The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #72,256 of 91,345
Watching this video now. I like these reviewers. Find them pretty good. Might be a better headphone tier list than Crin's.

I have to go through entire video since from the three lists (not yet went finished, I just jump from brands to brands), it is hard to tell which is which by the pictures.
Also shocked by their assessment of Meze elite, C tier? I personally never heard of it.
However, I am glad that my Atrium is well received.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #72,257 of 91,345
Nice busy Sunday with these candies 😋
IMG_9633.jpeg

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #72,258 of 91,345
I am curious about the Aura - there aren’t many detailed impressions on it here, as compared to abundant commentary on newer TOTLs like the Fei Wan or Amber Pearl. Those who have Aura seem to really love it, though it doesn’t appear to have legions of fans.

A big question I have is about fit. Does Aura fit many ear types, is it comfortable? Or is it more like its sibling the EXT, which is uncomfortable for many?

I’m making more decisions based on fit lately - for example I will be letting go of Grand Maestro and Anni 23 due to how chonky and relatively uncomfortable they are for my (awkwardly shaped) ear canals.
I like EXT a lot, I feel that even in the plethora of competent iems in today’s landscape, EXT can hold its own. Aura to me a better IEM compared to EXT in terms of fit and technicalities. But I see you have already bought Fei Wan which is an IEM I think highly of :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #72,260 of 91,345
I have to go through entire video since from the three lists (not yet went finished, I just jump from brands to brands), it is hard to tell which is which by the pictures.
Also shocked by their assessment of Meze elite, C tier? I personally never heard of it.
However, I am glad that my Atrium is well received.
Yeah, I like the tonality of the Elite, but I find it technically weak and butt ugly on my head. No love at all for DCA and I resonate with that view. Same with Audeze. Hifiman and ZMF got a lot of love. Same with Warwick. Sennheiser all over the place, but lots of love for HD600/650, HD800S and of course HE1. I would say that I am more in line with these reviewers than not in line.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #72,262 of 91,345
Watching this video now. I like these reviewers. Find them pretty good. Might be a better headphone tier list than Crin's.

These 3 are 3 of the best reviewers for sure of headphones, IEM’s, and head amps and DAC’s.

Goldensound is great for his technical chops and pretty centerline delivery and a true gem in the hobby for showing the truth behind the bull:poop: that is MQA. He belongs in the hall of fame for that alone.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #72,263 of 91,345
If those aren't the same as the sedna, try those. I really liked that pairing.
There is also the SednaEarfitlight Shorts that I prefer over the SednaEarfit shorts. The XELASTEC were bright for me .

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #72,264 of 91,345
Sorry mistakenly put out personal email here;;
IMG_4203.jpeg

Enjoying Meze Empyrean these days- got open box bf deal ;;

IMG_4192.jpeg

People say get Elite but Elite too expensive for me 😂
Some say Empyrean with angled Alcantara + Meze silver cable closes gap between Elite… So far, very happy with Emoyrean+ Angled alcantara. Did not like some ‘dirty’ feel from leather pad. Alcantara angled hype was real!! Higher resolution, tighter bass, better high-mid and treble!

Set-up: Metrum Amethyst(dac3) - Violectric V200. Empyrean with stock ofc 6.35mm cable(Awaiting Meze SPC cable)

Attachments

• IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4194.jpeg
    IMG_4194.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #72,265 of 91,345
Yeah, I like the tonality of the Elite, but I find it technically weak and butt ugly on my head. No love at all for DCA and I resonate with that view. Same with Audeze. Hifiman and ZMF got a lot of love. Same with Warwick. Sennheiser all over the place, but lots of love for HD600/650, HD800S and of course HE1. I would say that I am more in line with these reviewers than not in line.
Hifiman and ZMF happened to be two of my favorite as well. Another surprise is Caldera does not get too much love compared to other ZMF. The only two hours I spent this past SoCal CanJam, I found Caldera to be one of the best. I also found one of the older ZMF pretty good, but due to the rush I did not remember which one.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #72,266 of 91,345
Sorry mistakenly put out personal email here;;
IMG_4203.jpeg
Enjoying Meze Empyrean these days- got open box bf deal ;;

IMG_4192.jpeg
People say get Elite but Elite too expensive for me 😂
Some say Empyrean with angled Alcantara + Meze silver cable closes gap between Elite… So far, very happy with Emoyrean+ Angled alcantara. Did not like some ‘dirty’ feel from leather pad. Alcantara angled hype was real!! Higher resolution, tighter bass, better high-mid and treble!

Set-up: Metrum Amethyst(dac3) - Violectric V200. Empyrean with stock ofc 6.35mm cable(Awaiting Meze SPC cable)
Well, according to the headphone show video above, Empyrean II is the better one compared to Elite. Maybe Elite needs EQ to be good.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #72,268 of 91,345
Well, according to the headphone show video above, Empyrean II is the better one compared to Elite. Maybe Elite needs EQ to be good.
No money for newer gears ☺️👌

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #72,269 of 91,345
The consensus amongst all of the YouTube reviews I’ve watched the Empyrean II is the best Meze yet and it appears it’s not close. @Currawong does a great review (great meaning comprehensive and concise both) on the new DCA E3 closed back headphones. Worth a watch/listen if you haven’t.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #72,270 of 91,345
Grand Maestro, like the MSE, needs to have a deep fit to get the best seal and sub bass effect. But the nozzle is so wide and long that I can’t torque the monitors in my ear without discomfort after a few minutes. It’s a bummer because it sounds great.

Anni 23 is a similar problem for me. It doesn’t have quite the extreme nozzle as GM but Anni has a very boxy shape that isn’t comfortable due to the torque needed to get the right seal and then it doesn’t stay in place easily. Again it’s a bummer since I love the SQ. But with my limited ear time I’m using fit as a decider.

@Deezel177 thanks to impressions like yours of FW, I wound up blind buying it and I absolutely love it, it has a thrilling sound all around. FW also has a perfect shape for my ears and a physical smoothness where I can listen to it for hours with zero discomfort.

Aura seems to be divisive for its SQ, maybe not unlike Trifecta.
Maybe it's your time to get some CIEM? IIRC FF GM is available in custom no? Don't know about Anni though, but I've never seen a custom Anni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back