The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #8,821 of 88,394
Some really good movies mentioned here. A few faves that come to mind for me:
  • Jurassic Park
  • Gladiator
  • The Matrix
  • Apocalypto
  • Donnie Darko
  • Her
  • Into the Wild
  • Ong Bak
  • Enter the Void
  • Baraka

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #8,822 of 88,394
Some really good movies mentioned here. A few faves that come to mind for me:
  • Jurassic Park
  • Gladiator
  • The Matrix
  • Apocalypto
  • Donnie Darko
  • Her
  • Into the Wild
  • Ong Bak
  • Enter the Void
  • Baraka

Love The Matrix - planning to watch with my kids over the next couple of days. They are at an age now (13 and 17) where we can revisit classics like this with them.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #8,823 of 88,394
Thanks for your feedback :relaxed:

I won't add anything on Head-Fi's "review" as I leave actual reviews to better ones like @twister6. I merely do write-up more than anything else.

Dynamics are referred to as "The volume of a sound or musical note." Moon Audio has a very useful glossary but the way I perceive/describe it is how engaging the sound is.

Think boring versus exciting with both extremes being bad unless you specifically look for one or the other. Something too boring is, well, boring. Something too exciting can very quickly become fatiguing.

But this is my own read on it. YMMV.

Edit: @Ace Bee I forgot to precise that I don't own the IER-M9 anymore so I kept the comparison short as it was from memory though there's no question that the U6t are more engaging than the IER-M9 (but not fatiguing).
Thanks for the edit.

Additionally, I would like to point out that your write-ups are more relatable and easily perceivable than some other more elaborate reviews out there - hence I'd definitely prefer if you post them as actual full-fledged reviews also, or at least dedicate a standalone thread to them - The Vagrant Audiophile's thoughts and impressions. That will surely benefit our community.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #8,824 of 88,394
My Favorite Movies Throughout My Life (That I can Remember)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- I remember when this came out, and it affected me deeply. I took every friend I could find that was willing to watch it with me, I went to see this at least 6 times at the theatre alone
Magnolia- A long movie on the human condition, heart breaking and some of the best acting I have ever seen
Garden State- One of the best coming of age movies, period.
Requiem for a Dream- Heart breaking but one of my first encounters as a young man with the trials of addiciton
Forest Gump-Saw this when I was 10 years old, I laughed, I cried, I rejoiced, I got goosebumps and still watch this movie once a year!
Schindlers List- One of my favorite movies on Redemption and the human spirit to keep going despite the circumstances.
Pulp Fiction-Just a BADASS movie, reminded me of reading comics as a kid.
Reservoir Dogs- My cousin had me watch this when I honestly should not of been, I was much to young, but I was fascinated, even though dialogue heavy it stuck with me into my teenage years when I rewatched it and fell in love all over again, this time more intellectually, “Can you hear me now”
Shawshank Redemption- Probably the best movie on Redemption and the will to get through the hardest times, Freedom is in the mind!
Of Mice and Men-Watched this movie as a little boy and sobbed. Another movie about the error and hardness of the times. Heart wrenching.
The Matrix- A movie with more than just Action but plot that made me really think about the world around me in a deeper way, made me question everything.
The Shining-Hands down the best horror movie IMO. Pshycological horror the real deal.
Whiplash- A great movie on Fortitude and one of my favorite Music movies.
Good Will Hunting- I can watch this movie over and over and never bore. It touches the humaness in me and the acting is some of the most genuine I have come across.
Citizen Kane- A mysterious movie that made me understand cinematography as a whole, I watched this movie in college for a course I was taking and breaking it down really made me appreciate Orson Wells on a whole other level.
Old Yeller- The first movie to bring me to tears. A boy and his dog.
To Kill a Mockingbird- Another coming of age movie, that spoke to the person I am.
Jurassic Park- Saw this in the theatre with my Pops, this was at the start of surround sound in theatre’s. We could hear the thump and vibration of it pulling into the parking lot. An experience I will never forget.
Dead Poets Society- Another movie I watched as a child, that taught me about the human condition, love, loyalty and respect.
Dune(david lynch version)-Grew up watching this with my Dad, I remember being mesmerized by it all. The story to this day is one of my favorite science fiction stories ever. Ignited my imagination.
Rocky IV-The first Rocky movie I saw as a kid. My dad took me to the theatre and I was totally engulfed in it. Came home wanting to be a boxer, haha
The Wizard of OZ- A movie that my mom and I would watch every year around Christmas time, it would come on T.V. and it was customary for us to watch it together.
E.T.- The first movie my parents ever took me to.
Star Wars (original three)-Of course a child of the 80’s I was obsessed.
Karate Kid-Another movie I wanted to emulate. I begged my parents for a karate outfit with a blackbelt for months and guess what? They got it for me for Christmas that year, I was 5 I think.
The Wrestler-I saw this very recently, and man, this movie stuck with me for days and weeks and then months. It really made me sad and think about life as a whole and the struggles we all have. Moved me on an emotional level that triggered something inside of me. Great Acting and deserving of all the praise it received.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #8,826 of 88,394
Oh @ian91 only seeing Baraka now - so powerful. I've shed many a tear watching that, especially the scene in India with Dead Can Dance 'The Host of Seraphim' as the backing track... incredibly moving.
Ive not heard of this, I will need to watch it, just looked it up! I will watch tonight!

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #8,827 of 88,394
Love The Matrix - planning to watch with my kids over the next couple of days. They are at an age now (13 and 17) where we can revisit classics like this with them.

I'll be honest - one of the main motivators for me to eventually have children is to share movie classics with them.

Matrix 1,2 and 3 are best watched in short succession but to this day I feel the first one could have been left as a standalone outing. Let me know what your kids think. I remember watching it when I was about 11 or 12 and recreating the dojo fight scene in my front room - jeez, a long time ago now...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #8,829 of 88,394
Just thinking randomly through the list of movies I've seen more than 10 times.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shawshank Redemption
A Few Good Men
A Bronx Tale
Equalizer 1 & 2
Roxanne
Crazy Rich Asians
Bedazzled
Crocodile Dundee I and II
John Wick I, II, III
Men in Black
Money Ball
The Wolf of Wall Street
My Cousin Vinny
National Treasure
The Matrix series
Star Trek - all versions
Rudy
Hoosiers
Coach Carter
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Sound of Music
The Karate Kid
The Fiddler on the Roof.
Alien and Predator series

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #8,830 of 88,394
Karate Kid-Another movie I wanted to emulate. I begged my parents for a karate outfit with a blackbelt for months and guess what? They got it for me for Christmas that year, I was 5 I think.

I'm seeing alot of myself in your list. The original Karate Kid is shaped my childhood and I ended up doing karate, then Muay Thai into my teens.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #8,831 of 88,394
Garden State- One of the best coming of age movies, period.
Oh man, Garden State came out when I was 20 and really really really hit home for me. Thinking back on it now 17-18 years later and theres definitely a lot in that movie that wont hold up or things that feel cliche now (that wouldnt have then) that I havent gone back and rewatched it in a long time. But yea that one does still occupy a special place for me.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #8,832 of 88,394
I'll be honest - one of the main motivators for me to eventually have children is to share movie classics with them.

Matrix 1,2 and 3 are best watched in short succession but to this day I feel the first one could have been left as a standalone outing. Let me know what your kids think. I remember watching it when I was about 11 or 12 younger and recreating the dojo fight scene in my front room - jeez, a long time ago now...

I love watching movies with my kids. A ritual now with my son (13) to watch action or car related movies together. My daughter is 17 and she love the likes of Big Fish, Benjamin Button etc... we both generally have a few tears for these, I of course try to hide them!

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #8,833 of 88,394
Ive not heard of this, I will need to watch it, just looked it up! I will watch tonight!

If you enjoy them you may also enjoy Koyaanisqatsi and Samsara, that I enjoyed less but that share thematic parallels and are from the same director/writer - Ron Fricke.

Crocodile Dundee I and II

Oh boy. Another classic(s).

'That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!'

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #8,834 of 88,394
Oh @jwilliamhurst - The Wolf of Wall Street, love it but not suitable with my kids yet!

Big fan of Karate Kid also. My goal as a child was to be a ninja when I grew up... didn't work out unfortunately, pay was terrible.

I see lots more in other people's fantastic lists.

I should have mentioned the likes of Blow and many others of that ilk - I love true stories of drug lords etc.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #8,835 of 88,394
  • Donnie Darko

Love this even though I'm not sure I fully understand it after more viewings than i can count. The fact that I still WANT to is a testimony to how good it is. One of the best examples of using pop music in a film soundtrack to create atmosphere.

Love this so much-- I've owned it on VHS, DVD and BluRay-- it's worth watching in high quality. One of the best examples of visual storytellling.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- I remember when this came out, and it affected me deeply. I took every friend I could find that was willing to watch it with me, I went to see this at least 6 times at the theatre alone

LOVE this.

I was 8 when this came out and it pretty much took the baton from Star Wars in terms of shaping my childhood and youth. It's always held up well, even more so given how good Cobra Kai has turned out.

Crazy Rich Asians

Loved this. Two girls one CUPpa noodles.

Star Trek - all versions

I really enjoyed the first two films of the new franchise. The Wrath of Khan remake was particularly good. Cumberbatch as Khan was a stroke of genius.

Edit: Closing in on 600 pages boys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back