The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,036 of 88,283
I'm not sure I understand your question. What I was saying is just that all sound frequencies travel in air at the same speed.
You mentioned "it's got to be down, if any, to drivers not quite firing in perfect sync" and when reading that I thought one single driver may not be equally good and/or fast in reproducing all frequencies at the same time either. When a dynamic driver has to reproduce a 30 Hz tone it has to move further physically speaker than when reproducing 10,000 Hz. Thinking loudspeakers here it could be the difference between moving 1 cm vs 0.5 mm. That was the reason I thought single driver setups might create their own timing problems, because moving 1 cm costs more time than moving 0.5 mm.

drftr

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,037 of 88,283
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #4,038 of 88,283
Duo hit my local FedEx hub today-- I will have it tomorrow...it's been a while since I've purchased anything so I'm really relishing the anticipation-of-new-gear feeling. I'm particularly excited to compare it to my Dorado as all signs indicate it will present a nice complementary take on what is proving to be my preferred configuration & approximate target curve. I was struggling to find a comparison between the two and finally did in @ryanjsoo's review of the Duo:

"Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 ($1099): While many are quick to compare the Duo with CFA’s BA monitors, I do think the bassier hybrid Dorado targets a more similar niche. The Dorado 2020 has a similarly sized bass shelf but it is wider extending more linearly into both the sub and mid-bass. In turn, it comes across as slightly bassier and with a thicker note structure. The Duo is a bit cleaner and more separated. It doesn’t quite have the same assertive attack and sub-bass power as the Dorado, but sounds more defined and is slightly quicker decaying, enabling more defined notes overall. Meanwhile, the Dorado maximises dynamics having stronger impact properties at the cost of responsiveness.

The midrange is cleaner and more delicate on the Duo, being thicker, more robust and boxier on the Dorado. The Dorado has slightly less vocal presence with a better balance between instruments and vocals. It picks up a bit more warmth from the bass and has greater centre-midrange presence which gives it a grander note size. Meanwhile, the Duo is more progressive in its tuning, sounding more separated, balanced and natural, in turn. The Dorado does have a hint more lower-treble and less of an upper-mid dip, but not enough to fully counteract its greater body and warmth. In turn, it appeals most to those wanting such a full and hearty midrange voicing.

As aforementioned, the Dorado 2020 does have a slightly more prominent lower-treble while the Duo is slightly airier with greater middle-treble shimmer. The Dorado 2020 has a darker background and higher contrast in turn. Parallels can be seen between tia and TAEC in terms of note presentation, both delivering plenty of sparkle and a very clean response overall. I do think the Duo sounds a bit more nuanced. It has slightly better separation and texture, the Dorado 2020 is crispier with more bite but has less fine detail through the body of the note. The Duo provides a slightly larger stage altogether and better separation. The Dorado 2020 appears to offer slightly sharper localisation in return."

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #4,039 of 88,283
You mentioned "it's got to be down, if any, to drivers not quite firing in perfect sync" and when reading that I thought one single driver may not be equally good and/or fast in reproducing all frequencies at the same time either. When a dynamic driver has to reproduce a 30 Hz tone it has to move further physically speaker than when reproducing 10,000 Hz. Thinking loudspeakers here it could be the difference between moving 1 cm vs 0.5 mm. That was the reason I thought single driver setups might create their own timing problems, because moving 1 cm costs more time than moving 0.5 mm.

drftr

At 100Hz the diaphragm goes back and throw 100 times per second whereas at 10kHz it does the same 10 thousand times per second and consequently the amplitude of movement of the membrane is 100 times larger at 100Hz than it is at 10kHz. The membrane moves at the same speed for both frequencies.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #4,040 of 88,283
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #4,041 of 88,283
I have four and another 4 on order. The prices are a good deal. I have two Zeus, their top of the line cable. One is doing duty on my VE V8. It sounded better than my PW 1950s Century.
If you order from website, you can specify what ever connectors you want, strand numbers etc. Satin is being affected by the supply shortage and Covid. Check out reviews and prices and be ready to wait.
At the moment, MusicTeck has Chimera 2 and Medusa 2 in stock. I have the Chimera 2 on the new Moondrop Kato. Its a very nice combo for a single DD IEM. The Medusa 2 is on my Soft Ears RSV. Also a better than expected combo.
DO you have experience with their bottom of the line products? Hyperion is what I am interested in.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #4,042 of 88,283
Sinead a local to me in that she is Irish... a rather controversial lady over the years but some incredible music. Check out 'Nothing Compares to You' - try watch and listen on YouTube, pretty powerful.
You were right. I got blown away from the very first song - Jackie! Completely enamoured. Going through her second album now.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #4,043 of 88,283
At 100Hz the diaphragm goes back and throw 100 times per second whereas at 10kHz it does the same 10 thousand times per second and consequently the amplitude of movement of the membrane is 100 times larger at 100Hz than it is at 10kHz. The membrane moves at the same speed for both frequencies.
It's not what I'm trying to say but not knowing how to properly express my thoughts I guess I'm giving up. Tnx for your well-meant efforts though!

drftr

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #4,044 of 88,283
There’s more time alignment issues with speakers given the distance we sit from them but I think it’s less of an issue for headphones and iem

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,045 of 88,283
It's not what I'm trying to say but not knowing how to properly express my thoughts I guess I'm giving up. Tnx for your well-meant efforts though!

drftr

I've understood what you were saying and answered it. It just seems to me you do not understand this answer. The driver membrane moves at the same speed regardless of frequency. There is no time cost borne from the fact the amplitude of movement is greater at lower frequencies, the amplitude is greater because the frequency is lower. And the overall distance traveled by the membrane every second should be the same regardless of frequency.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #4,047 of 88,283
Yeah I thought the same thing when I held an SR15 in my hand which if I'm not mistaken is the same form factor.
Yeah, SR25 is surprisingly small, especially being used to most smartphones these days. I just love the size of it, fits in a pocket with no fuss at all, and leaves a bit of extra room for a cable connecter sticking out the top.

It is actually just a little larger than SR15, which is a good thing as it's just that little bit easier to navigate the UI, esp the on-screen keyboard.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,048 of 88,283
This is literally the album where I gave up on Led Zep! Isn't it funny how music works??? I'd rate Led Zeppelin I first, and then probably III, IV, and II. But ask me tomorrow and I might change the order of the last 3. Some epic songs on Physical for sure though! But I liked them best when raw and basic. For that reason Dazed And Confused is one of my favourites. I honestly think it's one of the heaviest songs ever. And yes, I've gone through the whole Venom, Slayer, Kreator, S.O.D., Testament circus, but think heavy is not just about decibels or blowing through speed limits.

drftr
I'll never be able to claim a favourite Led Zep album, each one have them have been my favourite at one time or another. If I was to make up a list of my favourite 10 Zep songs, each album would likely be represented, except maybe In Through The Out Door.

It's interesting for me that people talk about what album is better than the other. You only listen to music one song at a time. I don’t even know most of the time what song belongs to what album. I personally only rank songs, never albums. But YMMY of course
While I certainly enjoy playlists of individual songs, especially "My Daily Discovery" curated by Tidal's algorithms, for me Albums are the pinnacle of modern music, born out of the limitation imposed by 33 1/3 spinning vinyl discs, cassettes, and then 74-minute CDs. It takes a lot of effort from an artist to create a fully formed album's worth of material, and if there is anything about music I want to enjoy "as the artist intended", it is an album. Radiohead's recent re-release Kid A Mnesiac is a perfect example of 2 of them. And I still get super excited when I hear about a new album release from a favourite artist, eg I just learned that Beach House have a new one coming in a few weeks, with a few new tracks released today:
http://www.beachhousebaltimore.com

It used to be a PITA making mix tapes or mix CDs.
Really? I used to love obsessing this, taking my time and getting a mixtape or playlist sequenced just right within the time limit of the cassette. Now it's just find a new song I like and put it on my current "NewStuff{MMYY}" list so I don't forget it later..

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #4,049 of 88,283
Duo hit my local FedEx hub today-- I will have it tomorrow...it's been a while since I've purchased anything so I'm really relishing the anticipation-of-new-gear feeling. I'm particularly excited to compare it to my Dorado as all signs indicate it will present a nice complementary take on what is proving to be my preferred configuration & approximate target curve. I was struggling to find a comparison between the two and finally did in @ryanjsoo's review of the Duo:

"Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 ($1099): While many are quick to compare the Duo with CFA’s BA monitors, I do think the bassier hybrid Dorado targets a more similar niche. The Dorado 2020 has a similarly sized bass shelf but it is wider extending more linearly into both the sub and mid-bass. In turn, it comes across as slightly bassier and with a thicker note structure. The Duo is a bit cleaner and more separated. It doesn’t quite have the same assertive attack and sub-bass power as the Dorado, but sounds more defined and is slightly quicker decaying, enabling more defined notes overall. Meanwhile, the Dorado maximises dynamics having stronger impact properties at the cost of responsiveness.

The midrange is cleaner and more delicate on the Duo, being thicker, more robust and boxier on the Dorado. The Dorado has slightly less vocal presence with a better balance between instruments and vocals. It picks up a bit more warmth from the bass and has greater centre-midrange presence which gives it a grander note size. Meanwhile, the Duo is more progressive in its tuning, sounding more separated, balanced and natural, in turn. The Dorado does have a hint more lower-treble and less of an upper-mid dip, but not enough to fully counteract its greater body and warmth. In turn, it appeals most to those wanting such a full and hearty midrange voicing.

As aforementioned, the Dorado 2020 does have a slightly more prominent lower-treble while the Duo is slightly airier with greater middle-treble shimmer. The Dorado 2020 has a darker background and higher contrast in turn. Parallels can be seen between tia and TAEC in terms of note presentation, both delivering plenty of sparkle and a very clean response overall. I do think the Duo sounds a bit more nuanced. It has slightly better separation and texture, the Dorado 2020 is crispier with more bite but has less fine detail through the body of the note. The Duo provides a slightly larger stage altogether and better separation. The Dorado 2020 appears to offer slightly sharper localisation in return."

My Duos are* tracking for DHL delivery to me today. I totally share that 'incoming new toy' excitement! Fingers crossed we both enjoy the playing as much as we imagine.

*Or should that be 'Duo is'? Are IEMs by nature plural so we pluralise the product name, or is the combination of the two earpieces a singularity? LOL

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #4,050 of 88,283

Thanks for the share! I understand the DD and bassier hybrid models from CFA aren't the most popular with critics but from what I gather, are some of CFA's best selling models. I frequently receive messages requesting these comparisons so I'm glad they're helping out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back