But I have had gaps and lulls in responsiveness from a number of cable and IEM producers. They are fortunate their products are often so brilliant, that their brands don’t take too destructive a hit due to these behaviors.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #73,843 of 91,367

Very nicely put.

Adding some more impressions of camelot:
I don't have the WM1ZM2, but I can confirm that the WM1Z adds that correct dosage of warmth that makes Camelot sound solid (even better than WM1AM2). Also in comparison to WM1AM2, the WM1Z's sound quality is noticeably better and can hear some details & texture not present in the WM1AM2.

But to my ears, N30LE's sound quality leaves all of these far behind (doesn't mean the other daps don't sound good, it is that N30LE is so good with respect to sound). The sound is clean, while tastefully colored with the bass going even lower. Also, N30LE is not dry nor boring.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #73,844 of 91,367
Q for Team Tinnitus:

Since our friend mostly manifests himself in upper mids and treble, do you feel that compared to others you need more brightness to make those frequencies stand out against tinnitus? Or less because having them both easily becomes too much?

drftr
I’ve got fairly strong ongoing tinnitus, and I need much less poor quality upper mid/treble - it’s almost like hearing glare in those parts of the FR make me feel like I’m having a double strength tinnitus outburst. However if it’s high quality upper mids and treble, such as with Fei Wan, I have zero tinnitus triggering. So it depends on the nature of the brightness whether the friend shows up or not.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #73,845 of 91,367
I’ve got fairly strong ongoing tinnitus, and I need much less poor quality upper mid/treble - it’s almost like hearing glare in those parts of the FR make me feel like I’m having a double strength tinnitus outburst. However if it’s high quality upper mids and treble, such as with Fei Wan, I have zero tinnitus triggering. So it depends on the nature of the brightness whether the friend shows up or not.
Hmm... D'ya think I can get a FW on doctor's prescription then???

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back