The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #11,011 of 91,349
Z1R is one I am still so curious about and might actually take the plunge if EXT doesn't wow me. I really, really, really want to start exercising discipline though now - next one is the last for a while!!! Oh and of course, what will Sony have to say on the 9th...

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #11,012 of 91,349
I'm loving reading so many impressions of EXT, especially knowing I'll get to hear them in a few weeks myself. I will really need to be blown away by them though to buy on the day!
You at least have the Bird to compare. Don't forget to take the Bird and your best DAP with you to VE. It may blow you away, but I don't think so since you have the Bird.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #11,013 of 91,349
Have you ever shared a list of your favorite female vocalists anywhere?
No, but you've given me a great idea for an article. I was thinking how we're constantly 'blown away' by this or that IEM, and was consciously taking note of how a particular track that was playing on the Reb album was sounding very special with Phönix. I then realised it was my favourite track in the album, and I hadn't heard it for a while. I also remember how special it sounded when I first heard it...with a pair of $300 Sony XM4's during a plane flight. Which then got me thinking: how much of the emotion we feel for a great song do we actually attribute, consciously or subconsciously, to the IEM we're using at the time? I mean sure, Phönix is a great IEM, but does it make that song sound mind-blowingly better than the Sony? Or more fairly, one of the three other kilobuck IEMs on my bedstand, or the MEXT that @Scuba Devils is honeymooning with, or the FH9, Dark Sky, Zen Pro? I bet you not as much as we give them credit for...

...and to answer your question, I'll put a list together, along with some 'favourite tracks' from each artist.
I'm loving reading so many impressions of EXT, especially knowing I'll get to hear them in a few weeks myself. I will really need to be blown away by them though to buy on the day!
Take another couple of IEMs you love, and when you hear a really good track with EXT, play it back with one of your other faves. In isolation we can easily convince ourselves that this is 'the best ever' but more often than not we're just reacting to an emotional connection with the music and allowing ourselves to be swept up in it. I'm not discounting the occasional and very real lightning bolt when you hear a truly special IEM for the first time, just advocating for prudence in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #11,014 of 91,349
Take another couple of IEMs you love, and when you hear a really good track with EXT, play it back with one of your other faves. In isolation we can easily convince ourselves that this is 'the best ever' but more often than not we're just reacting to an emotional connection with the music and allowing ourselves to be swept up in it. I'm not discounting the occasional and very real lightning bolt when you hear a truly special IEM for the first time, just advocating for prudence in the heat of the moment.

Yeah planning to bring Traillii, MEXT, and IE900 and definitely allowing a good amount of time, assuming VE allow, to really compare. I certainly have 'happy ears', and easily fall into that trap of being swept up, especially if they connect more/faster with the heart than the head.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #11,015 of 91,349
No, but you've given me a great idea for an article. I was thinking how we're constantly 'blown away' by this or that IEM, and was consciously taking note of how a particular track that was playing on the Reb album was sounding very special with Phönix. I then realised it was my favourite track in the album, and I hadn't heard it for a while. I also remember how special it sounded when I first heard it...with a pair of $300 Sony XM4's during a plane flight. Which then got me thinking: how much of the emotion we feel for a great song do we actually attribute, consciously or subconsciously, to the IEM we're using at the time? I mean sure, Phönix is a great IEM, but does it make that song sound mind-blowingly better than the Sony? Or more fairly, one of the three other kilobuck IEMs on my bedstand, or the MEXT that @Scuba Devils is honeymooning with, or the FH9, Dark Sky, Zen Pro? I bet you not as much as we give them credit for...

...and to answer your question, I'll put a list together, along with some 'favourite tracks' from each artist.

Super, that would be great as it also helps get a better understanding of what you appreciate in music and how that plays out in your preferences and description of IEMs (we also get a curated list of new music to enjoy so win-win!).

With regard to the other points you were speaking about, the magic for me happens when you stop thinking about the IEM and get lost in the music and that is especially so when listening to music you have some emotional or historical connection to.

It would be hard for me to sit here and talk about individual things that Phonix really stands out in but the magic for me is in those IEMs is that I can sit back, put on a tune and just enjoy it without my attention being drawn to some part of the tuning etc that I hoped would be better. It doesn't work for every genre and I do love DD bass too, but for certain music, it is as good as it gets.

I struggle to find new music that I enjoy, part of the reason I asked you had you created a list, so I tend to know a lot of my favourite music very well and that is what used to test new IEMs. I have a connection to that music but it still takes a special set of IEMs to make that music stand out or to create an experience that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up so I think there is more than just the connection to that music. It's certainly an interesting topic though.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #11,016 of 91,349
With regard to the other points you were speaking about, the magic for me happens when you stop thinking about the IEM and get lost in the music and that is especially so when listening to music you have some emotional or historical connection to.

It would be hard for me to sit here and talk about individual things that Phonix really stands out in but the magic for me is in those IEMs is that I can sit back, put on a tune and just enjoy it without my attention being drawn to some part of the tuning etc that I hoped would be better. It doesn't work for every genre and I do love DD bass too, but for certain music, it is as good as it gets.

I agree with all of this. There are so many IEMs out there that when you listen to them you end up focusing more about what the IEM is doing rather than actually enjoying your own music.

The Phonix is definitely a plug and play type IEM imo and I agree the bass won't work for anyone.

I struggle to find new music that I enjoy, part of the reason I asked you had you created a list, so I tend to know a lot of my favourite music very well and that is what used to test new IEMs. I have a connection to that music but it still takes a special set of IEMs to make that music stand out or to create an experience that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up so I think there is more than just the connection to that music. It's certainly an interesting topic though.

This is me 110%. I listen to years old tracks more than I do newer stuff. The FiR XE6 for me has brought new life to so many of these tracks, the way I am enjoying these right now I'd go as far as saying they may be my favorite IEM of all time for pure musical enjoyment.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #11,017 of 91,349
Yeah planning to bring Traillii, MEXT, and IE900 and definitely allowing a good amount of time, assuming VE allow, to really compare. I certainly have 'happy ears', and easily fall into that trap of being swept up, especially if they connect more/faster with the heart than the head.
I am the same way. I can usually find something I like about an IEM which is why my collection keeps growing.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #11,018 of 91,349
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #11,019 of 91,349
I am the same way. I can usually find something I like about an IEM which is why my collection keeps growing.

Yeah I really can't see how I can sell anything I own now, there is something I love about each of them in various ways.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #11,020 of 91,349
I am next in line for the EXT and Phonix in the Audio tiers tour. I can't wait to hear them.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #11,021 of 91,349
Yeah I really can't see how I can sell anything I own now, there is something I love about each of them in various ways.
I literally just decided to buy another case for more IEMs. I am selling them, but not as fast as I am acquiring them.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #11,022 of 91,349
This is me 110%. I listen to years old tracks more than I do newer stuff. The FiR XE6 for me has brought new life to so many of these tracks, the way I am enjoying these right now I'd go as far as saying they may be my favorite IEM of all time for pure musical enjoyment.
That is a huge statement. I've got to hear it now. Pretty sure I'll get a chance at CanJam NYC

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #11,023 of 91,349
Spotify and Tidal track radio have solved music discovery for me. They always mix in a lot of my favorites with new songs that I end up liking. So, my favorites collection is actually growing because of it.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #11,024 of 91,349
I agree with this idea which is why I keep a larger collection. I can rotate them frequently to net out the various biases. I find that it tends to net out the biases over time and I am left with what I actually like the most.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #11,025 of 91,349
Spotify and Tidal track radio have solved music discovery for me. They always mix in a lot of my favorites with new songs that I end up liking. So, my favorites collection is actually growing because of it.
You recommended that to me before and I have been trying it. Hits and misses but I have found some gems so thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back