The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #65,101 of 91,287
Been listening to Jewel on the phone because I'm reading a book in the park, never and still aren't a fan of EQ but Jewel takes EQ so well, absolutely no distortion, maintains that crystalline clarity, separation and layering. Added a bit of oomph to the sub bass, body to the mid bass. Very nice. Not a fan of EQ when I have my Hugo2, no sense in fussing with that pristine signal but this is quite fun on a phone.

I'll chime in on the raging A18t debate, previous owner of A12 as well. The A18t is supremely technical, like the Jewel. Sacrifices some of the analog smoothness and holographic stage and can be a bit dry but overall it's a great monitor. TBH I can't go back to it anymore now that I have Jewel, the BA bass just doesn't sound right. I think there is an argument to be made though that getting the most technically high level monitor (layering/separation, stage, resolution, etc) is the way to go with sound signature being 2nd since you can EQ (if you don't mind). A top shelf technical IEM will maintain that technicality through the EQ process but you can't EQ a DD bass into BA bass.

I'm in agreement with both. I know the MAD24's been refreshed at least a couple times, but the one I heard in 2017/2018 (I think?) was incoherent and messy-sounding. The Storm also isn't an IEM that perfectly strikes reference to me, because of that dryness in the midrange you mentioned. It also clearly has that sandy, powdery, e-stat texture in its treble, which carries over from track to track. As far as a listening reference, though, as in the last word when you wanna fully dissect a track and see all it has to offer, the Storm has a solid shot for sure. I just wouldn't personally mix or master with it.

I still think the 64 audio tia open treble driver is the best treble I've heard, have yet to hear Elysium stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #65,103 of 91,287
Thanks! Yeah, I'm the same. I grew up listening to live instruments at church, and I've since only played, engineered, mixed and mastered acoustic instruments as well. Even the MIDI (or programmed instruments) project I had to do for my audio engineering diploma was made to sound like a mic'ed record. :D With synthesized sounds, I don't mind if they sound "off-neutral", but I'd still want them to sound good, of course. When I'm mixing a massive band like the one at my church (over 50 channels' worth of mics and instrument inputs), I always make sure the acoustic instruments (like drums and vocals) sound correct first, then I EQ the keyboards, synthesizers and electric guitars to fit in and around them in the frequency band. They'd be the sounds I'd compromise most to achieve a clean, tidy mix.

Yeah, unfortunately, again, marketing has sort of tilted what reference or neutral means in most audiophiles' eyes. Around the time the HD800 really skyrocketed, it became a race for detail. "The most detailed IEM is the most reference one!" Which, clearly isn't true. Then, that pursuit of detail and clarity led to a lot of headphones and IEMs getting bright top-ends. They were obviously also after that instant gratification of hearing a ton of air and detail in your first 5 seconds with an in-ear; just long enough to get the client's credit card out, but not enough for the high-end fatigue and compression to set in when they listen to their fresh new purchase at home.

I've actually found these brighter signatures least conducive for mixing or mastering. Because they're so crisp and transient-heavy, it's much harder to hear what you're doing in the lower, warmer overtones. Say, you're EQ-ing a tom-tom. As much as you try to tune the low-end or midrange, the overwhelming sound you get is the stick hitting the skin; too much thwack relative to boom. The same goes for vocals. It's hard to tell when you've got the saturation of the upper-mids or the weight of the lower-mids just right when the singer's lips are smacking in your face and every sibilant becomes the loudest sound in the mix. It's difficult to tell when you've done enough to make them sound clean, when the IEM's crisp, airy signature already makes them sound clean in the first place. Maybe other engineers feel differently, but brighter-tiled sigs are always my least favorite to mix with.

My go-to references are a mix of that ideal reference I talked about and my personal reference. For a long time, it used to be the A18s. I find its signature unexaggerated and uncolored, apart from a slight mid-bass tilt and a softer low-treble. Now, my personal reference likes those two qualities, especially to ensure reliability even after long hours of mixing. I'd co-pilot that with my JH Audio Layla. It doesn't have the most colorless tone in the world, but its technical faculties made slight changes in levelling incredibly apparent. When I brought down a vocalist or a guitar by 1-1.5dB, I'd hear that instrument clearly take a step back on the Layla. So, I'd use those two in conjunction. But, I eventually retired them both with the JH Sharona. I consider it a better execution of the A18s's tone, whilst improving on the technical faculties of the Layla.

Now, it's very important to note that these references are for me as a mix and mastering engineer. I've heard people express the deepest vitriol for the IEMs I just mentioned, so please keep that heavily in mind. :D
Don't make me load up the upper mids/low treble shotgun Daniel 😜

100% agree that lower warmer undertones don't work as well on brighter stuff. Unfortunately the A12t/A18s leaned too much in that direction in comparison to the U12t and I had a M4 already.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #65,104 of 91,287
I love hunting for nerdy audio accessories to solve ‘problems’ in this hobby. I find at times when I need to put my IEMs down for a few minutes or so that they might slide on the surface beside my desktop - not anymore, bought some non slip mats and a wooden serving tray to position whatever IEM is on duty on… a relatively cheap audio fix that makes me very happy 😂 Oh and CDs via my desktop via MEST = 🥰

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7696.jpeg

IMG_7702.jpeg

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #65,105 of 91,287
Yeap! This is a lovely pair :)

I'm on another lovely pair right now😎Hope that will make the 16hrs flight to LA more bearable!

20230927_204202_HDR.jpg

- Jordon
Thanks for the Diva 2023 tour opportunity too for those of us here in Australia!

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #65,106 of 91,287
TGX Serratus Black Sand

IMG_2003.jpeg
I've been trying out the TGX Black Sand Serratus with N8bb (Cayin N8 Black Brass), and I must say, Black Sand are quite good. I'm really impressed. They have a refined and clean sound. In my opinion, they offer more body and perfect lows compared to the TGX Totem (bell-type shell, silver-plated copper cable version). Bass(perfect for me) seems like in-between the BA and the resonant-rich DD driver setting. Overall resolution seems good.
IMG_2002.jpeg

They are great for listening to male and female vocals, with non-irritating highs. They are not overly bright compared to some other treble-famous pitched IEMs. They complement the Totem well, and among in-ear monitors (IEMs), they have a tonality somewhat reminiscent of the 64 Audio U6t, with a slight warmth.

I personally prefer the MX shell over the Bell type(Better fit for me). Though there are no earphone cushion holes, SQ is clean, avoiding the messy/hazy feel often associated(dreaded) with open-back earbud designs.

I heard that TGX Desolation Sound(DS) offers great sound quality, and Jim mentioned that he priced the Serratus Black Sand lower to introduce DS-like SQ to more people.

I'm very satisfied with them, and they might become my go-to open-back earbuds. I haven't tried them with classical music yet, but if you're into female vocals, the TGX Totem might be a better choice.

IMG_1995.jpeg

Listening to the Victory-Cian Ducrot album through the Cayin DAP, the Serratus Black Sand seems to provide a more enveloping soundstage compared to my IEM (Mest2), and it outperforms the Kr5 (Krypton 5), which has a somewhat cloudy sound. I am using Neon4 (Ne4) with the default 3.5mm cable, so the soundstage is a bit lacking with Ne4.

When paired with the DX 300 Max Ti (slightly bright), it adds some sparkle to female vocals. The strong lows come from the Cayin DAP.

IMG_1994.jpeg

Among open-back earbuds, these are currently my favorite. You might find them quite satisfying.

Oh, and the shell around the diaphragm appears to be filled of black sand, and there's a hole-like structure on top. Even the resonance chamber seems to have some sand inside.

This might contribute to their clean sound, perhaps even tightening the bass slightly.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #65,107 of 91,287
I'm in agreement with both. I know the MAD24's been refreshed at least a couple times, but the one I heard in 2017/2018 (I think?) was incoherent and messy-sounding. The Storm also isn't an IEM that perfectly strikes reference to me, because of that dryness in the midrange you mentioned. It also clearly has that sandy, powdery, e-stat texture in its treble, which carries over from track to track. As far as a listening reference, though, as in the last word when you wanna fully dissect a track and see all it has to offer, the Storm has a solid shot for sure. I just wouldn't personally mix or master with it.
I agree on the MAD24’s. I heard them in 2022 and 2023 and did not care for them. They were simply not in the class of the top IEMs for me.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #65,108 of 91,287
I’m pretty reluctant to share my impressions, because I don’t put any effort and I don’t even like reading detailed impressions myself. So I’d still suggest asking Chang, I believe he will be happy to share his insights. From my quick listen, Blue Hour seems to render a more controlled sound, particularly in the higher mids (?). Bass wise I don’t seem too hear a lot of difference, though this may change since I’ve only used Blue Hour for less than an hour. I don’t think it needs pointing out that putting aside subjective hearing and sensory perceptions, the type of gear and consequent synergies in the chain make a substantive difference. I don’t know whether I have the Vanguard 2w or 4w (this is a temporary borrow, pending completion of my Blue Hour), but I suspect it’s the former. But do I prefer Blue Hour? Yes, esp since I also listen to Asian vocals, so I really like when nuances and the enunciation come out clearer.

Attachments

• IMG_8031.jpeg
    IMG_8031.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #65,109 of 91,287
4. OG UERM

The original UERM continues to be, for me, a fantastically neutral studio monitor. It's because of that, that I prize mine greatly, and rarely bring it out for fear of bad things happening to it. But if it does have an Achilles's heel, it's the supremely flat bass response. It's a double-edged sword, something that I greatly appreciate, but don't always enjoy, if that makes sense. When they tried to address the UERM's low-end issues with the UERR, I was glad but not wowed. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it in any way, not at all. But it's a living embodiment of BA bass... it's moar bass, but not necessary richer bass. It was, to me, a kindred spirit of the UERM, and not necessarily the successor that I personally wanted it to be. I've long hoped that Ultimate Ears would release a true successor to them both, and I was hoping the UE Live would be it, but it went in a different direction. And the UE Premier... in many ways it's an anti-UERM or anti-UERR.

Now, I mention all of this because I recently received a unit here that absolutely blindsided me. Early days still, honeymoon phase, only a few hours into it -- but so far it's fantastically balanced in a way that I totally did not expect. Imagine a UERM, but with DD bass (because it's got a DD for bass). I may have finally found a new monitor signature that tingles my left brain as much as it tickles my right brain. :relaxed:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm the same. I grew up listening to live instruments at church, and I've since only played, engineered, mixed and mastered acoustic instruments as well.

The number of new people in the hobby that have little to no experience with live music these days is absolutely staggering. To each their own of course, but I feel like they're missing out on a crucial aspect of musical enjoyment.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #65,110 of 91,287
Now, I mention all of this because I recently received a unit here that absolutely blindsided me. Early days still, honeymoon phase, only a few hours into it -- but so far it's fantastically balanced in a way that I totally did not expect. Imagine a UERM, but with DD bass (because it's got a DD for bass). I may have finally found a new monitor signature that tingles my left brain as much as it tickles my right brain. :relaxed:
What a tease 😈

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #65,111 of 91,287
What a tease 😈

🤣 Sorry about that!

In my rush to post several posts at once, I forget to mention that it's the Bellos Audio X4. And surprisingly, in a reversal of ever increasing price points, it's the same price as the original UERM at just under a kilobuck.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #65,112 of 91,287
🤣 Sorry about that!

In my rush to post several posts at once, I forget to mention that it's the Bellos Audio X4. And surprisingly, in a reversal of ever increasing price points, it's the same price as the original UERM at just under a kilobuck.
Thank you so much 🙏🏼

I’m now quite interested in this set!!

Edit: do they offer universal? I see that it’s custom only but they show them with ear tips?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #65,113 of 91,287
Thank you so much 🙏🏼

I’m now quite interested in this set!!

Edit: do they offer universal? I see that it’s custom only but they show them wit ear tips?

Again, sorry about the tease. My brain lapsed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, it's a bit different in that respect. Even though they only have customs for sale, I'm sure they can be persuaded to make a universal version or two? After all, they've got to have at least some universals on-hand for people to demo right?

Personally, I'm slightly iffy about the tips. I get what they are trying to do, marrying a shallow custom canal with super soft silicone at the tip for both comfort and seal. And to be fair, they've been insanely comfortable thus far... but I'm still wary. Probably the single greatest reason as to why I favor customs is because I have very small earginas, and extended listening with tips causes me some skin irritation at the contact points.

Time will tell how these do for me in that regard, but on the basis of sound signature -- chef's kiss so far! :kissing_heart:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #65,114 of 91,287
Again, sorry about the tease. My brain lapsed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, it's a bit different in that respect. Even though they only have customs for sale, I'm sure they can be persuaded to make a universal version or two? After all, they've got to have at least some universals on-hand for people to demo right?

Personally, I'm slightly iffy about the tips. I get what they are trying to do, marrying a shallow custom canal with super soft silicone at the tip for both comfort and seal. And to be fair, they've been insanely comfortable thus far... but I'm still wary. Probably the single greatest reason as to why I favor customs is because I have very small earginas, and extended listening with tips causes me some skin irritation at the contact points.

Time will tell how these do for me in that regard, but on the basis of sound signature -- chef's kiss so far! :kissing_heart:
No worries at all, I was just teasing with you. Thank you for the detailed info. I’m going to send them an email :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #65,115 of 91,287
No worries at all, I was just teasing with you. Thank you for the detailed info. I’m going to send them an email :)

Bogden drawing you back in with Bellos 🤭

IMG_2902.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back