The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 3, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #72,271 of 89,809
If only it were that easy a choice for me. My ear canals are a wonky shape. Bogdan at Fir said it would be very tricky to fabricate a CIEM that would work with my anatomy, so I’m not looking to gamble. Plus CIEMs don’t seem easy to resell.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #72,272 of 89,809
If only it were that easy a choice for me. My ear canals are a wonky shape. Bogdan at Fir said it would be very tricky to fabricate a CIEM that would work with my anatomy, so I’m not looking to gamble. Plus CIEMs don’t seem easy to resell.
Ah I see, that rules out CIEM for you then ☹️
I guess tip rolling won't help that much if the universal shell are not working well with your ear shape.

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #72,273 of 89,809
Maybe it's your time to get some CIEM? IIRC FF GM is available in custom no? Don't know about Anni though, but I've never seen a custom Anni.

:)

IMG_7971.jpeg

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #72,275 of 89,809
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #72,276 of 89,809
Received the Nightjar Blue Hour 4W cable today. I wanted to share some *very* early impressions compared to Vanguard 4W:

BH is more contrasted and way more dynamic. It’s more transparent and resolving with some added staging.

There’s added sub-bass and the treble is livelier.

The jump in techs is pretty significant from Vanguard.

I think timbre leans a little brighter/colder to my ears compared to Vanguard’s lush, tube-like timbre. Vanguard leans warm though, so I’d consider BH neutral.

Technique: BH >> VG
Timbre: VG > BH (I prefer warmer timbres so take this with a grain of salt)

Tested on Singularity, Mentor, Crimson, U12t on 320MAX using Coreir brass, Omnis, and MS42 tips.

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8151.jpeg
    IMG_8151.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #72,277 of 89,809
Hifiman and ZMF happened to be two of my favorite as well. Another surprise is Caldera does not get too much love compared to other ZMF. The only two hours I spent this past SoCal CanJam, I found Caldera to be one of the best. I also found one of the older ZMF pretty good, but due to the rush I did not remember which one.
These reviewers don't like the one driver sounding like another driver type headphone. ZMF decided not to compete directly against other Planars. Instead, what they did was take their strength in Zach's taste in aesthetics and DD sound and brought the technical capabilities of planar technology to it. It's brilliant and poses cognitive dissonance to them. Not me. It's in my top 3.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #72,278 of 89,809
I am curious about the Aura - there aren’t many detailed impressions on it here, as compared to abundant commentary on newer TOTLs like the Fei Wan or Amber Pearl. Those who have Aura seem to really love it, though it doesn’t appear to have legions of fans.

A big question I have is about fit. Does Aura fit many ear types, is it comfortable? Or is it more like its sibling the EXT, which is uncomfortable for many?

I’m making more decisions based on fit lately - for example I will be letting go of Grand Maestro and Anni 23 due to how chonky and relatively uncomfortable they are for my (awkwardly shaped) ear canals.

The fit with the Aura is one of the best I've experienced. These days fit is just as important to me as the sound. I find I just don't end up listening to an IEM that much if the fit isn't good, regardless of how good it sounds.

Speaking of Aura, I'm all set to hit the road with it next week, but it sure does look lonely in that case:

IMG_6696.jpeg

I'm considering either an XE6 or Trifecta to keep the Aura company in '24. Suggestions welcome.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #72,279 of 89,809
The fit with the Aura is one of the best I've experienced. These days fit is just as important to me as the sound. I find I just don't end up listening to an IEM that much if the fit isn't good, regardless of how good it sounds.

Speaking of Aura, I'm all set to hit the road with it next week, but it sure does look lonely in that case:

IMG_6696.jpeg

I'm considering either an XE6 or Trifecta to keep the Aura company in '24. Suggestions welcome.
A man thinks you should bring them all! 🙂

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #72,280 of 89,809
Summarized Impressions of NGaudio Erebus
Full review available here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ngaudio-erebus.26876/reviews

NGaudio Erebus
Introduction: Since there is still little known about NGaudio here in the West, I’ll start by giving a quick summary of the brand’s history. NGaudio is a custom IEM manufacturer based in Shenzhen, China. Since 2015, founder Wu Chenlong and his team have been hard at work developing award winning headphones in their pursuit of the perfect sound. From what I have read, NGaudio’s core team is comprised of 5 individuals. In a geographic location packed full of Chi-Fi mega manufacturers, I was pleasantly surprised to see a ‘boutique’ brand holding their own. If you’re not familiar with ‘chi-fi’, just know this. If your technology can be replicated, cheaper versions will emerge. Bottom line, it is reasonable to assume that NGaudio isn’t just pushing out some recycled, run-of-the-mill tech. There is some serious magic under the hood, and I can attest. After purchasing the ‘Khoas’ a few months back and absolutely falling in love, I had to see what else NG had to offer.

Introducing, the
Erebus
Cover.jpg

Build Quality (5/5)

Starting with the overall aesthetics, the Erebus shells are one of a kind. The faceplates feature a three-dimensional injection of a white, silver and purple resin, finished with the brand's standard gold print text. The housing of the IEM is black, with an NG signature at the rear. Each shell is vented and equipped with a non-recessed 2-pin. The nozzle is on the larger side with 4 open ports. The overall feel is smooth with no raised or apparent edges and overall construction is rock solid.

Fit (5/5)
I would classify the overall size of the Erebus as large but well designed. Its nozzle depth allows for a comfortable, well-supported fit, just close enough to the outer ear to not look ridiculous. I did have to tip roll to find that perfect synergy between comfort and sound but once my selection was made, I had no issues wearing for hours.

Cable Quality (3/5)
Similar to the cable provided with the Khoas, I’m not blown away. Aesthetically, I would have preferred a silver cable, but I do appreciate the addition of branding and the overall ergonomics. I couldn’t find too much information on the stock cable beyond it being OFC. I do agree with the pairing of an all-copper cable from my personal testing as well. From a performance perspective, the cable provided is a good match.
E_Close.jpg

Sound
Personal Taste: Bass. I need to feel my music. There needs to be a distinct separation and accurate layering of instruments. I need to hear that bass guitar! This is the sonic link between the rhythmic and melodic elements in music. Vocals are generally less important to me but need to sound natural. Treble should be well extended with an emphasis on presence, air, and overall detail retrieval. I find myself somewhat sensitive in this region and absolutely despise shouty, sibilant IEM’s.
I listened to a wide range of music while developing my assessment. Before putting anything down on paper, I spent over 50 hours casually and critically listening from various sources. I found the NGaudio Erebus to be extremely well balanced, tonally accurate, with a modest boost to the bass and treble region.
Album.png

Bass: The Erebus delivers a seriously satisfying low-end experience. The low end is thunderous, well-controlled and complimentary to all musical aspects. It’s almost like the Erebus knows what you need and when you need it. If I’m playing a more bass focused track, the bass comes through with just the right amount of rumble and weight at all volume levels. When listening to a more balanced composition, the low end adds just the right amount of texture to notes without bleeding into the mid-range or affecting the overall sound stage. In my opinion, this is where a lot of bass boosted IEM’s fail. I’ll use an exaggerated example to help explain my non-scientific assumption.

First, it’s important to remember that different drivers are responsible for different frequencies (minus single DD sets). Let’s assume IEM (X) has a wide sound stage and the ability to accurately place symbol strikes (High frequency fundamental tone) to the far left and far right BUT the low harmonic frequencies (undertones) of each strike are perceived more center stage. So, when all tones are presented simultaneously, the sound stage width and/or height is perceived closer to center stage.

Midrange: I wouldn’t consider the mid-tonality of the Erebus to be warm or cold. To me, the mids sound neutral with great instrumental timbre and speed. The lower-mid presentation is accurate and uncolored. The upper mids are slightly elevated, providing clear instrumental separation and a forward vocal presentation. What I love most about this IEM is its ability to maintain such a neutral tonality without sacrificing texture or a level of excitement.

Treble: The treble region is almost a perfect representation of my preference. Accurate, airy, well extended with a conservative dash of sparkle. At no point did I find the Erebus overly sharp or sibilant. If you prefer an abundance of sparkle and emphasis to the upper treble region you might find this tuning a bit ‘boring’.

Technicalities: The Erebus has surgical imaging capabilities and one of the widest sound stages I’ve ever experienced. Resolution is top tier, as it should be at this price. I’d love to critique here but I’m struggling. For such a ‘neutral’ leaning sound signature, it’s impressive how technical this IEM really is.

Comparisons
For my comparisons, I selected several other V-shaped flagships and a member of the NGaudio family (Empire Ears Raven/ FatFreq Grand Maestro/ NGaudio Khoas). Comparisons were conducted while listening to the same song(s) - Volume matched on the same source chain.
E_GM.jpg
E_R.jpg
E_K.jpg

NGaudio Erebus (SF CP500 Eartips/ PWA Purple Charm V2 Cable) Vs. FF Grand Maestro (SF W1 Eartips/ Liquid Links Evua II Cable)
Prelim: In my humble opinion, the FF GM is one of the most versatile IEM’s on the market. The GM’s V-shaped signature is more pronounced when compared to the Erebus.
Fit: For me, the biggest con of the Grand Maestro is its size and shape. The shell sizes of these two IEM’s are actually quite similar but the GM’s nozzle is longer and extends perfectly straight off the shell. The Erebus’s nozzle is probably 1/4” shorter and angles slightly upward, seating more naturally in the ear canal.
Sound: The soundstage of the GM has less width and height. Detail retrieval is slightly fainter with the GM but this accentuates its soundstage depth. GM’s sub bass is definitely more prominent. Both have a deep, rich rumble. Mid’s come off thicker/ warmer on the GM while notes on the Erebus have more weight. Both have a similar vocal presentation. Slightly forward but well placed within the overall mix. GM’s treble emphasis results in more sparkle but its clarity is definitely impacted by its boosted low end.
Conclusion: The GM is more energetic and targets a more traditional V-shaped signature. The Erebus has a more natural balance across all frequencies but still gives you a satisfying dose of bass. I was not a fan of either sets stock cable. To fully experience what each set has to offer, I would highly suggest an aftermarket cable.

NGaudio Erebus (SF CP500 Eartips/ PWA Purple Charm V2 Cable) Vs. EE Raven (FA Type E Eartips/ PWA R7 Cable)
Prelim: Similar to the Grand Maestro, the Raven has a more pronounced V-Shape tuning but also features some unique tuning characteristics. Where EE has a more established ‘house sound’, the Erebus aims for realism. I should note that the Raven is almost brand new, with only a few hours of burn in.
Fit: The EE Raven is the largest IEM I have ever handled. This thing is a beast. When doing a side by side comparison, both share a similar shell width and nozzle length. The nozzle of the Raven extends slightly forward and up, less pronounced compared to the Erebus. Both fit very good given their size. One last thing worth mentioning is the presence of driver flex with the Raven. I freaking hate it.
Sound: Both sets have a very impressive soundstage. The Erebus has better instrumental separation and stereo imaging but this could due to the lack of burn in. My previous set of Ravens had roughly 20 hours on them and I do remember being extremely impressed. The Raven’s low end quantity falls somewhere between the GM and Erebus. From a personal preference perspective, the Raven’s hit the spot. The Ravens mid range is thicker and produces a slightly abnormal timbre with some instruments. This is likely due to the Ravens 400Hz spike. The Ravens treble is the spiciest of the bunch but wow does it sound fantastic. I wouldn’t consider either set to be sharp or fatiguing.
Conclusion: The sound signature of the Raven is fun, energetic and extremely engaging with a less natural tonality. The sound signature of the Erebus is more polite, balanced and organic sounding. If I wanted to rock out, I’m reaching for my Raven’s. If I want a more natural, uncolored representation of my library, I’m grabbing the Erebus.

NGaudio Erebus (SF CP500 Eartips/ PWA Purple Charm V2 Cable) Vs. NGaudio Khoas (SF W1 Eartips/ PWA Attila Shielding Cable)
Prelim: The Khoas was the previous flagship offering by NGaudio prior to the Erebus’s release. If you have followed any of my recent reviews, you know that I find the Khoas extremely impressive. For context, the Khoas features a more W-shaped sound signature.
Fit: The Khoas is slightly smaller when comparing the two IEM’s side by side but both share an almost identical shape and nozzle. Both are very comfortable.
Sound: The soundstage of the Khoas is more intimate. Instruments sound closer, giving the stage of the Erebus more depth but I don’t notice any loss of width or height. Both sets grant you TOTL resolution. The low end of the Erebus is slightly more pronounced while the mid range comes off a bit thinner and more neutral sounding. The Khoas has a bit more energy and thickness to its mid range. Both have excellent instrumental and vocal timbre. The treble of the Khoas is a bit more exciting but both sets are well extended.
Conclusion: This really just bakes down to preference. The only real differentiator, which applies to every set I’ve compared to the Erebus, is note texture. The Erebus just does a wonderful job at representing every detail, every nuance, every note as if it’s just as important as the others. If I was listening to an album that required a more energetic signature, then I’d grab the Khoas. Otherwise, I’m happy with either.

Summary
At the end of the day, the Erebus is a luxury item most folks can’t or are unwilling to buy. It’s price tag is eye watering... But if you want to hear, what I consider, the most realistic, uncolored presentation of your music, this is it. Some will find it boring, I have zero doubts. I think this IEM best suites classical/ Jazz/ Rock/ Metal but can still be enjoyed playing back almost any genre of music. Personally, I can’t wait to hear what comes next in NGaudio’s pursuit of the ‘perfect’ sound.

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #72,281 of 89,809
What is different about the fit?
Because of the shape as @tjzurlaaa pointed out, it felt smaller than the UM MM to me in terms of how it sits within your ear.

SQ wise, I find the low end bass to be adequate for me but no where near the raven (never tried the fei wan). However, the quality of the bass is much higher than anything i've heard. I think the thing that captured me the most about it is how it pulls you into the music with it. I feel as if I am at the front of the stage or in the stage with the artist, where as the UM AP and SupV3 that I have feels like I am in the concert hall.

I'll hit you up on PM

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #72,282 of 89,809
I have to go through entire video since from the three lists (not yet went finished, I just jump from brands to brands), it is hard to tell which is which by the pictures.
Also shocked by their assessment of Meze elite, C tier? I personally never heard of it.
However, I am glad that my Atrium is well received.
Yeah, those guys tend to have somewhat rigid views on how headphones ought to be tuned, and the sound of the Empyrean and Elite do not fit that vision. I really do love the Elites. Their instrumental timbre is unlike anything else I've heard. I like its timbre better than even the Traillii because its got some more thickness to the sound. Jazz has literally never sounded better. But I'm not really shocked anymore when I see someone rate lowly a headphone I enjoy. It's just how things go in this hobby.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #72,283 of 89,809
Yeah, those guys tend to have somewhat rigid views on how headphones ought to be tuned, and the sound of the Empyrean and Elite do not fit that vision. I really do love the Elites. Their instrumental timbre is unlike anything else I've heard. I like it better than the timbre because its got some more thickness to the sound. Jazz has literally never sounded better. But I'm not really shocked anymore when I see someone rate lowly a headphone I enjoy. It's just how things go in this hobby.
Most of the review on Elite and Empy says like that too. For the same price you can get more detail and performance from the other brands, but I think I can love Elite too or maybe even their Empy OG. I'll have the opportunity to try both next week and I'll compare it to Caldera 😁

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #72,284 of 89,809
While I was at it, I revisited one of my favorite set, the Melodic Artification Eclipse. This set must be one of the best bang for the bucks in the high end segment! Dual DD superbly tuned, with remarkable SQ from bass to treble, great soundstage, full titanium build and exclusive liquid link cable for less than $1500. Not too shabby!
I’m definitely tempted to get one at some point, just bought too many stuff lately so I should slow down a bit… for now… :D

IMG_3924.jpeg

This is an IEM that has come and gone from my radar a few times in the past year but I've never gotten around to hearing one. What would you say is the standout feature of its tuning? Seductive mids? Great bass/timbre? Or is it one of those generally inoffensive tunings that just does everything really well? I'm always down for a good/new DD experience and this is one that I've heard great things about but that has passed me by. I don't even thing Musicteck carries it anymore.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #72,285 of 89,809
I've been really enjoying my new Cascara this weekend-- it's a hell of an IEM and imho one of the best single DDs on the market right now at any price and I would say the best single DD that CFA has produced. However I wanted to take a minute to recognize what might be my favorite IEM at this moment in time-- the Dita Perpetua.

C84DF297-318A-4525-8FFB-7561991BDB91.JPEG

I'm someone who, under good conditions, generally knows fairly readily if I'm going to love an IEM or not. The Perpetua is an example of an IEM that didn't really bowl me over at first but that has been steadily growing on me at an alarming rate this past week-- helped along amazingly by the stellar synergy with the Hiby RS8. This IEM just does everything right for me-- great meaty bass that rumbles to the stygian depths, nice thump, prominent seductive mids with some of the best timbre out there, prominent vocals, deep stage. I want to say a thank-you to Watercooler luminaries @Sajid Amit and @jwilliamhurst (and some others) for turning me on to this IEM that otherwise I might have passed over or never gotten to hear. As someone whose tastes and inclinations often run afoul of the status quo I'm grateful to be a part of this large community which spans a massive variety of tastes and ideals. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back