The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 29, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #23,221 of 87,656
Capt Jack Sparrow 📈 #JusticeforJohnny #MegaPint
Screenshot_20220429-150826_Gallery.jpg

Love the house version:

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #23,222 of 87,656
Oh there are differences. Mostly because a lot of cables don't strictly completely adhere to standards. Which explains why some cables have difficulties establishing connections and so on. Or the device manufacturers don't abide by the standards on their ends.

But neither should have an impact on the digital payload.
Even with the established standards, not every USB -C cable is going to perform nicely. This is an issue when it comes to power delivery

Apr 29, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #23,224 of 87,656
I don't know whether you can hear differences in USB cable performance or not, but this test seems to indicate that differences do exist:

This particular rabbit hole is one I'm not really interested enough to invest in, but as ever YMMV.

Apr 29, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #23,225 of 87,656
jewel.jpeg

Received the demo Jewel from MusicTeck. Been listening to this thing for about 4 hours now and it's a very familiar type of sound so far in that it goes for a lean and clarity type of presentation like Odin. It's got really nice extension in the treble with plenty of air up top and light feeling. Treble is less crisp sounding than Odin. Instrument timbre seems to be a bit more "correct" than Odin. The midrange, vocals especially, are super nice and life-like, one of my favorite mids so far and comes close to Phonix which has my favorite mids. The bass quantity actually surprised me in how close it was to Odin, as I was expecting a bit more based on graphs, but I guess this may have to do with my Odin being a CIEM and so I don't perceive that much of a difference except slightly more mid-bass. Soundstage is a bit wider and deeper than Odin, and detail retrieval is similar although I'll give the edge to Odin still by a bit.

That's all I got for now. Oh, and forgive the horrific cable in the image, that was Aroma's idea, not mine. :wink: Seriously one of the worst cables I've ever felt and seen on an IEM.

I'll keep listening over the weekend and see how my thoughts change.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #23,226 of 87,656
jewel.jpeg

Received the demo Jewel from MusicTeck. Been listening to this thing for about 4 hours now and it's a very familiar type of sound so far in that it goes for a lean and clarity type of presentation like Odin. It's got really nice extension in the treble with plenty of air up top and light feeling. Treble is less crisp sounding than Odin. Instrument timbre seems to be a bit more "correct" than Odin. The midrange, vocals especially, are super nice and life-like, one of my favorite mids so far and comes close to Phonix which has my favorite mids. The bass quantity actually surprised me in how close it was to Odin, as I was expecting a bit more based on graphs, but I guess this may have to do with my Odin being a CIEM and so I don't perceive that much of a difference except slightly more mid-bass. Soundstage is a bit wider and deeper than Odin, and detail retrieval is similar although I'll give the edge to Odin still by a bit.

That's all I got for now. Oh, and forgive the horrific cable in the image, that was Aroma's idea, not mine. :wink: Seriously one of the worst cables I've ever felt and seen on an IEM.

I'll keep listening over the weekend and see how my thoughts change.
Definitely recommend swapping cables, it’s cable is really less then spectacular.

Apr 29, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #23,230 of 87,656
I'm sure Jewel II will have an excellent cable after all the negative feedback about the cable. Hopefully so atleast.
"To allow people to discover their own sound signature with the Jewel 2, we will not include a cable."

(That's the DC Ti's reason for not including a cable lol)

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #23,232 of 87,656
"To allow people to discover their own sound signature with the Jewel 2, we will not include a cable."

(That's the DC Ti's reason for not including a cable lol)
If Jewel’s price can be calibrated downwards without the cable, I’d happily take that option haha

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #23,233 of 87,656
How are the cooler gang with N8ii’s finding it with full size headphones? In particular, anyone tried it with the Meze Elite?

Off the topic of gear and onto some music, easing into the weekend with the new release from one of my favorite artists, Karen Elson, titled Green.

A little bit disjointed, sounds more like a collection of songs than an end-to-end album. Nonetheless, not analyzing too much, just kicking back and enjoying.
I have been listening quite a bit to full sized headphones with N8ii + C9. It is an outstanding desktop quality set up. It also does a great job driving IEMs that thrive with more power like EXT, X, IER-Z1R.

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #23,234 of 87,656
I have been listening quite a bit to full sized headphones with N8ii + C9. It is an outstanding desktop quality set up. It also does a great job driving IEMs that thrive with more power like EXT, X, IER-Z1R.

Have you shared any X impressions here yet?

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #23,235 of 87,656
If Jewel’s price can be calibrated downwards without the cable, I’d happily take that option haha
All i need are the left and right monitor in a little ear ring case. I don’t need anything else. No tips, no cable, nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back