The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #72,241 of 91,349
Dear Coolers,

I want to thank you all for the very valuable and informative contributions in the Watercooler!
All the information helped me a lot to go right with a lot of blind buys (my ninja way 🥷).
Jeff @Rockwell75 you created a great community here! Thank you!

My last buy was the Trifecta Midnight Sky, the A&K SR35, and the A&K x CFA Pathfinder. While still waiting for the Pathfinder, Trifecta and SR35 arrived. Trifecta is my first TOTL IEM, yeah :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

IMG_20231130_122607_1-02.jpeg

I've chosen the SR35 as I will daily travel to work starting next year, so portable gear is needed here :relaxed: As I already liked my SR25 MK2 with it's CS DAC a lot, I pulled the trigger for the SR35 with the CS Quad-DAC. The first listening was very good and I like the SR35 much, especially with it's brown leather case. So DAP set to start daily traveling next year :relaxed:

IMG_20231201_121727-02.jpeg

I wasn't sure about the Trifecta - but gave it a try. And what should I say???

I'm in (bass-driven) audio heaven !!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: So great !

IMG_20231130_141748-02.jpeg

Yes, the Trifecta still needs some burn in, but it is right up my alley. It's moving so much air, has a wide stage and really sounds life like back in the 90s on concerts with big speakers :L3000::L3000::L3000: Sure, not every track works with it, but this I will find out.

Now for me remains the question of which IEM should I take for daily traveling next year. I think I will start with the IE600 and the A5000 which are now my daily drivers.
Looking on the comments to Bonneville and Cascara I'm still interested in both, but have to wait until it's available at my favorite dealer (currently only Ponderosa and Supermoon are available). And I'm still thinking about the Black Star, which is already available.

So what do you coolers think about the Black Star (I guess FOMO is runnig for that special edition) - in comparison to Trifecta and Bonneville? Would it be a good daily driver for me - as I also like the balanced nature of the A5000? Or should I wait for Bonneville or Cascara?
Yes, it definitely does. In fact, more than any other IEM I have owned. It was really all over the place when I first got mine. After burn in, it really cleaned up.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #72,242 of 91,349
The US wouldn't even allow my dead body because of some concerning Axis Of Evil stamps in my passport (although I have started thinking about which countries really ARE on said axis - so far I've found only 2).

How 'bout you set up a Free Hawaii movement and become independent??? That would be my best chance to meet up again.

drftr
Easy solution. Get a new passport.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #72,243 of 91,349
Easy solution. Get a new passport.
LOL. They have e-ve-ry-thing in their system. I tried that trick before, they left me for a few minutes, and then returned with a whole list of countries I had also visited. But let's just keep thinking Big Brother lives in China 🤐

drftr

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #72,244 of 91,349
I am curious about the Aura - there aren’t many detailed impressions on it here, as compared to abundant commentary on newer TOTLs like the Fei Wan or Amber Pearl. Those who have Aura seem to really love it, though it doesn’t appear to have legions of fans.

A big question I have is about fit. Does Aura fit many ear types, is it comfortable? Or is it more like its sibling the EXT, which is uncomfortable for many?

I’m making more decisions based on fit lately - for example I will be letting go of Grand Maestro and Anni 23 due to how chonky and relatively uncomfortable they are for my (awkwardly shaped) ear canals.
Aura is my favorite Iem for sound and comfort it is very light seemless it’s a different type of fit but I love it

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #72,245 of 91,349
I am curious about the Aura - there aren’t many detailed impressions on it here, as compared to abundant commentary on newer TOTLs like the Fei Wan or Amber Pearl. Those who have Aura seem to really love it, though it doesn’t appear to have legions of fans.

A big question I have is about fit. Does Aura fit many ear types, is it comfortable? Or is it more like its sibling the EXT, which is uncomfortable for many?

I’m making more decisions based on fit lately - for example I will be letting go of Grand Maestro and Anni 23 due to how chonky and relatively uncomfortable they are for my (awkwardly shaped) ear canals.
The Aura was comfortable for me, but so were the GM and Anni 23, so I don't know how much that helps your case. :D Which areas do you find uncomfortable on those 2 IEMs? I posted my impressions of the Aura some time ago, but it essentially has a clean, neutral sound with added resonance/oomph in the midrange. My only qualms with it were its smaller stage (as is often the case with VE IEMs), as well as its weaker low-end. I thought it had a pillowy bass that could've used some more sub-bass quantity. That said, I auditioned it right after the Fei Wan, which happens to excel in imaging and low-end performance, so those flaws might've been exacerbated by those circumstances.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #72,248 of 91,349
The Aura was comfortable for me, but so were the GM and Anni 23, so I don't know how much that helps your case. :D Which areas do you find uncomfortable on those 2 IEMs? I posted my impressions of the Aura some time ago, but it essentially has a clean, neutral sound with added resonance/oomph in the midrange. My only qualms with it were its smaller stage (as is often the case with VE IEMs), as well as its weaker low-end. I thought it had a pillowy bass that could've used some more sub-bass quantity. That said, I auditioned it right after the Fei Wan, which happens to excel in imaging and low-end performance, so those flaws might've been exacerbated by those circumstances.
Grand Maestro, like the MSE, needs to have a deep fit to get the best seal and sub bass effect. But the nozzle is so wide and long that I can’t torque the monitors in my ear without discomfort after a few minutes. It’s a bummer because it sounds great.

Anni 23 is a similar problem for me. It doesn’t have quite the extreme nozzle as GM but Anni has a very boxy shape that isn’t comfortable due to the torque needed to get the right seal and then it doesn’t stay in place easily. Again it’s a bummer since I love the SQ. But with my limited ear time I’m using fit as a decider.

@Deezel177 thanks to impressions like yours of FW, I wound up blind buying it and I absolutely love it, it has a thrilling sound all around. FW also has a perfect shape for my ears and a physical smoothness where I can listen to it for hours with zero discomfort.

Aura seems to be divisive for its SQ, maybe not unlike Trifecta.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #72,249 of 91,349
What is different about the fit?
It’s not your typical resin shell that tries to form to your ear it’s a very smooth oval and when you get the right angle it just relaxes in your ear very seamlessly hard to explain… 😅

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #72,250 of 91,349
LOL. They have e-ve-ry-thing in their system. I tried that trick before, they left me for a few minutes, and then returned with a whole list of countries I had also visited. But let's just keep thinking Big Brother lives in China 🤐

drftr
They simply did not allow your entry, or just asked excessive amount of questions before letting you in?

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #72,252 of 91,349
At the time? The last. But nowadays I can't even apply for the ESTA permit.

drftr
Too bad, did you grow a beard by that time :)?

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #72,254 of 91,349
Watching this video now. I like these reviewers. Find them pretty good. Might be a better headphone tier list than Crin's.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #72,255 of 91,349
Grand Maestro, like the MSE, needs to have a deep fit to get the best seal and sub bass effect. But the nozzle is so wide and long that I can’t torque the monitors in my ear without discomfort after a few minutes. It’s a bummer because it sounds great.

Anni 23 is a similar problem for me. It doesn’t have quite the extreme nozzle as GM but Anni has a very boxy shape that isn’t comfortable due to the torque needed to get the right seal and then it doesn’t stay in place easily. Again it’s a bummer since I love the SQ. But with my limited ear time I’m using fit as a decider.

@Deezel177 thanks to impressions like yours of FW, I wound up blind buying it and I absolutely love it, it has a thrilling sound all around. FW also has a perfect shape for my ears and a physical smoothness where I can listen to it for hours with zero discomfort.

Aura seems to be divisive for its SQ, maybe not unlike Trifecta.
Ahh, I see. I had that nozzle-depth issue with the MSE. They were canal probes. :D ‘Glad to hear you’re enjoying the FW! I got to hear them again at an audio show yesterday, and they were just as superb as I remember. I also heard a few more noteworthy items there, so look out for that show report soon. :wink: I wouldn’t say the Aura is as divisive as the Trifecta. I think a combo of its rarity and its price just make it a tough in-ear to (1) demo and (2) place in the current high-end landscape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back