The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 1, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #57,736 of 91,398
I am one of those people who uses a DAP only for on-the-go, and therefore size is important to me. I have an N7 and can (sort of) get by with it in that respect, although the ports being on the bottom of the unit continually irritates. I looked at alternates, and it seems near impossible to find a great sounding DAP to partner with high-tier IEMs that ISNT the size of a (smallish) brick. I have owned the N6ii twice now and I believe this to be one of the few exceptions to the rule, its portable and sounds great. It is an option to buy yet another unless you guys have a recommendation? Must have Tidal streaming. In all probability I will just get myself used to the bulk of the N7. I just wish the Lotoo LPGT had streaming, it would be utterly perfect.
My use case for a DAP is the same as yours, and I’ve been very happy with the RS6. Fits in a pocket easily, has a great screen, and with open Android, you can install whatever streaming apps you like. It does have the headphone and line out jacks on the ‘bottom’ of the device, but i actually like that better, as when i put it in my pocket upside down, it’s then right-side up when i take it out. Been doing the same with my phone for years, so it feels quite natural to me this way.

Sure it makes a few small sacrifices to SQ vs some of the TOTL DAPs, but I’m a fan of its warm lush sound especially with all-BA IEMs. And it’s not a brick.

May 1, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #57,737 of 91,398
I am guessing these are from a fellow Headfi'er here. The unit belongs to my friend @Ace Bee!!

Hello friends,

Hope you all are doing great, today I got to try the TGXear Serratus earbuds which are quite phenomenal in their sound signature. It's quite amazing to get such a stronger lower end in an earbud. Midrange is exceptionally good, and the treble is smooth and detailed. The soundstage is a bit intimate but has a good amount of air so there's no congestion at all. It's quite an amazing experience auditioning these. Earbuds are personally not my taste because most of my portable setup requires isolation, and the Serratus had no isolation for me like all other earbuds, but apart from that talking about sound only, I am literally blown away here.

Enjoy a video of initial impressions on the same:-

May 1, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #57,738 of 91,398
Yep, I 2nd these impressions.
Still couldn't fully mitigate my gripes about the (magnified) harshness on many songs I ve been listening to yesterday (with RS8 or N7 with and without C9)

If someone is sending me Sp3k against N7 I will try 😃but otherwise I have to escape that rabbit hole before it will cost me an arm and leg

In my opinion, that harshness you describe and I think we're talking about the same thing (slightly aggressive ringing) is inherent in Mentor and the SP3000 is not the solution.
In fact, I'd suggest SP3000 with it's clarity and deep black background will make that even more apparent.

Mentor's aggressive and slightly choppy ringing stands out for me as the reason I did not keep it, yes it's engaging, dynamic and impressive imaging formed a bubble of sound around my head like very few other IEMs, but personally I found myself tense and somewhat exhausted after a good listening session.

May 1, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #57,739 of 91,398
I'm with @Eoin on the harshness with the Mentor

Now I should point out that I've never tried the Mentor or the SP3000 however the N7 is possibily the smoothest DAP I've heard and I would imagine that if it can't tame harshness then I'm not sure what will.

May 1, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #57,740 of 91,398
In my opinion, that harshness you describe and I think we're talking about the same thing (slightly aggressive ringing) is inherent in Mentor and the SP3000 is not the solution.
In fact, I'd suggest SP3000 with it's clarity and deep black background will make that even more apparent.

Mentor's aggressive and slightly choppy ringing stands out for me as the reason I did not keep it, yes it's engaging, dynamic and impressive imaging formed a bubble of sound around my head like very few other IEMs, but personally I found myself tense and somewhat exhausted after a good listening session.

All a matter of taste and tolerance but I really think UM should have approached the tuning of MM differently. If the BC is adding to imaging and tactility, why lean into that further with an (imo) unbalanced treble region? There was a need to balance the bouncy and expressive bass but they could have done that without the tizz.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #57,741 of 91,398
This hobby is nuts! :beyersmile:

In other news, another contender worthy of attention (for those not averse to all-BA sets):

_DSC3792.jpg

Sound Ryhme SR8 - $750, 14BA inc 4 Sonion 38AJ woofers, two tuning switches covering bass and treble.

1-1 - mild V
1-0 - bass-boosted neutral
0-0 - warm-neutral
0-1 - bright-neutral

Tuning switches are implemented really well for utility and it has great macrodynamics and staging. My money would be on this set representing a threshold for diminishing returns, alongside the Neon Pro.

How would you describe Neon Pro vs SR8? I really want an all BA back in my collection! Or a BA / EST mix.

Oh are they both vented?

May 1, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #57,742 of 91,398
How would you describe Neon Pro vs SR8? I really want an all BA back in my collection! Or a BA / EST mix.

Oh are they both vented?

SR8 is vented, no issues with pressure, great comfort. NP isn't but I didn't have an issue with pressure build up.

Neon Pro, from memory, has greater midbass quantity and with switch on, more subbass. SR8 is more for those that hang around the neutral / warm-neutral zone or prioritise midrange more. 1-1 on SR8 comes close to the NP but I remember feeling more excitement with NP with bass switch on. Both manage to create good atmosphere for ambient and modern classical but I imagine NP will do your electronic library greater justice?

Very hard to know for certain without having both side-by-side. If @s2kphile has time to hand, he may be able to give more information on these two, as he has both.

May 1, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #57,743 of 91,398

I'm with @Eoin on the harshness with the Mentor

Now I should point out that I've never tried the Mentor or the SP3000 however the N7 is possibily the smoothest DAP I've heard and I would imagine that if it can't tame harshness then I'm not sure what will.

All a matter of taste and tolerance but I really think UM should have approached the tuning of MM differently. If the BC is adding to imaging and tactility, why lean into that further with an (imo) unbalanced treble region? There was a need to balance the bouncy and expressive bass but they could have done that without the tizz.
In my opinion, the "harshness ssue" of Mentor needs to be put into a bit of perspective. I kind of don't like the way it all sounds here, maybe I'm the only one who perceives it that way. Yes, harshness is there, but even with the stock cable I don't find it that bad or annoying at all. This is just complaining at the highest level for me personally. Only the N7 and N8ii would have been real dealbreakers for me. Even with the A&K CA1000T I have never perceived the harshness as really noticeable or annoying, with the SP3000 even less and First Times helps even better in this regard. On the other hand, I can't remember any currently known TOTLs that weren't harsh or sibillant: Supermoon, Trifecta, Xe6, Ronin and Viking Ragnar were in my ears. The only exception is Jewel. Honestly guys, this Jewel is just fantastic in this area!

So what I'm saying is: yes, Mentor can be harsh, but with the right source and with the right cable, it's easy to work around the problem (which otherwise doesn't bother me personally at all). And other TOTLs which I tried generally don't do any better - except Jewel.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #57,744 of 91,398

If I hadn’t heard SP3000 with Mentor before, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately the treble simply doesn’t sound great to my ears with any other DAP I’ve tried, except for DX320 + amp14, but I felt that combination goes a little too far the other way and dulls the treble a touch too much.

It’s a big flaw of Mentor’s IMHO, and I can understand why some people haven’t enjoyed it as much as others.

May 1, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #57,745 of 91,398
In my opinion, the "harshness ssue" of Mentor needs to be put into a bit of perspective. I kind of don't like the way it all sounds here, maybe I'm the only one who perceives it that way. Yes, harshness is there, but even with the stock cable I don't find it that bad or annoying at all. This is just complaining at the highest level for me personally. Only the N7 and N8ii would have been real dealbreakers for me. Even with the A&K CA1000T I have never perceived the harshness as really noticeable or annoying, with the SP3000 even less and First Times helps even better in this regard. On the other hand, I can't remember any currently known TOTLs that weren't harsh or sibillant: Supermoon, Trifecta, Xe6, Ronin and Viking Ragnar were in my ears. The only exception is Jewel. Honestly guys, this Jewel is just fantastic in this area!

So what I'm saying is: yes, Mentor can be harsh, but with the right source and with the right cable, it's easy to work around the problem (which otherwise doesn't bother me personally at all). And other TOTLs generally don't do any better - except Jewel.

I appreciate your perspective. While I find synergy hunting fun, if I were to pay $4k for an IEM, I expect tizz to be controlled to a greater degree. I haven't heard any of those TOTL sets but (and I'm assuming you're not treble sensitive here) if you're telling me they all display harshness and sibilance then we need to start expecting more for our money from 'TOTL'.

May 1, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #57,746 of 91,398
This hobby is nuts! :beyersmile:

In other news, another contender worthy of attention (for those not averse to all-BA sets):

_DSC3792.jpg

Sound Ryhme SR8 - $750, 14BA inc 4 Sonion 38AJ woofers, two tuning switches covering bass and treble.

1-1 - mild V
1-0 - bass-boosted neutral
0-0 - warm-neutral
0-1 - bright-neutral

Tuning switches are implemented really well for utility and it has great macrodynamics and staging. My money would be on this set representing a threshold for diminishing returns, alongside the Neon Pro.
4 sonion vented woofers, you say? I love those ones. Clean and fast but with some physicality of DD.

51746B86-2C25-4A06-A279-3FEC8EAB327D.gif

May 1, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #57,747 of 91,398
SR8 is vented, no issues with pressure, great comfort. NP isn't but I didn't have an issue with pressure build up.

Neon Pro, from memory, has greater midbass quantity and with switch on, more subbass. SR8 is more for those that hang around the neutral / warm-neutral zone or prioritise midrange more. 1-1 on SR8 comes close to the NP but I remember feeling more excitement with NP with bass switch on. Both manage to create good atmosphere for ambient and modern classical but I imagine NP will do your electronic library greater justice?

Very hard to know for certain without having both side-by-side. If @s2kphile has time to hand, he may be able to give more information on these two, as he has both.

Cheers, I’ll do some more research on both - it’ll be a few weeks anyway before I pull the trigger on anything!

May 1, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #57,748 of 91,398
4 sonion vented woofers, you say? I love those ones. Clean and fast but with some physicality of DD.

51746B86-2C25-4A06-A279-3FEC8EAB327D.gif

They hit hard on the good old 'Poem of the Chinese Drum' track! A proper thud.

May 1, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #57,749 of 91,398
I am one of those people who uses a DAP only for on-the-go, and therefore size is important to me. I have an N7 and can (sort of) get by with it in that respect, although the ports being on the bottom of the unit continually irritates. I looked at alternates, and it seems near impossible to find a great sounding DAP to partner with high-tier IEMs that ISNT the size of a (smallish) brick. I have owned the N6ii twice now and I believe this to be one of the few exceptions to the rule, its portable and sounds great. It is an option to buy yet another unless you guys have a recommendation? Must have Tidal streaming. In all probability I will just get myself used to the bulk of the N7. I just wish the Lotoo LPGT had streaming, it would be utterly perfect.
I’m currently traveling and took the smallest DAP I have along, the M6 Ultra. Sounds great, works with my headphone too. And the port is at the top of the device.. :)

May 1, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #57,750 of 91,398
This is just complaining at the highest level
You are absolutely right! :upside_down:. After dropping €4K on a pair of IEMs, how dare they not be amazeballs.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, regarding Mentor, I’m not too well informed on the driver configuration, but was there some mention of the BCD being whole frequency rather then bass focused?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back