The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #68,956 of 90,229
For the vast majority of enthusiasts, custom IEMs are much like tailored suits, and sport many of same advantages/disadvantages. At the end of the day, are they strictly necessary for enjoyment? No. But for all who have become accustomed to them, their unique qualities are hard to live without.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #68,957 of 90,229
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #68,958 of 90,229
Getting moulds done is literally one of the most painful things for me 😭 it probably also adds up as to why I’m not a fan of universals. My poor ears feel like they’re about to burst 😂

IMG_7242.jpeg
There are more digital ear scan options coming up in the USofA. that might be more convenient and the same digital files would be valid for at least 3 years. With the added advantage of not needing to keep taking multiple ear impressions for different manufacturers.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #68,959 of 90,229
For the vast majority of enthusiasts, custom IEMs are much like tailored suits, and sport many of same advantages/disadvantages. At the end of the day, are they strictly necessary for enjoyment? No. But for all who have become accustomed to them, their unique qualities are hard to live without.
And then there are people like me who likely dont fall into that vast majority of enthusiasts... I dabbled once. Had to get impressions done 3, maybe 4 times before they were apparently good enough. Got my customs made, they fit well enough, but still cause me discomfort. So I have just found the price and hassle not worth it for me and I have no desire to try again for customs, even if I find something that I really love. I think my ears must just be too sensitive. Only small bullet style IEMs ever really seem to be comfortable for me over longer periods of time.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #68,960 of 90,229
There are more digital ear scan options coming up in the USofA. that might be more convenient and the same digital files would be valid for at least 3 years. With the added advantage of not needing to keep taking multiple ear impressions for different manufacturers.

A lot of audio companies won’t take ear scans yet. They either want physical moulds or scans of moulds.

And then there are people like me who likely dont fall into that vast majority of enthusiasts... I dabbled once. Had to get impressions done 3, maybe 4 times before they were apparently good enough. Got my customs made, they fit well enough, but still cause me discomfort. So I have just found the price and hassle not worth it for me and I have no desire to try again for customs, even if I find something that I really love. I think my ears must just be too sensitive. Only small bullet style IEMs ever really seem to be comfortable for me over longer periods of time.

That’s a shame, but if your audiologist is needing to take impressions that many times over that is a bit of a red flag 🚩

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #68,961 of 90,229
That’s a shame, but if your audiologist is needing to take impressions that many times over that is a bit of a red flag
Perhaps. Though it was less that they took them poorly, more just that JH apparently needed way more coverage than they were used to since I'm pretty sure their focus there was solely hearing aids. I think. Either way, it was an unpleasant and expensive experience that I cannot recoup much if any of the expense.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #68,962 of 90,229
I think digital scans of physical moulds would be the most convenient option. As @aaf evo said, adoption of 3D ear scans is still very limited. Most brands nowadays accept STL scans of your impressions. Even if they still make the CIEM traditionally (i.e. they don’t 3D-print the final shells), they can still print your STLs, then trim them and make a negative off of them like they would a standard silicone mould. I had my STLs made in 2018 or 2019, and I haven’t had to make or ship a single set of impressions ever since. They’ve been an absolute life saver.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #68,963 of 90,229
For some IEMs, custom is almost a must, such as FF MSE. I am seriously considering that option, the only concern is I am not sure if grand maestro is worth the additional $ as I have a slight preference toward grand maestro during my short demoing at CanJam SoCal.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #68,964 of 90,229
For some IEMs, custom is almost a must, such as FF MSE. I am seriously considering that option, the only concern is I am not sure if grand maestro is worth the additional $ as I have a slight preference toward grand maestro during my short demoing at CanJam SoCal.

As someone that has both, spend the extra and get the GM assuming you didn’t mind the extra treble. They’ll have a module coming out supposedly by the end of the year that’s aiming to bring MSE-like sub bass levels to it. The NOAH venting and tunable bass modules are worth the extra cost imo, then the vocal switch I suppose is a bonus 😉

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #68,965 of 90,229
As someone that has both, spend the extra and get the GM assuming you didn’t mind the extra treble. They’ll have a module coming out supposedly by the end of the year that’s aiming to bring MSE-like sub bass levels to it. The NOAH venting and tunable bass modules are worth the extra cost imo, then the vocal switch I suppose is a bonus 😉
You made my wallet really painful :).

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #68,966 of 90,229

Then in your case, your ideal (or optimal) scenario happens to be universals. So you're fortunate, in that there's no additional benefit to be had from going custom. Rejoice and be happy! :smiley:

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #68,968 of 90,229
Then in your case, your ideal (or optimal) scenario happens to be universals. So you're fortunate, in that there's no additional benefit to be had from going custom. Rejoice and be happy! :smiley:
Hah then yes I'll take that as a win. Except on the same token, I have many many fit issues with universals too. So I remain sad, especially because I think my latest purchase is going to have to go back based on fit alone.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #68,969 of 90,229
You made my wallet really painful :).

I’m just trying to help 🫣😏

Any good recommendations for Bone Conduction CIEMs? I've never considered the benefit of CIEMs as I've been fortunate with UIEMs. All the recent discussions on the topic piqued my interest.

I think only Unique Melody offers BCD CIEMs?

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #68,970 of 90,229
Ja, I could if I used APKPure but I prefer receiving updates from official Google Playstore.

v2.93.1 [Beta] rolled out on Oct 27 and just now showing up for me.
Already installed, it doesn't work well with the SP3000: FLAC files are not played in 24bit, but 16bit. Is it the same for you? It seems to be a bug of Tidal. MQA, on the other hand, is recognized correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back