The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #8,836 of 87,777
Oh unrelated to this wonderful topic, but I was thinking this morning before getting out of bed how it might be interesting to hold sort of Fireside chats with guests from various brands or subject matter experts. Open discussion, Q&A type stuff - it occurred to me following the recent brief chat on how brands decide on tuning. Maybe a monthly slot to begin.

I'm sure it's been done elsewhere on Head-Fi but obviously not this group.

What do folks think?

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #8,837 of 87,777
Wut? No mention of Gladiator? Watch this and tell me it isn't one of the best movies of all time.
1640887588152.png

Not to mention the movie score is amazing on your favorite earphones or headphones.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #8,838 of 87,777
Wut? No mention of Gladiator? Watch this and tell me it isn't one of the best movies of all time.
1640887588152.png
Not to mention the movie score is amazing on your favorite earphones or headphones.
I think its been mentioned. But I agree, Gladiator is great, and I only didnt include it because I included enough others. Incidentally, this was also the first ever DVD I bought.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #8,839 of 87,777
Love this even though I'm not sure I fully understand it after more viewings than i can count. The fact that I still WANT to is a testimony to how good it is. One of the best examples of using pop music in a film soundtrack to create atmosphere.

If you wanted to spoil it, the Directors Cut offers better insight into Richard Kellys' intention. I saw the original theatrical cut many many years before seeing the DC and had my own, possibly more personal, interpretation of what happened but it's certainly more cohesive a movie when you actually understand it.

The music is what made that movie. It really ties it all together, especially with Gary Jules' 'Mad World' at the end as the camera pans over the cast reflecting on an experience they feel they've had but can't quite be sure. Such a stroke of genius.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #8,840 of 87,777
Edit: Closing in on 600 pages boys!
I haven't done the calculation, but my thumb in the air thinks we will hit 1000 pages by CanJam NYC.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #8,841 of 87,777
1640887588152.png
Amazing movie. I didn't include in my list all great movies. Just the ones that I have watched more than 10 times. What that really means is that whenever you see it on the movie guide, you switch to it and leave it there. Some great movies like The Lord of the Rings isn't one that you just switch to watch. You have to plan a time to watch it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #8,842 of 87,777
If you wanted to spoil it, the Directors Cut offers better insight into Richard Kellys' intention. I saw the original theatrical cut many many years before seeing the DC and had my own, possibly more personal, interpretation of what happened but it's certainly more cohesive a movie when you actually understand it.

Cheers I'll look into it.

The music is what made that movie. It really ties it all together, especially with Gary Jules' 'Mad World' at the end as the camera pans over the cast reflecting on an experience they feel they've had but can't quite be sure. Such a stroke of genius.

Indeed. Discussing this movie reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from it.

I'll tell you what he said...lmao...and the dad's response is so perfect.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #8,843 of 87,777
Getting back to music. I finally settled into my favorite way to listen to the RU6. I just plug it into the USB port of my laptop and listen while I type. It is the cleanest interface as I don't have to drain my iPhone battery and deal with all of lightning connectors and camera adapters to charge while listening. I do have velcro on the back so its easy to attach to my iPhone when I go for a walk, but its best use case is directly tethered to my laptop. Easier for critical listening and travel.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #8,844 of 87,777
This is fun! While my expertise is solidly in the domain of music, I enjoy a good film from time to time. My list is short and in no particular order mostly because I'm only considering movies that truly made a profound impression on me. I'm sure I can think of 10 other movies I enjoyed a lot, but definitely not at the level of these few:
  • Alien
  • The Shining
  • Lost in Translation
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • John Wick
I'm not replying individually but I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's lists. I know it's not actually a real way to gauge someone's personality but this definitely helps in filling in some of the picture on people whose thoughts (mostly on audio equipment) I read very often!

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #8,845 of 87,777
Oh unrelated to this wonderful topic, but I was thinking this morning before getting out of bed how it might be interesting to hold sort of Fireside chats with guests from various brands or subject matter experts. Open discussion, Q&A type stuff - it occurred to me following the recent brief chat on how brands decide on tuning. Maybe a monthly slot to begin.

What do folks think?

I think that's a great idea...good exposure.

Back onto music if minimal techno is your thing I discovered this gem today:

The artwork suits the snowy ambiance here today. The bassline is hypnotic.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #8,846 of 87,777
If you enjoy them you may also enjoy Koyaanisqatsi and Samsara, that I enjoyed less but that share thematic parrallels and are from the same director/writer - Ron Fricke.

Oh boy. Another classic(s).

'That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!'
Yep. And from "A Few Good Men"

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth....."

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #8,847 of 87,777
Discussing this movie reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from it.

A great scene! My friends and I used to quote, '...sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!!' when one us let the other down.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #8,848 of 87,777
This is fun! While my expertise is solidly in the domain of music, I enjoy a good film from time to time. My list is short and in no particular order mostly because I'm only considering movies that truly made a profound impression on me. I'm sure I can think of 10 other movies I enjoyed a lot, but definitely not at the level of these few:
  • Alien
  • The Shining
  • Lost in Translation
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • John Wick
I'm not replying individually but I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's lists. I know it's not actually a real way to gauge someone's personality but this definitely helps in filling in some of the picture on people whose thoughts (mostly on audio equipment) I read very often!
Oh yes. Need to include the Aliens and Predator series. Those movies are switch to material.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #8,849 of 87,777

What do folks think?
I agree! This would be rad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back