The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #62,401 of 91,364
Old Claud do love a good single driver IEM, but wow, just WOW this Singularity is the bomb!!!!! I ordered mine with the base interconnect and it still produces the best musical quality I have ever heard in a single driver. I have a Venom coming, but I think I should get the best upgrade cable that NightJar has.
Mr Chang,
Can you describe the upgrade effects of your cables on Singularity, Please.
From Chang.

In terms of differences. Vanguard is voiced for a more mid-centric and organic presentation tonally, with a special focus on staging, layering, and maintaining a good level of resolution while avoiding the mushiness that usually comes with this kind of tonality. In many ways it is a direct evolution of the Midnight it was designed to replace.

As for Blue Hour, it has slightly warm leaning mids with a slight lift in sub-bass and upper-treble. Overall, more balanced sounding with strong emphasis on technicalities. It is a full step up from the Vanguard in terms of staging, layering and resolution which the Vanguard is already strong in. Tonally, Blue Hour is more extended on both ends and more balanced warm compared to the more mid-centric voicing of the Vanguard.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #62,402 of 91,364
Which should I get for listening with the Tsuranagi amp that I'm getting - the Rn6 or the Xe6? I am tired of my Trailli and want to try something new. The Fir audio atom venting modules call out to me (love the tech on 64 audio stuff) and I'm also in the market for a more bass-heavy experience. But generally I prefer big soundstage and a balanced approach...
I am in the Rn6 camp big time. For the mids and treble clarity compounded with the kinetic bass. Everyone loves the red module. I don’t disagree. But the silver is a great option for more bass heavy listening. Pair with your Orpheus and P6 Pro and you have a winner. And yes I have Xe6. Too warm. Rn6 is where the light went on with all of the Fir Audio praise. It’s worthy of it.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #62,403 of 91,364
So, how do I buy a Blue Hour cable, weexisttocease ? What is/was the price?

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #62,404 of 91,364
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #62,405 of 91,364
Email to Chang sent

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #62,406 of 91,364
Mass Kobo 475 unboxing / First thoughts:

Mine was serial #51
received_992976048515473.jpeg

The packaging is as mimimal as they come. Double boxed with cardboard with just the amp inside no accessory.

received_1597777010755439.jpeg

received_234659739535197.jpeg

• The I/O is pretty straight forward. Most of the functions are on this panel.
  • Usb C charging in at the front. While I mainly plan to use mainly batteries, it would have been nice if it was in located at the back like Tsuranagi.
  • Power on and off button flick on and off vs Tsuranagi which turns on after turning the volume wheel
  • Input and outputs are both 4.4.
  • The volume wheel attenuation is on the stiffer side where Tsuranagi is generously looser.

received_792381829247650.jpeg

• The back panel slides off fairly easily.
  • There's a blue ribbon belt (similar to the Van Nueys divide one that I showed recently) that allows me to remove the batteries easily.
  • 475 takes 4x AA batteries. The gain switches (bottom right) are also located here. They are hard to flick with fingers. I'll play around with toothpicks later. At the default setting, I can get to the desired volume with minimal attenuation.

received_323626396687470.jpeg

Size comparison vs Hiby R6P2. 475 is definitely more of a transportable than a portable amp like Tsuranagi.

received_305987421988844.jpeg

Side angle for comparison. It's quite thick, roughly 25% thicker than RS8. What I like is the height at least being "reasonable". I'll see how it fits my Eletech, Plussound and Van Nueys cases later.

Sound impressions:
I did a brain burn in last night with Impact + R6P2. I thought i'd drop some impressions after adding 475 while it is fresh.

received_587302453605366.jpeg

Penon Impact -> Mass Kobo 475 (Tamiya Neochamp batteries) -> Hiby R6P2 -> Brise Yatono 4.4 -

🤯 The hype is real. What stands out:​
  • Explosive macro dynamics. I haven't experienced this from other daps aside from 320 Max. A difference that I notice is the enhanced micro dynamic swings. With other less audible track layers, I can hear more fluctuations.
  • The tuning is a bit different than I thought after reading impressions. What I expected was more of a neutral-bright. This sounds more of a neutral-warm. It sounds more of a mild U shape vs more of an L shape like 320 Max. Where I am attributing the warmth is the deep, rich, condensed low end. The mid range is clear and textured but not recessed. It sounds detailed but bodied.
  • With this combo the treble is sharper than Tsuranagi. It's well extended but not the traditional "bright" which can come off brittle or overly incisive. I'll get a narrower range once I try it with Annihilator and earbuds that I am familar with
  • Transients are speedy and grippy resulting in great separation and overall resolution.
I'll add to this once I get more ear time 🎶.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #62,407 of 91,364
Mass Kobo 475 unboxing / First thoughts:

Mine was serial #51

The packaging is as mimimal as they come. Double boxed with cardboard with just the amp inside no accessory.

• The I/O is pretty straight forward. Most of the functions are on this panel.
  • Usb C charging in at the front. While I mainly plan to use mainly batteries, it would have been nice if it was in located at the back like Tsuranagi.
  • Power on and off button flick on and off vs Tsuranagi which turns on after turning the volume wheel
  • Input and outputs are both 4.4.
  • The volume wheel attenuation is on the stiffer side where Tsuranagi is generously looser.

• The back panel slides off fairly easily.
  • There's a blue ribbon belt (similar to the Van Nueys divide one that I showed recently) that allows me to remove the batteries easily.
  • 475 takes 4x AA batteries. The gain switches (bottom right) are also located here. They are hard to flick with fingers. I'll play around with toothpicks later. At the default setting, I can get to the desired volume with minimal attenuation.

Size comparison vs Hiby R6P2. 475 is definitely more of a transportable than a portable amp like Tsuranagi.

Side angle for comparison. It's quite thick, roughly 25% thicker than RS8. What I like is the height at least being "reasonable". I'll see how it fits my Eletech, Plussound and Van Nueys cases later.

Sound impressions:
I did a brain burn in last night with Impact + R6P2. I thought i'd drop some impressions after adding 475 while it is fresh.

Penon Impact -> Mass Kobo 475 (Tamiya Neochamp batteries) -> Hiby R6P2 -> Brise Yatono 4.4 -

🤯 The hype is real. What stands out:​
  • Explosive macro dynamics. I haven't experienced this from other daps aside from 320 Max. A difference that I notice is the enhanced micro dynamic swings. With other less audible track layers, I can hear more fluctuations.
  • The tuning is a bit different than I thought after reading impressions. What I expected was more of a neutral-bright. This sounds more of a neutral-warm. It sounds more of a mild U shape vs more of an L shape like 320 Max. Where I am attributing the warmth is the deep, rich, condensed low end. The mid range is clear and textured but not recessed. It sounds detailed but bodied.
  • With this combo the treble is sharper than Tsuranagi. It's well extended but not the traditional "bright" which can come off brittle or overly incisive. I'll get a narrower range once I try it with Annihilator and earbuds that I am familar with
  • Transients are speedy and grippy resulting in great separation and overall resolution.
I'll add to this once I get more ear time 🎶.
Great impressions @Natesdailies. I have not heard the 475. I have however heard the 465 and if the 475 sounds anything like the 465, I do prefer that sound signature over the Tsuranagi. To my ears, the 465 has a certain je ne sais quoi which is missing from the Tsuranagi. Of course this is not really an apples-to-apples comparison given that the 465 is more a desktop device built around the Susavara and costs north of US$20,000!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #62,408 of 91,364
Went out for a nice relaxing sunset ride tonight. Lately I've been really enjoying the portability, sound and general convenience of the SR35. Every so often the thought enters my mind that maybe I don't really need the LP6, which isn't getting as much use now as it's summer time. This evening I brought it out with me and it was magical...I can never get over ballsy yet refined and delicate majesty of the sound this player puts out, which is even more rewarding if I haven't heard it in a few days.

7B05D52F-6AE3-45F2-A3D9-DFE660132066.JPEG

I came across this happy couple grazing and hanging out...

4D94A5E1-648F-42AA-B6ED-3EE96F02282B.JPEG

C815F618-C4BF-4ECB-8F7C-D3B998B44221.JPEG

Sunset over Lake Okanagan...

1910ABD0-2BD7-4A1D-9D05-AEF54042F365.JPEG

Mango chillin' out...

4091C5BF-138A-4C4B-A8AD-74AC628507AE.JPEG

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #62,409 of 91,364
Does it pair well with the Trifecta?

I auditioned the Trifecta 3 days but could not get over the sibelance. Butchered some live metallica tracks. But this was with the lotoo paw touch gold titanium.

The design of the trifecta, makes me want them though 😅 eye candy

Finally someone hears it the way I do. Trifecta is a saw and no, this has nothing to do with brain burn in. The highs are nothing but pain in my ears.

I don’t listen to metal, but I can imagine it’s even worse than my experiences. I really doubted about my hearing, heard some sibilant tones from the RN6 too, same with Indigo, Pathfinder, Supermoon and Fourte Blanc. I am not 23 anymore, so it can’t be my age. Anyway, I think the presentation of the highs is always the sticking point to me.

And now you are asking, what he’s listening to? What do you think - Ragnar it is. 🫣

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #62,410 of 91,364
I never had the chance to try XE6, unfortunately. But comparing graphs, they should be very different. Kinetic Bass probably missing in the graph...

I have the Rn6 and Grand. To plot, the Rn6 has a fair bit less mid bass with red module vs XE6 and the Grand is comparably even more sub bass focussed. Both have top notch technicals up top, the Rn6 and XE6 both have relatively scooped forward mids vs a more natural mid tuning on the Grand.

If you love the signature FiR style, the XE6 will be hard to beat, on the other hand, the Grand is much more flexible across genres.

@aaf evo has spent a lot of time with both Grand and XE6 specifically and could probably comment more specifically there.
Oh wow, heh. Grand v XE6 are two very different sounding IEMs. 😂

If you have any specific questions @phiemon I am happy to answer. Otherwise I’d just be describing what they sound like by themselves which I feel has been shared before.

Oh I just wanted general impressions like the ones you posted. I had read from some that they were pretty excited about GM. But if I want a basshead, I just can't get past the Xe6!

Thanks for the inputs!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #62,411 of 91,364
Which should I get for listening with the Tsuranagi amp that I'm getting - the Rn6 or the Xe6? I am tired of my Trailli and want to try something new. The Fir audio atom venting modules call out to me (love the tech on 64 audio stuff) and I'm also in the market for a more bass-heavy experience. But generally I prefer big soundstage and a balanced approach...
RN6........

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #62,413 of 91,364
Finally someone hears it the way I do. Trifecta is a saw and no, this has nothing to do with brain burn in. The highs are nothing but pain in my ears.

I don’t listen to metal, but I can imagine it’s even worse than my experiences. I really doubted about my hearing, heard some sibilant tones from the RN6 too, same with Indigo, Pathfinder, Supermoon and Fourte Blanc. I am not 23 anymore, so it can’t be my age. Anyway, I think the presentation of the highs is always the sticking point to me.

And now you are asking, what he’s listening to? What do you think - Ragnar it is. 🫣
You are probably sensitive to a certain or several khz frequency that is pronounced in the tuning of these IEMs. A case where FR graphs can be quite useful to either single out releases you wouldn't like or EQ the problems out.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #62,414 of 91,364
You are probably sensitive to a certain or several khz frequency that is pronounced in the tuning of these IEMs. A case where FR graphs can be quite useful to either single out releases you wouldn't like or EQ the problems out.
Maybe that’s true, but actually I don’t like looking at graphs or eqing, this isn’t the way I want to experience music. Okay, changing the frequency response with sound modules or switches I am fine with, but wiping out the frequencies isn‘t for me.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #62,415 of 91,364
Maybe that’s true, but actually I don’t like looking at graphs or eqing, this isn’t the way I want to experience music. Okay, changing the frequency response with sound modules or switches I am fine with, but wiping out the frequencies isn‘t for me.
I too do not really know or appreciate graphs and just go but what I like to listen to but I do understand that some people just have no access. Based on your list though, I would not have thought that Blanc is more aggressive than Ragnar in the treble but you have just proved otherwise. Just goes to show that we do hear things so different and that the sense of hearing is can be so divisive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back