The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #68,986 of 89,324
Yes, it is displayed that way for me as well. Also on the PC. Nevertheless, the playback is on 16bit. I have recognized that because the LED of the SP3000 remains red instead of green. Also, I could compare same tracks on Tidal, Apple Music and Qobuz and only Tidal was not the same audio quality.

Cayin released a firmware update v1.2 to enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.

Playback decoding displays correctly in DAP display and LED indicator:
  • Beethoven 24/192kHz FLAC example = Cayin Blue 176.4kHz to 192kHz
    • 24/192kHz High-Res Lossless ALAC on Apple Music
  • Max Richter 24/96kHz MQA example = Cayin Green 88.2kHz to 96kHz
    • 24/48kHz ALAC Lossless on Apple Music
  • BADBADNOTGOOD 16/44kHz FLAC example = Cayin Yellow 44.1kHz to 48kHZ
    • 24b/48kHz Lossless ALAC on Apple Music
I did some more research on the internet earlier and it does seem to be a general problem that Tidal continues to play 16bit on FLAC Hi-Res.

If you have the chance, compare this track also on Qobuz/Apple Music and see if the audio quality is really the same.

I don't sub to Qobuz but audio quality playback on AM and Tidal were similar in both apps.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #68,987 of 89,324
Cayin released a firmware update v1.2 to enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.

Playback decoding displays correctly in DAP display and LED indicator:
  • Beethoven 24/192kHz FLAC example = Cayin Blue 176.4kHz to 192kHz
    • 24/192kHz High-Res Lossless ALAC on Apple Music
  • Max Richter 24/96kHz MQA example = Cayin Green 88.2kHz to 96kHz
    • 24/48kHz ALAC Lossless on Apple Music
  • BADBADNOTGOOD 16/44kHz FLAC example = Cayin Yellow 44.1kHz to 48kHZ
    • 24b/48kHz Lossless ALAC on Apple Music

I don't sub to Qobuz but audio quality playback on AM and Tidal were similar in both apps.
Great, then it must have something to do with the firmware. Hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #68,988 of 89,324

In other news Vlad just confirmed he’ll be sending an E12 for tour. Good times.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #68,990 of 89,324
Yes and I just canceled my order. I’m remembering how much of a pain it was to tether my phone for streaming and how I always used my previous P6pro with Bluetooth. So basically a $5000 dongle for me. I got ahead of myself as I miss the sound and the limited edition and titanium aspect pushed me over the edge…🤭
I came back down to earth today 😇
Haha same here, I was ready to pull the trigger as soon as I learned that Musicteck had a few units left but than remembered this :

FOMO ...

Will wait for P7 Pro

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #68,992 of 89,324
Any information on the new Dita Project M?
That's from their Facebook page.

1698705501270.png

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #68,993 of 89,324
All my CIEMs are based on impressions I've done myself, I've never had them done professionally by an audiologist or manufacturer. Admittedly my first CIEM wasn't a great fit, but I've learned since then. It stemmed from my not wanting to shell out $150 to have them done by an audiologist; at the time it seemed like a lot of money for something I could easily do myself, I was so naive. All of my CIEMs since then are from STL files based on impressions I made for my 4th set of customs almost 4 years ago. My best fitting CIEMs are my 64 Audio A12 (non-tia), my third set. Unfortunately, 64 doesn't share digital files as they consider them somewhat proprietary, but my Perfect Seal AR6 which I got after that are what all my customs since then are based on as Mike over at PS was nice enough to send me the STL files. I will say that even though all my CIEMs since then have been based on those same STL files, they have varying levels of fit as each manufacturer does have differing methods/preferences/specifications so that is something to keep in mind as well.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #68,994 of 89,324
Hi! I decided to post here as I haven't found a dedicated Audio Video Show 2023 thread, so here goes what I've heard! :) DAP used was mostly the Cayin N7 in mid gain, Amazon Music. Keep in mind I was there to experience and like stuff, not to be as objective as possible :)

20231028_110226.JPG

The Craft Ears Omnium - show prerelease. 1 DD, 1 planar for mids and BAs for highs and beyond. If I understood correctly, the supertweeters are Knowles' RAU ones. 2449 Euro MSRP. Compared to Aurum, former flagship: noticeable bump in bass texture, more natural mids that spread really far left and right; less sharp highs with better detail. And since it's BA, it does not need a pocket fusion reactor to power. Three types of metal too choose from for the faceplate: gold, silver and rose gold.

20231028_112055.JPG

Noble Ronin
Mids were the standout here, with lots grit in the vocals and guitars. Detailed highs however due to limited stage depth they often got lost among other sounds. Not a fan of the bass though, a bit on the warm side. I'm team KK for this duel.

20231028_113008.JPG

Noble Spartacus
Great mids with tons of bite, bass does not get in the way. A bit splashy highs. Overall a good all rounder. Fantastic shape, possibly great for sleeping on the side. The faceplate can be see through depending on the pattern, pretty cool. The stock cable is also a great upgrade compared to the KK, ergonomics-wise. Love the straight changeable plugs (Dunu's angled plugs disconnect too damn often while in pocket to bother) and while the weight increased, it's as comfy as stock KK cable. Bought one for my Kublai's :)

20231028_120716.JPG

Campfire Audio Bonneville
While the Andromeda didn't have bass, these are too warm and not as black as the Andro so it's a pass for me :frowning2: They are comfy though.

20231028_144516.JPG

Softears Enigma Prototype - warm V shape, not my cup of tea. Shells are subject to change (perhaps the tuning will undergo some refinement as well?) as it's not as ballsy as the Musicteck placeholder.

20231028_145810.JPG

Aroma Audio Fei Wan (+ EA Centurion because the exhibitor figured why not) - Great clarity, superb female vocals, bass with great rumble but slightly lacking in texture. Comfy shells. Surprisingly easy to drive, 50 volume mid gain N7. Jewel has dryer bass, worse texture on male vocals. It's not as black backgrounded as the FW. FWs treble is also better detailed, but is on the edge of being sharp. Wifeproof faceplate design. These IEMs might be my favorite TOTL alongside the

20231028_160334.JPG

Please excuse the flash blast but I really wanted to awaken the faceplate, it's really stunning :)

20231028_151325.JPG

The Fusion1, even if out of focus, seemed quite ok in terms of ergonomics. Soundwise it was too off for my Xe6. Bass got neutered and dialed wayy down, while the mids went into overdrive of some kind. I tried the FT next, which sounded like a better quality stock Scorpion, so I passed on the idea altogether. I was pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics, though. Judging by the pictures, I thought the nylon cover would make the cables unwieldly. Eletech didn't ship on time to be shown at the show so I timeouted myself for approx 5 min since I felt morose I couldn't complain Eric forgot to put chin sliders on the Virtues series. And I really wanted to test drive the Raphael with my Xe6.

20231028_135332.JPG

Oh sHE-1 - mad props for the lady responsible for registering all the folks for an audition. So many people came to register but she really did her best to allow as many people as reasonably possible. The headphones themselves? Mids for days, this was the most natural "in your head" playing of my life. Insane dynamics, even though Tidal was not maxed out (due to the Internet being slow I'd guess?). Money for Nothing never had so many little quirks and tiny sounds everywhere as they did on the HE-1. A true statement piece, even if it's not the messiah I imagined it to be. Gotta book another session next year!

20231028_172133.JPG

iBasso quad korg balanced headphone amp prototype - guys this is legit! It added just the right amount of warmth to make the sound pleasantly analogue, and did wonders to soundstage width and especially depth. First I tested this with the Symponium Crimson (a rad IEM in it's own right), but then I was shocked when my U12t's also responded well to it. Great amp, wish I knew what the MSRP is going to be. Another note : even though it is roughly the same dimension as the N7, it weights almost nothing!

Additional eyecandy:

20231028_131314.JPG
20231028_163205.JPG
20231028_130910.JPG

Thanks for reading! I hope I'll make it to next years AVS.

Attachments

• 20231028_130907.JPG
    20231028_130907.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #68,995 of 89,324
Pretty much that exactly. With most of my issues being on the tragus and antitragus areas, though not always, really any part of the outer ear can cause discomfort for me with some pressure. Though that's not just limited to customs, it's universals too.

Aw, that's rough. So many manufacturers don't pay attention to fit in that region. Some even depend on their models being tucked into that pocket.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #68,996 of 89,324
Haha same here, I was ready to pull the trigger as soon as I learned that Musicteck had a few units left but than remembered this :

i

FOMO ...

Will wait for P7 Pro

No way:) Did you lose your money on the deposit? I admire your restraint. Look how beautiful this Titanium casing with Echizen Lacquered wood is with the 99 casing. Never mind the sound this is pure luxury. TBH, I had waited years from LP to bring out something good. I figured there is really nothing new worth buying which will come out on the DAP market for some time now hence have to pull the trigger. It would be another 5-8 years minimum for something from them. Let's see if it is worth it when we test it out but I understand what you mean it's all emotional and we don't have an bottomless pit of new toy funding:)

P6ProTi99.png

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #68,998 of 89,324
No way:) Did you lose your money on the deposit? I admire your restraint. Look how beautiful this Titanium casing with Echizen Lacquered wood is with the 99 casing. Never mind the sound this is pure luxury. TBH, I had waited years from LP to bring out something good. I figured there is really nothing new worth buying which will come out on the DAP market for some time now hence have to pull the trigger. It would be another 5-8 years minimum for something from them. Let's see if it is worth it when we test it out but I understand what you mean it's all emotional and we don't have an bottomless pit of new toy funding:)

It is a bit like when LP6 Ti 7AE first came out a few years back. There was a rumour that LP7's release was imminent... A few years on, we are still waiting... :)

But at the end of the day, if the functionality and UI does not suit you, then perhaps you can wait for the new OS that should be in the much delayed E7 and onwards.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #68,999 of 89,324
It is a bit like when LP6 Ti 7AE first came out a few years back. There was a rumour that LP7's release was imminent... A few years on, we are still waiting... :)
I am getting to understand the LP style now. Every time there is a camo casing with Echizen lacquered wood with a smaller limited number like 99 it's the final one of the line. When the LP6TI came out without the Echizen lacquered wood and was the plain untreated wood we had the feeling that there was still a final one to come. Saying this they might come out with a platinum casing one limited to 40 :wink:

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #69,000 of 89,324
Hi! I decided to post here as I haven't found a dedicated Audio Video Show 2023 thread, so here goes what I've heard! :) DAP used was mostly the Cayin N7 in mid gain, Amazon Music. Keep in mind I was there to experience and like stuff, not to be as objective as possible :)

20231028_110226.JPG

The Craft Ears Omnium - show prerelease. 1 DD, 1 planar for mids and BAs for highs and beyond. If I understood correctly, the supertweeters are Knowles' RAU ones. 2449 Euro MSRP. Compared to Aurum, former flagship: noticeable bump in bass texture, more natural mids that spread really far left and right; less sharp highs with better detail. And since it's BA, it does not need a pocket fusion reactor to power. Three types of metal too choose from for the faceplate: gold, silver and rose gold.

20231028_112055.JPG

Noble Ronin
Mids were the standout here, with lots grit in the vocals and guitars. Detailed highs however due to limited stage depth they often got lost among other sounds. Not a fan of the bass though, a bit on the warm side. I'm team KK for this duel.

20231028_113008.JPG

Noble Spartacus
Great mids with tons of bite, bass does not get in the way. A bit splashy highs. Overall a good all rounder. Fantastic shape, possibly great for sleeping on the side. The faceplate can be see through depending on the pattern, pretty cool. The stock cable is also a great upgrade compared to the KK, ergonomics-wise. Love the straight changeable plugs (Dunu's angled plugs disconnect too damn often while in pocket to bother) and while the weight increased, it's as comfy as stock KK cable. Bought one for my Kublai's :)

20231028_120716.JPG

Campfire Audio Bonneville
While the Andromeda didn't have bass, these are too warm and not as black as the Andro so it's a pass for me :frowning2: They are comfy though.

20231028_144516.JPG

Softears Enigma Prototype - warm V shape, not my cup of tea. Shells are subject to change (perhaps the tuning will undergo some refinement as well?) as it's not as ballsy as the Musicteck placeholder.

20231028_145810.JPG

Aroma Audio Fei Wan (+ EA Centurion because the exhibitor figured why not) - Great clarity, superb female vocals, bass with great rumble but slightly lacking in texture. Comfy shells. Surprisingly easy to drive, 50 volume mid gain N7. Jewel has dryer bass, worse texture on male vocals. It's not as black backgrounded as the FW. FWs treble is also better detailed, but is on the edge of being sharp. Wifeproof faceplate design. These IEMs might be my favorite TOTL alongside the

20231028_160334.JPG
Please excuse the flash blast but I really wanted to awaken the faceplate, it's really stunning :)

20231028_151325.JPG

The Fusion1, even if out of focus, seemed quite ok in terms of ergonomics. Soundwise it was too off for my Xe6. Bass got neutered and dialed wayy down, while the mids went into overdrive of some kind. I tried the FT next, which sounded like a better quality stock Scorpion, so I passed on the idea altogether. I was pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics, though. Judging by the pictures, I thought the nylon cover would make the cables unwieldly. Eletech didn't ship on time to be shown at the show so I timeouted myself for approx 5 min since I felt morose I couldn't complain Eric forgot to put chin sliders on the Virtues series. And I really wanted to test drive the Raphael with my Xe6.

20231028_135332.JPG

Oh sHE-1 - mad props for the lady responsible for registering all the folks for an audition. So many people came to register but she really did her best to allow as many people as reasonably possible. The headphones themselves? Mids for days, this was the most natural "in your head" playing of my life. Insane dynamics, even though Tidal was not maxed out (due to the Internet being slow I'd guess?). Money for Nothing never had so many little quirks and tiny sounds everywhere as they did on the HE-1. A true statement piece, even if it's not the messiah I imagined it to be. Gotta book another session next year!

20231028_172133.JPG

iBasso quad korg balanced headphone amp - guys this is legit! It added just the right amount of warmth to make the sound pleasantly analogue, and did wonders to soundstage width and especially depth. First I tested this with the Symponium Crimson (a rad IEM in it's own right), but then I was shocked when my U12t's also responded well to it. Great amp, wish I knew what the MSRP is going to be. Another note : even though it is roughly the same dimension as the N7, it weights almost nothing!

Additional eyecandy:

20231028_131314.JPG20231028_163205.JPG20231028_130910.JPG
Thanks for reading! I hope I'll make it to next years AVS.
Nice informative and succinct review. What is the blue IEM after FW? Glad to see another KK fan. I miss the sound so much I intend to order a Prestige KK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back