The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 6, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #11,071 of 91,343
I was listening the MEXT and Indigo yesterday with RS6. As soon as I listened to Indigo with RS6, I stopped switching. It is a sublime pairing. The RS6 has become my favorite DAP. 3 months ago I did not know the difference between R2R v. Delta Sigma DACs. After my experience with the RU6 and RS6, it's R2R or bust for me. As much as I love my Hugo TT2, I am seriously thinking about auditioning a Holo May as big as that monster is.
The Spring 3 is half the size and price but may :) be better value for money and space than the May.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #11,072 of 91,343
The Spring 3 is half the size and price but may :) be better value for money and space than the May.
Good point. I should listen to both and then choose.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #11,073 of 91,343
Moving to the cheap seats. A couple of months ago, I was looking at our sponsors lines that they carry. When I got to Apos, I found several desirable products that were inexpensive. I ordered a little tube integrated amp that was Class A but tube preamp. As some of you know, One of my ears hears better than the other. Please note the dual volume pots.
tempImageFCHsNE.png
tempImageTNFjC2.png
I am an old duffer. I looked around and found a tube rolling article specific to the little amp.
Amp arrived yesterday and is up and running this afternoon. Sounds like my DNA Stratus. No jucy notes from either of them.
You will not believe what I paid. Tubes are cheap too. This is a good sounding BALANCED amp. It even has a 4.4 input and output. Amp is Xduoo MT-604.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #11,074 of 91,343
I was listening the MEXT and Indigo yesterday with RS6. As soon as I listened to Indigo with RS6, I stopped switching. It is a sublime pairing. The RS6 has become my favorite DAP. 3 months ago I did not know the difference between R2R v. Delta Sigma DACs. After my experience with the RU6 and RS6, it's R2R or bust for me. As much as I love my Hugo TT2, I am seriously thinking about auditioning a Holo May as big as that monster is.
If you're serious about desktop R2R, a few more options:

https://www.denafrips.com/terminator

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/R7HE/R7HEEN.htm

The Rabbit Hole is deeeep, my friend.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #11,075 of 91,343
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #11,077 of 91,343
Why do you think I ditched the desktop? Not that it's getting any easier in PortaLand! 😅
I just read your Gryphon review and in your conclusions you seemed to indicate that you like the Gryphon more than your RS6. Is that true?

In reading the initial impressions of the RS6, I didn't think it would be for me. Now, it's so important to me and my portable listening. I can listen to it standalone or pair with the C9 to get better sound quality or with the WA8 to get a tube sound. I have been sorely disappointed by Bluetooth over the years, so it's hard for me to fathom it being able to replace wired for me.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #11,078 of 91,343
Enjoying an old favorite through the Dorado 2020 + SR25ii this afternoon.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #11,079 of 91,343
I just read your Gryphon review and in your conclusions you seemed to indicate that you like the Gryphon more than your RS6. Is that true?

In reading the initial impressions of the RS6, I didn't think it would be for me. Now, it's so important to me and my portable listening. I can listen to it standalone or pair with the C9 to get better sound quality or with the WA8 to get a tube sound. I have been sorely disappointed by Bluetooth over the years, so it's hard for me to fathom it being able to replace wired for me.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better. It's 'cleaner' in that the sound is slightly more linear and neutral, and it's also more powerful, plus XBass and Xspace can both add a touch of DSP as and when required. But it's more a different flavour than anything else, and I like using the two in combination (with RS6 as source) to get a bit more power and a different flavour when I want it. Also, ifi uses a hybrid multibit DAC, so there's a touch of 'R2R' flavour in the hardware and tuning (though not to the extent of RS6 of course).

As for BT, it can't quite replace wired quality, but with Gryphon and LDAC, for casual listening and streaming, it's damn close!

Depending on what Sony announces this week, my next DAP is likely going to be a flagshiip Android R2R DAC from HiBy or Cayin (or A&K if the early rumours are true).

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #11,080 of 91,343
I am also very much enjoying this stream on consciousness and impressions.

I am really looking forward to this new album from Jean-Michel Blais entitle “Aubades.” Being released by Arts&Crafts one of my favourite labels. https://jeanmichelblais.com/

aubades, the new album from post-classical piano icon Jean-Michel Blais, marks the Montreal-born musician’s transition from pianist to composer, as he writes for an ensemble for the first time in his career. Written during the pandemic and following a breakup, Blais has used his distinctive musical voice to create a defiantly uplifting record with glistening instrumental textures and warm major tonalities. The album’s title refers to the “aubade”, a Middle Ages morning love song about lovers separating at daybreak, a dawn serenade.

Despite the difficult global and personal backdrop, Blais described the time writing this album as a “fruitful moment of creativity for me. We started having hares in the park, beautiful butterflies flying everywhere. It was a time of lots of blossoming, and also a moment when I blossomed from being a pianist into a composer.” Musical ideas captured in over 500 recorded piano improvisations were transformed by Blais into 11 compositions performed by a 12-person ensemble. During the composition process, Blais collaborated with Alex Weston, former music assistant to Philip Glass. The musicians were recorded with close-up microphones, creating a richly intimate atmosphere that captures the human behind each instrument, from the mechanics of the woodwind keys to the snap of a double bass string.”

Qobuz suggested this album to me and I'm listening to it now. DX312, Eletech Plato, U12T with MX and sedna light tips. Very nice indeed. If you have similar suggestions I'm all ears.. :ksc75smile:

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #11,081 of 91,343
Qobuz suggested this album to me and I'm listening to it now. DX312, Eletech Plato, U12T with MX and sedna light tips. Very nice indeed. If you have similar suggestions I'm all ears.. :ksc75smile:
I see you switched to the Amp 12. How do you like it relative to Amp 11?

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #11,082 of 91,343
I see you switched to the Amp 12. How do you like it relative to Amp 11?
I've been on amp 12 pretty much since it came out. It's great but I loved amp 11.1 as well. I think I'll switch back this week to try that one again.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #11,083 of 91,343
Enjoying an old favorite through the Dorado 2020 + SR25ii this afternoon.

Amazing track... the Slam remix made it a regular feature in a Dublin club in the mid 90s, still raises hairs for me all these years later - around 8.24 in this full mix before it explodes, absolutely in my top 20 clubbing tracks of all time! On a side note, that One Dove album really should have had more attention than it did - it had the same golden touch from Mr Weatherall as Screamadelica but never the same popularity, clearly as One Dove less known than Primal Scream.

Anyway...

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #11,084 of 91,343
You are becoming the Audio Product gateway to Canada.

Lol not quite...I'm grateful to be performing a service to the hobby and to fellow hobbyiests.

What a great way to get a chance to hear everything.

And this too :)

On a side note, that One Dove album really should have had more attention than it did - it had the same golden touch from Mr Weatherall as Screamadelica but never the same popularity, clearly as One Dove less known than Primal Scream.

From a pure nostalgia standpoint One Dove's lonely effort is one of my favorite albums of the 90s. I'd always heard they were going to do a followup but it never materialized. Thanks for the share-- I'm always down to hear obscure mixes or versions of those songs. Here is the original mix of Sirens when it was sent in as a demo:

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #11,085 of 91,343
Depending on what Sony announces this week, my next DAP is likely going to be a flagshiip Android R2R DAC from HiBy or Cayin (or A&K if the early rumours are true).
So Sony is about to reveal new releases? Interesting. Hiby also releasing something? Or just guessing so far?

Also looking at your recent source purchases i thought you are done with flagship daps?
So i take it you just like R2R but want to step it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back