The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #62,386 of 89,998
Hey guys
If Ragnar and Xe6 had a baby would you guys say it’s rn6 or is that too far off?
Really curious because I own both and would want something that’s tuning wise right in the middle of them! I truly enjoy both as how they are don’t get me wrong. It’s just an idea or fantasy I had if these two were combined what would closely result out of it.
And there’s no place better to ask this kind of question I guess. So this goes to the folks who had the opportunity to hear them!
TIA
I own Ragnar and RN6 and have only listened to XE6. I can confirm that Ragnar and RN6 are more similar than Ragnar and XE6 can be. For this very reason I purchased RN6 and not XE6. RN6 is more like Ragnar.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #62,387 of 89,998
Mass Kobo 475 out for delivery 👀

Screenshot_20230803-103933_Shop.jpg

I am charged up!

received_804166641290235.jpeg

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #62,388 of 89,998
That's nice! How does the lid close? By magnet?

I opted for the VanNuys Case and I'm extremely satisfied. It's a 6 IEM case and I just removed the divider in the middle for my SP3000 and changed width to the right a little bit. Very flexible. Everything inside is very well protected with this case.

1691077197607.png

Yep, the lids on the Miter cases are firmly maintained with strong magnets once closed, they doesn’t move.

I also wanted to order an 8 slots VanNuys case directly from their Japanese webshop but it‘s waaaaaay too long to get it delivered to me. 😭

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #62,389 of 89,998
Escaping the tendency to judge an IEM by its frequency response alone is one of the first steps towards audiophile maturity imho

Which version of the Trifecta is this?
Ya know. I feel you. Graphs can be and ought to be “escaped” if not all the time, a lot of the time.

But its hard. Mainstream reviewers one coverses with pull you in. Even the more well-meaning ones.

And graphs often do look like they ought to lol. In other words, many IEMs do graph like they sound.

You must also realize this thread is one of the very few places where we can talk about transcending graphs into audiophile maturity. 😂

Too many “engineers” I know without understanding limitations of Harman research (something as basic as their small sample size for both their headphone and IEM graph but particularly for their IEM graph) write off IEMs on the basis of graphs.

And when you have a graph like the one below floating around the internet…

IMG_2509.png

…fat chance it won’t get some hate.

Stepping away from graphs, I also understand some may not like the Trifecta if they are treble-sensitive or have the wrong source pairing. With the wrong source, the Trifecta can sound like the devil with a sore throat. 👿 😊 I exaggerate of course.

Come to think of, there are super experienced audiophiles who still don’t believe in sources!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #62,392 of 89,998
The one provided with the Cayin C9. Ungrounded.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #62,393 of 89,998
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #62,394 of 89,998
IMG20230803180113.jpg

It Sounds....

🤤🤤🤤🤤
Is this the final design for the raven? Did not expect an “understated” look after the odin and odyssey. But I like it 😁

What material is the shell? Looks like metal

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #62,395 of 89,998
Outstanding with the Trifecta!
I have tried it with different DAPs but prefer it with the WM1ZM2.

I do have to say I hated the Trifecta first time I heard it on an AK DAP.

I disliked it the second time on the DX300.

Third time on the Sony I was like, wth, why am I liking it so much? Its supposed to have an objectionable frequency response! As for treble, on the this particular listen, I would say it was on the right side of present without being strident.

Over a few listens, after I purchased it, during the course of a couple of days, it became entirely tolerable and increasingly becoming exciting in its spice.

Brain burn-in I would say. 🔥

Funny you mention Metallica: I adore Metallica on it. In fact, it may become my Metallica IEM. The riffs on And Justice for All sound so euphorically heavy!

And I agree that they look nice (albeit somewhat phallic). 😊

IMG_2492.jpeg
Yeah I have experienced brain-burnin my self as well. In particular with the Fourte Blanc. Which is now one of my favorites.

But I guess I have to revisit the Trifecta + be on the lookout for the sony.

The album I was listening was: Metallica - Helping Hands… live

Different sound from them, yet amazing!

But I’m also one of the few that LOVE saint anger. Gets the blood flowing 😅

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #62,396 of 89,998
Aug 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #62,398 of 89,998
And graphs often do look like they ought to lol. In other words, many IEMs do graph like they sound.

I don't doubt that but in my experience given how much one's mood and attitude going into something can taint perceptions of it and also how many times I've almost dismissed an IEM based off a graph that I ended up loving (Isa and Zen Pro are two classic examples)...my conviction now is that it is much better to listen to something and form an impression of it before even looking at a graphs.

You must also realize this thread is one of the very few places where we can talk about transcending graphs into audiophile maturity. 😂
Yes and that is not by accident :wink:

Too many “engineers”

That's definiltey one of the mindsets with which some approach this hobby...and power to them for doing their own thing. Such folks tend to approach tuning an IEM as though it was mostly a science...and the result a lot of the time is an IEM that sounds good but overall has a very utilitarian feel to it. At the opposite end are those who approch and see tuning as more of an art than a science. I'm definitely more in this category personally and I think this is pretty well reflected in the IEMs I gravitate to.

And when you have a graph like the one below floating around the internet…

IMG_2509.png

…fat chance it won’t get some hate.

Sure...but in fairness I think that graph is borked.

I also understand some may not like the Trifecta if they are treble-sensitive or have the wrong source pairing. With the wrong source, the Trifecta can sound like the devil with a sore throat. 👿 😊 I exaggerate of course.

Oh, 100%...I'm under no illusions that it is an IEM for everyone.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #62,399 of 89,998
Which should I get for listening with the Tsuranagi amp that I'm getting - the Rn6 or the Xe6? I am tired of my Trailli and want to try something new. The Fir audio atom venting modules call out to me (love the tech on 64 audio stuff) and I'm also in the market for a more bass-heavy experience. But generally I prefer big soundstage and a balanced approach...

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #62,400 of 89,998
Old Claud do love a good single driver IEM, but wow, just WOW this Singularity is the bomb!!!!! I ordered mine with the base interconnect and it still produces the best musical quality I have ever heard in a single driver. I have a Venom coming, but I think I should get the best upgrade cable that NightJar has.
Mr Chang,
Can you describe the upgrade effects of your cables on Singularity, Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back