The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #8,941 of 89,880
@Scuba Devils if you buy another ine you should buy another “burner” Dap 🤣

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #8,942 of 89,880
@Scuba Devils if you buy another ine you should buy another “burner” Dap 🤣

If my Gryphon ever arrives, it will be given the support role of burning! The burn station, which sounds more elaborate than it is - consists of DAPs sat on top of records that currently have no shelf but happen to be beside a socket when I need to charge the DAPs again!

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #8,943 of 89,880
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #8,944 of 89,880
We need it, but… I’m not sure if it’s safe connect 2000/3000$ IEMs to this toy🙈
https://www.linsoul.com/products/eveningstar-burn-in-a1
I for one run Tara Labs Cascade track looping out of a DAP... I was dubious but it goes beyond pink noise and sweep test, it's a series of descending and ascending (cascading) multi-octave square sweeps and well, it works wonder for me although it's always a highly debated subject as is burn in... I used to just run a playlist of various genres in loop and never looked too hard then I tried this. It seems to work very well at least for me.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #8,945 of 89,880
There has been discussion about ZEN PRO and harshness - which I have experienced on mine, but not on the tour unit a few weeks ago. At first I thought maybe they need time (which I'm sure they still do, I probably only have 40 hours on them now) but the other difference was I didn't have the n6ii-Ti when I had the tour unit. @ian91 suggested I lower the gain on the n6ii - it had been set to mid, I've switched to low and while naturally I need to crank the volume a bit, it has mellowed the ZEN PRO considerably - just where it needed some calming. Thanks Ian91, so far so good with what I've tested! Cayin recommend 200 hours for R01 burn-in also, I suspect I've about 60 only. I had also recently experienced the same with both IE900 and Dark Sky via R01 - not all music by any means, but certainly some challenging tracks and albums that had more activity and busy passages.

So many interesting variables to be considered in this hobby!

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #8,946 of 89,880
I for one run Tara Labs Cascade track looping out of a DAP... I was dubious but it goes beyond pink noise and sweep test, it's a series of descending and ascending (cascading) multi-octave square sweeps and well, it works wonder for me although it's always a highly debated subject as is burn in... I used to just run a playlist of various genres in loop and never looked too hard then I tried this. It seems to work very well at least for me.
I have a friend in Singapore - a fairly-known member of the local community - who's a self-proclaimed burn-in expert, and he says Tara Labs Cascade tends to give IEMs a tighter mid-bass. From that alone, I think you can imagine the amount of "fringe science" conversations I've had throughout my time there. :D

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #8,947 of 89,880
So, to all the happy and incredibly hospitable and....just all around super fine human beings here, hope you have a very prosperous new year of 2022 ahead, with reduced amount of misfortune and more amount of happiness. I bid goodbye to this year and welcome the new year with this fabulous track:

(I was head over heels in love with this track when I first discovered it in college, and I had a HUGE crush on the percussionist sister - the way she focused, the way she smiled during her solo...absolutely beautiful!)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #8,948 of 89,880
I have a friend in Singapore - a fairly-known member of the local community - who's a self-proclaimed burn-in expert, and he says Tara Labs Cascade tends to give IEMs a tighter mid-bass. From that alone, I think you can imagine the amount of "fringe science" conversations I've had throughout my time there. :D
Well at worst it works as well as playing music, so I am safe :)
But yeah burn in anyway is a hot subject

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #8,949 of 89,880
Yeah I'm going to put it back to my trusty ZX300
I miss that DAP sooo much… but sooo much… keep looking for a NIB in Silver at a decent price. It just lacked some power — that’s it. That matte glass screen — OMG this was one of the best features.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,950 of 89,880
I miss that DAP sooo much… but sooo much… keep looking for a NIB in Silver. It just lacked some power — that’s it. That matte screen — OMG this was one of the best features.

Yes lovely little DAP and served me well for about 3 years - travelled far and wide with me on many holidays and work trips!

Here she is now on burn-in duty!

20211231_185222.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #8,951 of 89,880
Due to the difference in the time-zone, and due to feeling a bit under the weather, I am late to the party as always. Nevertheless, I would still like to list the movies that I feel to go back to time and time again without feeling the slightest boredome:

1. The Intouchables (2011) - A french movie, and I have not seen another more beautiful movie on a most unusual friendship between two radically different men. What made it even more incredible was that it was based on a true event.

2. Schindler's List (1993) - I confess, I only started to watch this movie because it had Liam Neeson, and he was one of my most favourite action hero. However, I was not prepared for the emotional sucker punch it brought with it...but it was the first movie that made tears come out of my eye, in the scene towards the end of the movie where his Jewish employees gifted him the gold ring, and how he started to reflect that how many more people he could have saved if he did give up on the ring, his car, etc.

3. Me Before You (2016) - I have no words to express what I feel about this movie. However, this write-up I wrote some time before sums it up pretty well: https://www.enlightenment.ind.in/2021/09/18/me-before-you-pain-so-sweet-emotions-so-raw/

4. Oldboy (2003) - A brilliant movie, and not for the faint hearts. Loved it to the core.

5. Predestination (2014) - I'm surprised nobody talked about this. This was such a mind boggling time travelling experience and at the end when everything came together...goodness!

6. Apocalypto (2006) - The rawest movie I have watched, and I loved every freaking second of it. I watched it when I was still in school or just in college, but I can never forget it.

7. Babies Day Out (1994) - C'mon! This does not get a place in anyone's list? This movie is one of the purest comedy films I have ever watched that makes you go literally ROFL'ing, coupled with this -

8. Mousehunt (1997) - I love this mouse much much more than Stuart Little or Remy from Ratatouille. He was the OG michievous mouse, nobody stands against him. The fact that the movie was not animated makes it all the more wondrous. Just give it a watch and have oxygen supply nearby or you're gonna choke with laughter.

9. The Dark Knight (2008) - And here come the movies which I love because of their incredible villains, the first, of course, being the Joker. No other villain had sent such a chill down the spine before.

10. Inglorious Bastards (2009) - Hans Landa earns the second place, and this is the movie where I fell in love with Christoph Waltz. Loved him in Django: Unchained as well, and to me he was the main character of the movie, not Django. Also, I loved Leonardo Di Caprio's character in this movie like no other, because of the fact that he kept on acting like nothing happened even after the gruesome injury.

11. No Country For Old Man (2007) - Anton Chigurh, the calm, nonchalant, level-headed killer with just enough dash of insanity to push him past the threshold of legendary. Javier Bardem was at his finest here. The eyes and the smile made me shiver on the inside.

12. Exam (2009) - I am a fan of closed room thriller and this is at its peak. The increasingly changing dynamics and interactions are something to behold.

13. Bad Times at The El Royale (2018) - Another closed room thriller with stunning visuals and build up. I had no idea that Dakota Johnson can play such a radically powerful character (hated her in 50 shades...those movies were only good for watching with the left hand), and Chris Hemsworth....let's just say I never once was reminded of Thor while I saw him in this movie. Brilliant, just brilliant.

14. Lost In Translation (2003) - The ultimate feel good movie for me. The subtle dynamics between the characters, the delicate emotions, the incredible acting of Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray...nothing comes close. Nope, nothing.

15. Dead Poets Society (1989) - O captain, my captain....Robin Williams at his finest!

16. Nightcrawler (2014) - I'll be honest, I expected it to be on the X-man Nightcrawler. However, what came out was one of the most pleasant surprises, and this was the first time I saw Jake Gyllenhal. To me, this is till date his finest performance. Yep, I have a thing for cold and calculative characters, despite being a radically opposite person myself. May be it's my alter ego, who knows?

17. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Snatch (2000) - Listed them together because they are more alike than different, and both of them are equally hilarious and fast paced. I simply loved Jason Statham in these movies.

18. Fight Club (1999) - I don't think any introduction for this is needed.

19. Some Like It Hot (1959) - Holla! How could I forget this until now?! Pure comedy again! And the last dialogue will never fail to make me crack up - "Nobody's Perfect!"

20. The Blind Side (2009) - This is such an incredible movie about love and connection...I can never not recommend this!

I can go on and on, but I have to stop myself here. Dang, I also have to note down the movies you guys listed and have to download them soon!
Oh, your list reminded me that I forgot the "Untouchables" and "The Blind Side." Fantastic movies that I've watched over 10 times eah.

Jim Malone: You wanna get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #8,952 of 89,880
There has been discussion about ZEN PRO and harshness - which I have experienced on mine, but not on the tour unit a few weeks ago. At first I thought maybe they need time (which I'm sure they still do, I probably only have 40 hours on them now) but the other difference was I didn't have the n6ii-Ti when I had the tour unit. @ian91 suggested I lower the gain on the n6ii - it had been set to mid, I've switched to low and while naturally I need to crank the volume a bit, it has mellowed the ZEN PRO considerably - just where it needed some calming. Thanks Ian91, so far so good with what I've tested! Cayin recommend 200 hours for R01 burn-in also, I suspect I've about 60 only. I had also recently experienced the same with both IE900 and Dark Sky via R01 - not all music by any means, but certainly some challenging tracks and albums that had more activity and busy passages.

So many interesting variables to be considered in this hobby!

I think it is source sensitive. I've heard that about the n6ii TI too. I get a bit of harshness from the M8 (which I've come to see is a bit v-shaped) but nothing at all with the SR25ii or RU6.

I had the ZX300 and didn't like the sound. It sounded garbled and compressed to me. YMMV etc.

Oh, your list reminded me that I forgot the "Untouchables" and "The Blind Side." Fantastic movies that I've watched over 10 times eah.

Jim Malone: You wanna get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way

Sir Sean was the real deal. He was filming a movie in 1957 with Lana Turner and the two of them were filming a love scene or something when her jealous ex mafioso boyfriend "Johnny Stompanato" stormed the set with a gun and confronted them-- Connery stood up, grabbed his wrist & disarmed him before laying him out with a right hook. Bond indeed.

Edit: I just learned that Betty White passed away. RIP to a true beauty and a legend.

269974982_10159578097512209_5433259291161234037_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #8,953 of 89,880

Untouchables is a different movie. The one on his list is a french movie. They are both great nonetheless.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #8,954 of 89,880
Untouchables is a different movie. The one on his list is a french movie. They are both great nonetheless.
I know. I said it reminded me of The Untouchables, not that he actually listed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back