The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #11,041 of 89,858
Guys and gals, my full review of the Vision Ears Phönix is now online here. Enjoy!

Phonix_02.jpg

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #11,042 of 89,858
I really want to try Fir Audio, a shame no option near me - especially as I'm so close to buying EXT and in similar $$$ territory.

@AlexanderBelonozhko - any chance of an EU tour?!
I will bring it up with our tour organizer. I'm sure it will happen, just a matter of time.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #11,043 of 89,858
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #11,044 of 89,858
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #11,046 of 89,858
Feb 5, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #11,048 of 89,858
Dune Blue might be able to give an idea on when those might arrive.

I actually reached out a few months ago to Dune Blue regarding the previous Fir Audio line up, they were indeed very helpful and suggested a demo unit with a refundable deposit - I can't recall the value now but naturally, it was a high percentage. I must give them a shout regarding this new range 👍

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #11,049 of 89,858
I actually reached out a few months ago to Dune Blue regarding the previous Fir Audio line up, they were indeed very helpful and suggested a demo unit with a refundable deposit - I can't recall the value now but naturally, it was a high percentage. I must give them a shout regarding this new range 👍

It’s a good idea to get a demo for a couple of days, especially for the XE6 because it’s an IEM that will take some time to adjust to.

I don’t think a 10 minute listen at CanJam for example is a good idea.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #11,050 of 89,858
Dune Blue might be able to give an idea on when those might arrive.
Got a reply from them already. They expect to have them at the end of Feb :thumbsup:

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #11,051 of 89,858
In the midst of a super busy stretch at work & uni and it's hard to stay caught up to this thread lol

Just unFing believable !! Have never heard that quality of sound from any IEM. Not even close. Did not use any of my fancy DAPs. Just used my RU6 dongle out of my Apple Mini. Everything sounded live. Just a PWA FT cable and EXT. This first listen after a week of break in.Rocky, you are in for a treat!!

Yup. My dream IEM...probably the first one I've heard that leaves absolutely nothing wanting from me tonally or technically...EXT really is a manifestation of all my IEM dreams lol

As my night comes to a close, I've ended up on a track that was probably largely responsible for my ultimate love for electronic music. As a kid, I was sometimes allowed stay up to watch Miami Vice - I loved the theme tune, and hearing it now puts shivers through me and a tear to the eye. I had a Yamaha keyboard in the late 80s and this was one I could play, I never learned to read music but loved to play by ear. Seems so long ago now!

Nice. If you have access to it check out the documentary 808 (it's on Netflix I think)-- it tells the story of the TR 808 drum machine and how it revolutionized hip hop and electronic music in the 80s. Very enjoyable and nostalgic.

In other news two three years ago this week I took my first step into the rabbit hole of high end audio with the CFA Atlas:

20190209_090141.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #11,052 of 89,858
In the midst of a super busy stretch at work & uni and it's hard to stay caught up to this thread lol

Yup. My dream IEM...probably the first one I've heard that leaves absolutely nothing wanting from me tonally or technically...EXT really is a manifestation of all my IEM dreams lol

Nice. If you have access to it check out the documentary 808 (it's on Netflix I think)-- it tells the story of the TR 808 drum machine and how it revolutionized hip hop and electronic music in the 80s. Very enjoyable and nostalgic.

In other news two years ago this week I took my first step into the rabbit hole of high end audio with the CFA Atlas:

20190209_090141.jpg
2 years?! You’re a baby still!

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #11,053 of 89,858
Spent Saturday getting acquainted with EXT - tip and cable rolling.

Tips - CP500 tips provides a more comfortable fit with deeper insertion - didn't feel like I was earring EXTs. CP500s opened up the soundstage, airy but with a loss in visceral bass. They were super easy to slip on due to the more flexible "stem" - I would use the other "s" word but it sounds a bit graphic LOL. Went back to Crystals - good synergy, a little easier to slip than before ("stem" is pretty rigid), shallower insertion, and can definitely tell I'm wearing EXTs.

Cable - VE EXT comes with a great stock 8 wire cable but boo 2.5mm and I'm not a fan of adapters, LOL. Rolled my favorite cable and bae, Eletech P8 Plato x Socrates. If you enjoyed EXT's bass and sub-bass, P8 PxS adds even more textural bass and sub-bass extension punch and rumble without ruining existing tuning; details are slightly more noticeable; soundstage sounds slightly deeper and wider than VE EXT stock 8-wire cable but not a night-and-day difference; mids and treble are smooth, crisp and revealing. P8 PxS augments all of EXTs great qualities and adds more bass extension. I dare say my EVOs are shocked.

Tennyson's "Feelwitchu" is my favorite bass and sub-bass track for testing. VE EXT stock 8-wire cable = phenomenal bass / P8 PxS = takes existing bass, adds more quality extension that tickles my ear drums, LOL.

IMG_3971.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #11,054 of 89,858
Spent Saturday getting acquainted with EXT - tip and cable rolling.

Tips - CP500 tips provides a more comfortable fit with deeper insertion - didn't feel like I was earring EXTs. CP500s opened up the soundstage, airy but with a loss in visceral bass. They were super easy to slip on due to the more flexible "stem" - I would use the other "s" word but it sounds a bit graphic LOL. Went back to Crystals - good synergy, a little easier to slip than before ("stem" is pretty rigid), shallower insertion, and can definitely tell I'm wearing EXTs.

Cable - VE EXT comes with a great stock 8 wire cable but boo 2.5mm and I'm not a fan of adapters, LOL. Rolled my favorite cable and bae, Eletech P8 Plato x Socrates. If you enjoyed EXT's bass and sub-bass, P8 PxS adds even more textural bass and sub-bass extension punch and rumble without ruining existing tuning; details are slightly more noticeable; soundstage sounds slightly deeper and wider than VE EXT stock 8-wire cable but not a night-and-day difference; mids and treble are smooth, crisp and revealing. P8 PxS augments all of EXTs great qualities and adds more bass extension. I dare say my EVOs would be shocked.

Tennyson's "Feelwitchu" is my favorite bass and sub-bass track for testing. VE EXT stock 8-wire cable = phenomenal bass / P8 PxS = takes existing bass, adds more quality extension that tickles my ear drums, LOL.

Man that purple is so damn classy.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #11,055 of 89,858
Man that purple is so damn classy looking.
Ja, it's quite the looker.

I did share a tragically funny story with Jonas at VE that happened two nights ago when my sister and 4-year old niece came over for dinner. While cooking Thai 5-spiced pork for dinner, my little adorable mischievous little niece decided to amuse herself.

00.06-1.jpg

She loves playing air hockey and decided to my EXT case as a hockey puck on the granite floor.

I'll stop here and let you imagine my reaction.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back