The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #65,866 of 87,891
That is an amazing set of IEMs to own. Are you done?
I’m pretty happy with where I am right now. While there are things I’d certainly be intrigued to hear, I feel like I could be quite content with sticking with what I have right now for a good while.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #65,867 of 87,891
As someone who never really jelled with 64 Audio’s products… nor my past-owned U12T which surprised even myself — well. 2023 flipped that with 3 back-to-back hits for me with U18T, U4S and now these purple beauties.
IMG_2212.jpeg
IMG_2214.jpeg

A bit too bombastic out of the box, but a bit of brain burn-in and I can confidently say these are 64’s best iem to date.

Switched in M12 and it’s even more to my preference.

I find the price tag relative to market to be very decent value, as with U4S. Seems 64 pricing is becoming more competitive as time goes by as I used to find them very pricy relative to market in the past—shows how much things have changed since the pandemic life!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #65,869 of 87,891
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #65,871 of 87,891
I have that same pairing of Centurion and Trifecta. Really great match. I would love to hear it with DMP.
The DMPZ1 has some kind of magic with dynamic drivers. The Perpetua and Trifecta sound fabulous on it.

As do the Focal Utopia and HD800S (since you are also into headphones).

Not that planar or BA-based transducers don’t, but dynamic driver based ones just seem to synergize and scale endlessly on the DMPZ1. Whilst sounding so natural.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #65,872 of 87,891
I considered getting a Venom for my Anni 23.

It’s a difficult decision because Liquid Links doesn’t have interchangeable connectors and Annihilator uses Pentaconn connectors. A Venom purchase would mean I could only use it with the Annihilator.

That said, may I ask the differences you noticed going from the Martini to Venom?
Venom gives Anni a much bigger bass response. In fact, it sounds more like X.

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #65,873 of 87,891
Did some cable rolling today. Favorite new discovery is Sovereign Symphony with RN6. This cable does a really good job at giving RN6 slightly more warmth in the lower mids and bass to give the signature more of a sonorous sound. It sounds more like listening in a Jazz Club. Upright bass really fills the room. The RN6 has the most natural tuning of the Frontier Series line.

This is good because I really loved Brise Shirogane with Storm. Now I have a good reason to pick one up. Andrew will be pleased.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #65,874 of 87,891
Could you please elaborate on DIO prototype. Is it from Elysian Acoustics? This so the first I am hearing of it for some reason.
Yes. It is a prototype that Elysian Acoustic Labs first introduced at CanJam SG and subsequent shows in Asia. It is meant to be their next showcase piece likely to be available no sooner than 2024. Maybe 2025. Lee was not satisfied with the bass drivers on the market so he went out and designed a new one and went through at least 7 versions to get it right. It is going to be very expensive. Probably in the $6000-8000 range. For those of us who are fond of Lee's products and tuning prowess, we have all known his IEMs like X and Anni were limited by the bass drivers he was using. So, he bit the bullet to solve it himself. I believe there are 2 reasons why it hasn't yet been released. 1) Anni is very successful and is constantly on back order. No need to kill the sales of his current flagship product until demand is satisfied there. 2) It is hard to manufacture. He is working on the details for producing it in a way that he can deliver it with quality.

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #65,875 of 87,891
Did some cable rolling today. Favorite new discovery is Sovereign Symphony with RN6. This cable does a really good job at giving RN6 slightly more warmth in the lower mids and bass to give the signature more of a sonorous sound. It sounds more like listening in a Jazz Club. Upright bass really fills the room. The RN6 has the most natural tuning of the Frontier Series line.

This is good because I really loved Brise Shirogane with Storm. Now I have a good reason to pick one up. Andrew will be pleased.

Have not come across or hear of this Sovereign Symphony cable, can you please provide some details of it, information such as manufacturer, distributor, & composition would be most appreciated. Furthermore, what DAP are you pairing the Rn6 with?
TIA

Oct 6, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #65,876 of 87,891
As someone who never really jelled with 64 Audio’s products… nor my past-owned U12T which surprised even myself — well. 2023 flipped that with 3 back-to-back hits for me with U18T, U4S and now these purple beauties.

A bit too bombastic out of the box, but a bit of brain burn-in and I can confidently say these are 64’s best iem to date.

Switched in M12 and it’s even more to my preference.

I find the price tag relative to market to be very decent value, as with U4S. Seems 64 pricing is becoming more competitive as time goes by as I used to find them very pricy relative to market in the past—shows how much things have changed since the pandemic life!
Nice photography there! The Volür was enjoyable to demo. I'd definitely like to spend more time with a pair.

Oct 6, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #65,877 of 87,891
Have not come across or hear of this Sovereign Symphony cable, can you please provide some details of it, information such as manufacturer, distributor, & composition would be most appreciated. Furthermore, what DAP are you pairing the Rn6 with?
TIA
Sovereign Symphony is from NightJar in Singapore. It is one of the upgrade cable options for Storm. I am listening today with iBasso 320 Max Ti. I usually listen with RS8.

Oct 6, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #65,878 of 87,891
Yes. It is a prototype that Elysian Acoustic Labs first introduced at CanJam SG and subsequent shows in Asia. It is meant to be their next showcase piece likely to be available no sooner than 2024. Maybe 2025. Lee was not satisfied with the bass drivers on the market so he went out and designed a new one and went through at least 7 versions to get it right. It is going to be very expensive. Probably in the $6000-8000 range. For those of us who are fond of Lee's products and tuning prowess, we have all known his IEMs like X and Anni were limited by the bass drivers he was using. So, he bit the bullet to solve it himself. I believe there are 2 reasons why it hasn't yet been released. 1) Anni is very successful and is constantly on back order. No need to kill the sales of his current flagship product until demand is satisfied there. 2) It is hard to manufacture. He is working on the details for producing it in a way that he can deliver it with quality.
Maybe I'll be waiting for this one than to blind buy the Anni 23 🤔

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #65,879 of 87,891
They won't reveal the name nor driver configurations for now. As per my conversation with Stephen, they have some sort of contest where they ask people to guess the configuration. Maybe a 7th Acoustics ritual 🤣

This is something they have been doing before releasing an IEM. To be honest, I don't really care because these people are good at what they do and they are more than likely to deliver the tuning that they are seeking. Small shop, good audio.
Thank you

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #65,880 of 87,891
Having owned the 2021 Annihilator and now having spent a few days with the 2023 I think they're like 99% the same IEM. The slight increase in bass quantity jumps out at first blush but the more I listen to it the more I find it more-or-less the exact sound I remember from before, with only a slight increase in quantity. Said bass quantity increase is nice but quality-wise it's still pretty much the same, which for me is "minimally acceptable". I could still see bass being a deal breaker for some with this IEM, even though for me its other strengths allow me to overlook that. YMMV etc.
Are mids and highs identical in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back