The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #57,766 of 90,102
I appreciate your perspective. While I find synergy hunting fun, if I were to pay $4k for an IEM, I expect tizz to be controlled to a greater degree. I haven't heard any of those TOTL sets but (and I'm assuming you're not treble sensitive here) if you're telling me they all display harshness and sibilance then we need to start expecting more for our money from 'TOTL'.
One of the best comments in this thread imho!

May 1, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #57,767 of 90,102
I appreciate your perspective. While I find synergy hunting fun, if I were to pay $4k for an IEM, I expect tizz to be controlled to a greater degree. I haven't heard any of those TOTL sets but (and I'm assuming you're not treble sensitive here) if you're telling me they all display harshness and sibilance then we need to start expecting more for our money from 'TOTL'.
Isn't there a 1000 likes button?

May 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #57,768 of 90,102
So what I'm saying is: yes, Mentor can be harsh, but with the right source and with the right cable, it's easy to work around the problem (which otherwise doesn't bother me personally at all).

Honestly excess energy up top was the least of my issues with Mentor-- and as is the case most of the time in situations like this a little EQ can go a long way. Hazy mids and lacklustre bass, on the other hand, are not so easiliy remedied with EQ.

And other TOTLs which I tried generally don't do any better - except Jewel.

I found Jewel to be a little fatiguing up top. I never got around to EQing it though. Have you heard the Traillii? Or the Erlkonig, or Phonix LE? These would be my personal picks for $4k+ IEMs that are not harsh in any way up top.

May 1, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #57,769 of 90,102
Indeed, it is. I just went back to try it again, and RS8 with Turbo mode on still makes MM mid-treble sound a bit overwhelming to my ears. You turn the Turbo off, and it's perfect. Now, with N7 the MM treble is somewhere in-between of RS8 turbo on and off, giving the sound more clarity and higher resolution. You can give MM a bit more body switching N7 from Class AB to Class A, though that narrows the perception of soundstage a bit as well. Only had SP3k on loan for review, borrowed twice, so can't compare it now, but from my notes the pair up of SP3k with MM was among the best I tried.
I’m using RS8 with MM without Turbo. No issue for mid treble same as you. Not sure why we need Turbo for easy drive iem like MM.

I refer to sibilance as a vocal trait, a 'sss' and it often comes hand in hand with harshness, but not always. For me harshness is somewhere beyond clarity and definition and into a gritty, metallic sound that's usually caused by an overaccentuated lower treble across the board.
Not sure if it is about fitting or tips. I don’t have any issue for ‘sss’ on MM with RS8 and Sp3000. I have issue with MSE but I believe it is about the fit.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #57,770 of 90,102
duplicate

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #57,771 of 90,102
Not sure if it is about fitting. I never heard any ‘sss’ on Mentor with Sp3k and Rs8. I have issue with MSE only.

Overt sibilance wasn't an issue during my very brief time with Mentor it was a 'harshness' and a 'tizzy' unbalanced treble that made the tonality unnatural and was apparent from the first track. This emphasis is reflected in the FR too. The fitment was fine for me.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #57,772 of 90,102
I’m using RS8 with MM without Turbo. No issue for mid treble same as you. Not sure why we need Turbo for easy drive iem like MM.

I agree :) But sometimes we forget the switch is enabled. I like using some hybrid IEMs w/DD bass with Turbo (RS8) and P+ (N8ii) enabled, higher voltage does wonders to energize and improve dynamics of DD driver (in some pair ups). And then you forget to turn it off when switching to another IEM. The same happens to me when I'm playing with LPGT parametric EQ when providing tuning feedback to manufacturers; sometimes forget to turn if off and then scratching my head what happened :D

May 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #57,773 of 90,102
I found Jewel to be a little fatiguing up top. I never got around to EQing it though.
I don't know, maybe one of the reasons I haven't noticed this problem with Jewel at all is because I use it directly with First Times and SP3000. I have never used the stock cable of Jewel.

Have you heard the Traillii? Or the Erlkonig, or Phonix LE? These would be my personal picks for $4k+ IEMs that are not harsh in any way up top.
Unfortunately, I have never had this pleasure. But they are in my wish list.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #57,774 of 90,102
Overt sibilance wasn't an issue during my very brief time with Mentor it was a 'harshness' and a 'tizzy' unbalanced treble that made the tonality unnatural and was apparent from the first track. This emphasis is reflected in the FR too. The fitment was fine for me.
All you have to do is turn 60 years old, and any harshness or sibilance in the treble region becomes much, much less of an issue. :smile:

May 1, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #57,775 of 90,102
I agree :) But sometimes we forget the switch is enabled. I like using some hybrid IEMs w/DD bass with Turbo (RS8) and P+ (N8ii) enabled, higher voltage does wonders to energize and improve dynamics of DD driver (in some pair ups). And then you forget to turn it off when switching to another IEM. The same happens to me when I'm playing with LPGT parametric EQ when providing tuning feedback to manufacturers; sometimes forget to turn if off and then scratching my head what happened :D

This is primarily why I keep Turbo on RS8 (and switch between A / AB) and 3MAX (enables all 4 channels in AK4499), and P+ when I had N8ii. MORE POWAH!!! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #57,776 of 90,102
This is primarily why I keep Turbo on RS8 (and switch between A / AB) and 3MAX (enables all 4 channels in AK4499), and P+ when I had N8ii. MORE POWAH!!! :beyersmile:
💪🏻

May 1, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #57,777 of 90,102
All you have to do is turn 60 years old, and any harshness or sibilance in the treble region becomes much, much less of an issue. :smile:
So... burn in of sorts. LONG burn in... :laughing:

May 1, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #57,779 of 90,102
With regard to the sibilance conversation, I have something to add. Jewel is tuned such that you can really turn it up and I know I posted to it loud but its just so hard to resist turning the dial up when theres no harshness. Can't wait to play with cable paintings at some point still running an old Han Sound Venom which is a VERY unique cable in it's own right with regard to sound.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #57,780 of 90,102
Why? I think spending $3700 on a DAP to tame a treble energy peak in a $4500 IEM makes perfect sense. This is the way.
This is the way way!

Not turned 60 yet but already there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back