The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #55,142 of 88,395
I guess it is up to how you use it. I use NOS mode, and was happy with it as a small, portable player. I don't do critical analysis, but just have a subjective opinion on whether I like it or not. I look for immersive, emotive sound, with PRAT that can pull you in. The RS2 is not as good in those aspects as I would like, but I like it enough for a mobile, easy to carry solution.
I didn’t mentioned clearly. I was talking about the Hidizs AP80 Pro X that we mentioned the post before. Never heard the RS2 :dt880smile:

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #55,143 of 88,395
1. Phonix
2. Legend X
3. Traillii

Legend X with Code 23 is getting a lot of use at the moment.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #55,144 of 88,395
I hadn't really because the whole point of streaming is having everything you like available in one spot all at once without having to switch between players, etc. I have them on vinyl for when I just want to listen to them.
That was my initial thought, but over time I’ve started just buying some of my own stuff to have offline. There’s just been too many times when either I can’t get network, or the streaming app (usually Tidal) bugs cause issues.
Do you find that the sound form Apple music is really good?
On par with Tidal most of the time, it’s pretty great.
That...was a lot haha. I'd read part of that already online a few minutes ago. I kind of doubt that my DAP will rock Apple music at a good level, so I'm probably sticking with Tidal for now.
AM works great on my RS6, better for offline downloads than the flaky Tidal app, which often refuses to play downloaded albums until I’ve reconnected to wifi. Downloaded playlists work fine offline... I’ve seen this on the SR25 quite often as well, so it’s definitely some bugs in the Tidal Android app that they’ve not bothered to fix.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #55,145 of 88,395
I have a Mini, MSE and GM (and yes, I have a problem lol).

compare.jpg
Compare0.jpg

MSE has a touch more sub bass while the Mini has a slightly more forward upper bass tuning. I wouldn't necessarily say the Mini's upper bass is higher, but it has slightly scooped upper mids... the timbre is really good but they are a touch pushed back compared to MSE. This lends the perception of higher upper bass but also a bit thicker upper mids. In some ways this means the mini hits a bit harder, but it's at the expense of being a bit less U shaped and certainly less linear/accurate in upper mids and treble. The mini is undeniably relatively more colored in its tuning, but it's quite a pleasant tuning.

Maybe most importantly, the Mini is definitely able to deliver the magic experience of Fatfreq's Bass Cannon technology... you absolutely get the 'wow' bass experience with the Mini too.

The biggest caveat I have is that this epic bass is highly habit forming, indulge at your own risk!

+1

This is an excellent assessment.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #55,147 of 88,395
Results so far:

Mentor x11

Xe6 x10
Rn6 x10
Traillii x9
Storm x8
Trifecta x8
Ragnar x6
IER Z1R x6
Ronin x6

Phonix LE x5
Fibae 5 x5
Raven x5
Maestro SE x4
Alita x4
Singularity x4
Dio x3
Loak-TC x3
VE Red Prototype x3
a/u12t x3
Aure x3

SE846 x2
Odyssey x2
Kr5 x2
Jewel x2
EXT x2
Le Jardin x2
Mentawai x2
Neon Pro x2
Legend X x2
Legend Evo x2
FitEar DC Ti x2
Mason x2
Odin x2
Serial x2

Zeta
Basilica
Blanc
Fourte
A5000
9iNE
Nio
Khopesh
Grand Maestro
Mach60
Camelot
Svanar
MEST Mkii
Isabellae
Nemesis
K3003
IE800
Duo
Eden
Turii OG
Andromeda Emerald Sea
IER-M9
Duality
Tia Trio
Totem (bud)
Carbon (bud)
u18s
FH9
EDP Ace
Advar
AirPods
MH334SR
Red Halo
Mellianus
Eletech Prototype
LCDi4
Andromeda 2020
u4s
FitEar DC
FitEar C435
V16
Khan
Sound Rhyme SR5
Annihilator
Elysian X
ER2XR
ER4XR
DesTI
EST550
Mezzo LE
Euclid
Sultan
Diva
Indigo
Monarch II
Phonix OG

Keep the votes coming!

I'm rebellious these days. I'm on a mission to find mega-buck sound for sane prices. I believe I am succeeding.... :call_me:

Says the guy with an LP6 Ti :p

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #55,150 of 88,395
1. Alpha Ti
2. Ronin
3. Odin

Rn6 is looking from the outside, but I'm reluctant to put it into top 3 as I have mixed experiences (need to tip roll it more).

Odin > Raven just because of sound signature preferences, most people (I think) would prefer Raven and I respect that.

Special shoutout to U4s - very interesting IEMs to me, not top 3 material but I do wish to own one.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #55,151 of 88,395
Watercoolers, what 3 IEMs own your heart at this moment in time?

Penon Impact
Unique Melody Mext
Thor Mjolnir mk2

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more TOTL IEM's, I have a feeling that something from FatFreq will be exactly what I'm looking for.
  1. Sony IER-Z1R
  2. Acoustune HS2000MX "笙 SHO" Mk2
  3. Oriolus Szalayi
I'm pretty sure about the first two but #3 is really hard to pick.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #55,152 of 88,395
I'm going to agree with the guy that said 1. Yatono 8w; 2. Yatono 8w; 3. Yatono 8w.

But putting that aside...

1. Ronin. I feel like it doesn't get enough love -- it's the best "reference" all-rounder I've heard (with the Yatono; with the stock cable it's a bit warmer than reference).
2. Rn6. Best "fun" all-rounder. Super light & comfy, great Fir open-back-type soundstage, solid bass, crisp detailed treble. And a very acceptable stock cable.
3. Xe6. Certainly not for every genre, but always a fun listen when you want over-the-top bass with warm, lush mids.
Honorable mention to Ragnar for its extreme technicalities.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #55,153 of 88,395
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #55,154 of 88,395
I'm going to agree with the guy that said 1. Yatono 8w; 2. Yatono 8w; 3. Yatono 8w.

But putting that aside...

1. Ronin. I feel like it doesn't get enough love -- it's the best "reference" all-rounder I've heard (with the Yatono; with the stock cable it's a bit warmer than reference).
2. Rn6. Best "fun" all-rounder. Super light & comfy, great Fir open-back-type soundstage, solid bass, crisp detailed treble. And a very acceptable stock cable.
3. Xe6. Certainly not for every genre, but always a fun listen when you want over-the-top bass with warm, lush mids.
Honorable mention to Ragnar for its extreme technicalities.
I just can't see anything dethroning Ragnar, especially with rs8/brise Yatono IC 4.4/Tsuranagi/brise Yatono 8w/ragnar
Maybe the Elysian dio ?

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #55,155 of 88,395
Watercoolers, what 3 IEMs own your heart at this moment in time?

Penon Impact
Unique Melody Mext
Thor Mjolnir mk2

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more TOTL IEM's, I have a feeling that something from FatFreq will be exactly what I'm looking for.

U12T: open and airy with great staging and comfort
Hiby Zeta: a new find. Warm and moody with great bass quality and more detailed that what you might expect
Andromeda 2020: can't go wrong with the classic when it comes to soundstage imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back