The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #8,806 of 87,652
M6 Pro 21, M8 and M9. You know you have been screwed when whatever it is comes in a nice wooden box.

I am an absolute sucker for wooden box presentation! One of the many reasons I'm attracted to Aroma Audio, having seen the wonderful pictures from @Xinlisupreme

I'm a bit of a watch fan too and love some of the wooden box presentations used. Thankfully I can't afford both so my watch collection remains countable on one hand, excluding the thumb...

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #8,807 of 87,652
So I have gone totally YOLO for the end of 2021... here comes the Pro iCAN Signature :heartbeat:
M17 got me into flagship headphone territory getting the Stealth, and now I couldn't resist going all the way... getting to know the Pro ICAN and burning it in...

First impressions are great, the Stealth benefit from the added authority but also I confirm that M17 in desktop mode does a mighty great job already driving Stealth... of course this is another territory yet and I have two Tube modes handy.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #8,808 of 87,652
I have 3 Omegas and two Seikos. That is it for me too.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #8,809 of 87,652
Last Pics I promise. Size is just a bit bigger than M8. This is a Ibasso DX 300 Max and Hiby R8 competitor .
tempImagezCcSqZ.png
tempImage04nwzZ.png

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #8,810 of 87,652
....my watch collection remains countable on one hand, excluding the thumb...
....mine on one wrist! Another expensive hobby/ rabbit hole I don't need to travel down :)

I liked the wooden box that the SP2K came in but I couldn't help feeling that it was just added in to justify charging so much. If we put it in a wooden box it will seem more expensive type mantra.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #8,812 of 87,652
I am an absolute sucker for wooden box presentation! One of the many reasons I'm attracted to Aroma Audio, having seen the wonderful pictures from @Xinlisupreme

I'm a bit of a watch fan too and love some of the wooden box presentations used. Thankfully I can't afford both so my watch collection remains countable on one hand, excluding the thumb...
I just figured how to get some use out of the pretty box. Scubi inspired me by bringing it up. It will go nicely on top of my chest of drawers as a case for my watches.

On another note, the M9 impressions for the non believers in breakin. It sounded a touch warm, like the M8. This is not a bad thing. Used Senn HD 660 S . Will reset the time date info on it then breakin begins.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #8,813 of 87,652
I have this document (attached) open in front of me to reference at the moment, shared earlier in this thread I think by @drftr - excellent resource.

1640865283654.png
I feel what is somehow missing from his definition is time or speed: If the time between the quietest and loudest passage is 10 seconds we don't necessarily experience it as dynamic but just that it's getting very loud. While if it's 0.1 second then the sudden change in SPL is perceived as dynamic. If a competitor measures 0.2 seconds instead we probably perceive it as being slow. Mind you, although in dynamics faster is always better (as in more life like) it doesn't always make for a nicer listening experience as it can get uncomfortable and distracting.

drftr

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #8,814 of 87,652

It's funny how many 80s movies in retrospect come off as cold war propaganda...it's also remarkable to me how many film scores of that era (and others) absolutely transcend the films they're in. I listed a couple examples in the Bond canon but there are others...Jerry Goldsmith in particular had a penchant for producing absolutely incredible music for rather forgettable or outright bad movies.

I think it was the Ti and Solaris that sounded the best to me.

One of these days I'll wind up with a R2R dap and I'll probably have to procure another Solaris at that point for nostalgia's sake and also to hear it through R2R. That IEM set the bar for me in terms of balanced sound.

Yes!!! Just a few from my collection:

My dad had a cassette tape of Morricone western themes he took in the car during long road trips, and as a kid I remember playing it in repeat without ever having watched most of the movies the music was from. Which segways into...

Sadly some people who don't connect with film miss out on some of the greatest music ever made, for screen or otherwise. There are soundtracks that transcend the screen with their brilliance (Dances With Wolves, The Last Mohican, Gladiator...), and there are artists that produce film music that's not even attached to films (Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps From Hell, audiomachine...). For me, as a film enthusiast first and foremost, my love for music is inextricably tied to my love for film. When a certain piece of music connects you to an emotional moment in film, the combination of the two transcends what either one is able to achieve alone. Even a few piano keys (Max Richter's 'My Brilliant Friend') can evoke such a swell of emotion once you've seen the series, that even when heard on its own, that emotional connection is unshakable. Selling the music short because it's attached to film, for me, misses the point completely.

+1 to all this. Two Steps From Hell is an interesting case. I put one of their tracks on my iPod...I forget which one...without really knowing who they were. I was out and about on my bike that day listening to music and the song came on and it just, if you'll forgive me, grabbed me by the balls with its epic grandeur and sweep and I had to pull over and just let the song own me for 2-3 minutes...incredible stuff. It turns out they specialize in music for movie trailers which my definition needs to totally grab, absorb and move you in a very brief amount of time.

I should write a post about my multi-gigabyte collection of film scores, epic and trailer music one day. I think I shared some with @Damz87 a while back, so I can hunt that down if anyone's interested.

Heck yes!

Listening to Michael Jackson Number Ones tonight with EE Legend EVO.

No artist more exemplifies to me the intention of Legend EVO than Michael Jackson. The EVO is perfectly tuned for his music.

When you hear "Dirty Diana" on the Legend EVO you understand just how perfect its tuning is for Movie Soundtracks. It's like listening to one of those THX trailers in a movie theatre.

I grew up with Michael Jackson as I first listened to him singing "I Want You Back" with the Jackson 5 and looked forward to watching Jackson 5 cartoon on Saturday mornings

I was in college when Michael Jackson Thriller came out and he became a worldwide sensation and Moon Walked to "Billie Jean" for the first time on the Motown 25

And then the 30th Anniversary celebration with my favorite Michael Jackson live performance "The Way You Make Me Feel"

And Captain EO at EPCOT Center is Disney World with "Another Part of Me"

Excellent...I've always got time for MJ. A particular highlight on all the CFA IEMs I've owned.

Adding film discussion to The Watercooler is something I'd be keen to see as well. Fun fact: I used to run a short-lived movie review blog before I ever got on Head-Fi or THL. Looking back, it definitely isn't my best work; not by a mile. :D But. it was good practice, and I do love movies about as much as I love audio. I sure talk about them more often, but that's mostly because there are more people in my life who know what a movie is vs. what treble peak is responsible for that hushing you're hearing in the back of your mix. :p

Amen-- this is after all the place where nothing is "off topic". It's nice to see so many of us whose passion for music is indelibly linked to our passion for film.

I have always heard Dynamics referred to as Macro Dynamics and Micro Dynamics. That said another word that has been explained to me as part of clarification, was Transients as they refer to the Sound Reproduction Dynamics.

Dynamics to me is also a differentiator for the various sources of the amplification as well as the transducers, and I think this has a lot to do with the synergy we prefer with a transducer set. Alas there are many factors at play here.

Macro dynamics refers to the song as a whole and specifically the transitions from quiet to thunderous.

Micro dynamics refers to the transients which are short in duration and can be where we would hear for example punch, when there is a quick change in volume or a quick change in frequencies. Drums and percussion are the trickiest part of the music for the sound engineer to optimize the micro dynamics.

Transients is defined simply as lasting only for a short time.

In reading the couple posts here about Dynamics they are all different ways to say basically the same.

I am no expert and if I am not understanding this correctly I will not be offended if any of you know better.

Great explanation thanks for sharing.

If I were to make it as succinct and visual as possible, dynamics to me refer to how far and how cleanly a note can leap off of its background. When a note is capable of jumping out at you with power and slam, then the entire chain (from source, to transducer, to track) is exhibiting strong dynamics. It's achieved both tonally and technically. A contrast-y tonality - v-shapes, w-shapes - have an inherent advantage because of how explosive and punchy those FRs tend to sound. Technically, a quick, clean transient attack and a crisp, black background to leap off of both contribute towards dynamics too. Then, the quality that tops it all off would be control; being able to go quiet when the track demands, and only being dynamic or explosive when appropriate. So, you really feel it when the latter occurs.

Micro-dynamics to me refer to how much tinier, individual details can pop within the ensemble. So, when you're listening to an orchestra, and the IEM is capable of making the little chimes or ride hits in the background pop and catch your ear, then the IEM has strong micro-dynamics. The opposite would be where those little details blend into the background and go unnoticed. Whereas, macro-dynamics is a measure of how powerful, impactful and moving the soundscape as a whole can be. When I talk about, say, the Jolene having this big, arena-sized, PA-system-like sound, that would be what I'm referring to. An IEM with great macro-dynamics should sound almost "empty" if the track itself is being quiet, then adaptably ramp up, fill up and roar when the track reaches its climax. Those are dynamics in a nutshell to me.

Clear and succint as always...thanks for sharing!

You know you have been screwed when whatever it is comes in a nice wooden box.

LMAO...it was a nice touch with the M8 but really who cares it's been in my closet since the day I got it. Maybe I should use it for something else as it's pretty clear I'm never selling my M8.

Since we all love lists...curious for everyone's favorite films. No need to be too serious or artsy-- just movies that mean a lot to you for whatever reason. No particular order really.

1) Cloud Atlas --> vastly underrated upon release and benefits a lot from re-watches. Epic, moving, deep, philosophical and unique. My favorite movie.
2) Return of the Jedi -> The whole OT really but this was the first movie I saw on a big screen as a child and I've never been the same since.
3) Titanic -> I know I know but this is a masterful piece of epic storytelling that deserves all the hype it gets.
4) Once Upon a Time in America -> My favorite Leone
5) The Incredibles -> Everything about this movie is perfect
6) Spirited Away -> I was living in Japan when this came out-- enchanting from start to finish
7) On Her Majesty's Secret Service ->. I'll always have a soft spot for early 007 and this one's my favorite.
8) Dances With Wolves -> Totally re-shaped my perspective on Native Americans and probably had some influence on my eventual career trajectory
9) Kung Fu Hustle -> Bruce Lee meets Looney Tunes-- flawlessly executed.
10) The Big Lebowski -> Possibly my favorite comedy and one I'll never tire of watching
11) Schindler's List -> One of those movies you only need to see once...but you need to see it.
12) Isle of Dogs -> I had to include a Wes Anderson movie and this one is my current fave
13) Master and Commander -> Possibly the greatest pure adventure movie ever made
14) JFK - Oliver Stone's masterpiece and one that opened my eyes to the truth of Nov 22, 1963
15) Monty Python's The Life of Brian -> possibly the most brilliant piece of social satire ever

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #8,815 of 87,652
It's funny how many 80s movies in retrospect come off as cold war propaganda...it's also remarkable to me how many film scores of that era (and others) absolutely transcend the films they're in. I listed a couple examples in the Bond canon but there are others...Jerry Goldsmith in particular had a penchant for producing absolutely incredible music for rather forgettable or outright bad movies.

One of these days I'll wind up with a R2R dap and I'll probably have to procure another Solaris at that point for nostalgia's sake and also to hear it through R2R. That IEM set the bar for me in terms of balanced sound.

+1 to all this. Two Steps From Hell is an interesting case. I put one of their tracks on my iPod...I forget which one...without really knowing who they were. I was out and about on my bike that day listening to music and the song came on and it just, if you'll forgive me, grabbed me by the balls with its epic grandeur and sweep and I had to pull over and just let the song own me for 2-3 minutes...incredible stuff. It turns out they specialize in music for movie trailers which my definition needs to totally grab, absorb and move you in a very brief amount of time.

Heck yes!

Excellent...I've always got time for MJ. A particular highlight on all the CFA IEMs I've owned.

Amen-- this is after all the place where nothing is "off topic". It's nice to see so many of us whose passion for music is indelibly linked to our passion for film.

Great explanation thanks for sharing.

Clear and succint as always...thanks for sharing!

LMAO...it was a nice touch with the M8 but really who cares it's been in my closet since the day I got it. Maybe I should use it for something else as it's pretty clear I'm never selling my M8.

Since we all love lists...curious for everyone's favorite films. No need to be too serious or artsy-- just movies that mean a lot to you for whatever reason. No particular order really.

1) Clout Atlas --> vastly underrated upon release and benefits a lot from re-watches. Epic, moving, deep, philosophical and unique. My favorite movie.
2) Return of the Jedi -> The whole OT really but this was the first movie I saw on a big screen as a child and I've never been the same since.
3) Titanic -> I know I know but this is a masterful piece of epic storytelling that deserves all the hype it gets.
6) Spirited Away -> I was living in Japan when this came out-- enchanting from start to finish
7) On Her Majesty's Secret Service ->. I'll always have a soft spot for early 007 and this one's my favorite.
8) Dances With Wolves -> Totally re-shaped my perspective on Native Americans and probably had some influence on my eventual career trajectory
10) The Big Lebowski -> Possibly my favorite comedy and one I'll never tire of watching
11) Schindler's List -> One of those movies you only need to see once...but you need to see it.
12) Isle of Dogs -> I had to include a Wes Anderson movie and this one is my current fave
13) Master and Commander -> Possibly the greatest pure adventure movie ever made
14) JFK - Oliver Stone's masterpiece and one that opened my eyes to the truth of Nov 22, 1963
15) Monty Python's The Life of Brian -> possibly the most brilliant piece of social satire ever
This is a good one. In no particular order, these are some of my favourites:

2001 A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather 1&2
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring
A Serious Man
The Big Lebowski
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Joker
A.I Artificial Intelligence
Catch Me If You Can
Departed
Schindler's List
The Colour of Paradise
Close-Up
City of God
Barry Lyndon
La Vita è Bella
Inglorious Bastards
Babel
Amélie
Amour
Le Diner des Cons
La Grande Vadrouille

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #8,816 of 87,652
Oh yes, happy to contribute a list of movies - some off the top of my head that are special to me for one reason or another... in no order.
  • Pans Labyrinth
  • Big Fish
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Papillon (the original)
  • Interstellar
  • 2001 A Space Odyssey
  • Contact
  • ET
  • Star Wars Trilogy
  • The Big Short
  • Terminator 2
  • The Abyss
  • Superman 1-3
  • The Life of Brian - agreed @Rockwell75 - one of the funniest movies ever made, comic genius.
I also love war, cowboy, martial arts, and Bond movies but that would take more time to consider! Oh and I have a thing for mindless revenge style movies too...

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #8,817 of 87,652

1) Cloud Atlas --> vastly underrated upon release and benefits a lot from re-watches. Epic, moving, deep, philosophical and unique. My favorite movie.
Interesting about cloud atlas. I watched it once a while ago. It was fine, but the slow pace and jumping back and forth between time periods made it all just feel like it was maybe not quite tight enough as an experience. Definitely time for a rewatch.

Also that knife throwing scene in kung fu hustle... pure comedy gold.

Master and Commander is also an incredible movie and incredibly underrated.

As for a list for me... lets see. Number 1 is easy.

1. Hot Fuzz - Just everything about this movie is absolutely perfect. The parody/satire is perfect, without being the only focus of the movie. The build up to the action at the end, and some of the thwarting of expectations. Just seriously a perfectly executed movie in my mind. The whole 3 flavors cornetto trilogy is excellent, with shaun of the dead close behind, but worlds end a bit farther back.

After that, giving ranks to any movies in particular becomes incredibly difficult.

Some war movies I like that were great:
- Saving Private Ryan
- Band of Brother and the Pacific (I am counting these even though they are miniseries)

Im a huge nerd, so I enjoy lots of sci fi, though overall, I seem to enjoy longer form sci fi more, so tv shows are usually my preference
- Star Trek, with wrath of khan and first contact being my favorites. Honorable mention for Galaxy Quest, which is great, and definitely a star trek movie, uh huh.
- Star Wars movies are tons of fun, though hard to nail a favorite, likely empire or return of the jedi, though I was born a bit too late to actually see any of the originals in theaters. First one I saw in theaters was phantom menace, which... meh.
- The Fifth Element. So much fun. Also why Valerian was such a let down, as much as I still enjoyed it. It just couldnt live up to the campy greatness of the fifth element.
- Dune (2021) was incredible, and I cant wait for the second part.

A couple fantasy series:
- Lord of the Rings. Dont really need to say much, they are great.
- Harry Potter series. Not the best ever, but always fun to watch through them.

A few others in no particular order (though kind of alphabetical as I am going through my plex list)
- The Big Lebowski
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Master and Commander
- The Other Guys (really really underrated movie in my opinion)
- Popstar (and Hot Rod, if we are doing lonely island stuff)
- The Prestige (though honestly most christopher nolan stuff could be on this list)
- Robin Hood Men in Tights and Spaceballs
- Shawshank Redemption
- Seven Years in Tibet
- Starship Troopers
- Walk Hard
- Wet Hot American Summer

Thats probably more than enough... Though I am sure more could be added.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #8,818 of 87,652
Great selections from you both.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

I fell in love with Marisa Tomei all over again after watching that.

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I forgot about Fincher. I would add Zodiac to my list.

The Life of Brian - agreed @Rockwell75 - one of the funniest movies ever made, comic genius.

Are you the Judean People's Front? Fcuk off...we're the People's Front of Judea! lmao brilliant.

(Wait til Biggus Dickus hears of this!)

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,819 of 87,652
Great selections from you both.

I fell in love with Marisa Tomei all over again after watching that.

I forgot about Fincher. I would add Zodiac to my list.

Are you the Judean People's Front? Fcuk off...we're the People's Front of Judea! lmao brilliant.

(Wait til Biggus Dickus hears of this!)
Yeah, and Philip Seymour Hoffman was off the charts brilliant. As much I love a good movie, great acting is very captivating to me.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #8,820 of 87,652
Interesting about cloud atlas. I watched it once a while ago. It was fine, but the slow pace and jumping back and forth between time periods made it all just feel like it was maybe not quite tight enough as an experience. Definitely time for a rewatch.

The thing about Cloud Atlas is that it's kind of like Pulp Fiction in that experiments with a really unique narrative structure that can be off putting until you grasp the underling theme...it's worth the effort though. Part of the appeal for me is that it's a cinematic representation of what I feel life is really all about-- groups of people reincarnate together on an evolutionary journey spanning milennia in search of greater expressions of freedom. The music in this movie is breathtaking and soul stirring too:

Also that knife throwing scene in kung fu hustle... pure comedy gold.

Axe Gang, my a$$!

So much of that movie is gold...and deep down all business and a serious exposition of martial arts philosophy. Having none other than Sammo Hung on hand to choreographs the fights was a stroke of genius.

This whole scene leading up to this is brilliant but I love the end with the Bruce Lee hommage and the car driving off with smoke billowing out the windows.

Master and Commander is also an incredible movie and incredibly underrated.

I'm a huge Peter Weir fan...Witness is another favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back